• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I currently carry a Maglite LED 2 cell AA flashlight. I like every feature of the light but it's so cheaply made. I'm constantly having to tap on it because it is either dim or won't come on.

Here's the features I want.

Belt Holster
    LED
    2 AA batteries
    Adjustable focus

The Maglites run about $20. I'm not averse to spending more than that but I don't want to spend a bunch and lose it at work. I want a light that's going to turn on every time until the batteries burn out. I don't want some ninja tactical light with spikes that's elventy billion dollars.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    This may seem like a stupid question, but what do you want to do with it?

There are a lot of good lights out there that are quality flashlights. Most of them are not optimal for defensive use.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Streamlight PT 1L

I got this one and it is in it's holster on my belt whenever I am dressed. I had the mini mag lights for years and this thing is far,far superior in every way. Batteries are cheap online and last a long time. The C4 led is so much brighter and longer lasting than any bulb that it is in a totally different class. I have had mine for about two years now and will never buy a conventional flashlight again. :D

PS: I do in home service work and have used this at work for nearly two years until I recently retired. As previously stated I would never go back to a conventional flashlight.

Link to this light on e-bay: streamlight pt 1l | eBay

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I carry the Streamlight PT2L (CR123 version). They have a AA version. The beam is non-adjustable, however.

rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Fenix LD20 R5 Black (180 Lumens)

Similar to the Fenix LD21 above but brighter and has belt scabbard in addition to a clip. I bought it as a birthday gift for a good friend of mine. It was $50 at Amazon. Impressive light. For myself I would probably be just has happy with the LD21.

I like the 2 AA cell lights since the batteries are cheap and easy to find. Of course, that makes the light longer and more slender. If you like the shorter light with slightly larger diameter body, then you will be using a 123 battery.

There are many very good lights out there so good luck choosing.:D

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I use the light at work. It has to be AA batteries as I get them free at work. I'm not shelling out the money for 123's for a work light. I like the adjustable focus for lighting up different distances. I've seen very few led lights that are adjustable focus. I want the holster to keep on my belt as I carry way too much crap in my pockets as it is. I'll check out the lights recommended here. Thanks for all your replies.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Fenix LD20 R5 Black (180 Lumens)

Similar to the Fenix LD21 above but brighter and has belt scabbard in addition to a clip. I bought it as a birthday gift for a good friend of mine. It was $50 at Amazon. Impressive light. For myself I would probably be just has happy with the LD21.

I like the 2 AA cell lights since the batteries are cheap and easy to find. Of course, that makes the light longer and more slender. If you like the shorter light with slightly larger diameter body, then you will be using a 123 battery.

There are many very good lights out there so good luck choosing.:D

Is this the type of holster that comes with the LD20?
    Fenix Flashlight Belt Clip AB02 - Fenix Tactical LED Flashlights - fenixtactical.com - fenix-led

The Maglite comes with a cheap little pouch but it actually has pretty decent retention. I want it to hold well so then my only worry should be laying the light somewhere and not picking it back up.

rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    No, the Fenix that I bought came with a scabbard made out of ballistic nylon. Well made. The link you have above is for something a little more costly. I noticed they have several different types of flashlight and scabbard packages so it could come with it for more money.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    After my last post, I think I finally found a pic of the holster. It looks like it has a Velcro strap that covers it and a little plastic d ring at the top. Does it have a belt loop? I would presume it does.

Also, I wonder if replacement clear lenses are available and if I could order a few when I order the light. The lens on my maglites wil cloud up over time and really reduces the light output.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Another question on the Fenix LD20. It says there are different brightness settings. Do you change the brightness setting with the tail cap or something else? I'd think it'd get tiresome to click the thing several times to turn it on and off if you primarily use 1 level of brightness.

Pete

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    I use the Streamlight Stylus Pro. I know it is a penlight but it gives bright high intensity light which is good for old guy eyes. It uses AAA batteries & claims to run 7 1/2 hours on a battery change. It was under $25.00 when I bought it through the maintenance shop (we get a discount from our MRO supplier) . It now lists for $37.00. I've got one in the my toolbag, in the truck & in my desk at work.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I have a great light I use for my walk around inspection of the beer truck in the dark, that I bought at Lowes, it's a Coast LED Lenser that I got for about $39.00, variable focus beam, 20 25 lumens low, 165 high, uses 3 AAA's.

My B.I.L. went to buy on a couple of months ago and they no longer are selling the LED Lenser line, but they are no offering a Coast model that's rated at I think it's the HP7 is what he said and it's rated around 250 high/55 low (if memory serves me right) and uses 4 AAA's.

If it's quality is anything like mine, it will be rock solid, I've had mine for over 4 years and love it. I also still carry it's little brother in my suv rated at 65 lumen and have had it 6 years.

Dirc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Noblesville
    Another question on the Fenix LD20. It says there are different brightness settings. Do you change the brightness setting with the tail cap or something else? I'd think it'd get tiresome to click the thing several times to turn it on and off if you primarily use 1 level of brightness.

I don't own this specific model, but the way they normally work is that you click the switch all the way in and out to turn it on or off, and half-press the button to change the level. Most quality brands will remember your last setting and come back on at the same level.

It sounds awkward typing it out but it's completely natural once you do it once or twice. Kind of like easing your slide back a half inch to see if you have a round chambered instead of pulling it all the way to the rear.

Top Bottom