• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I bought a Shark Lift Away Pro a year ago and think it's great. Bought it from Bed Bath and Beyond using their 20% off coupon. All the little attachments for it make cleaning up cat hair off furniture and cleaning my laminate flooring pretty easy.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    What is breaking on it?

My mother has an old school filter queen that has been in serious use since I remember. It is still going strong for what has to be 30+years now.

rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    Buy an Oreck

Dyson's are overpriced boat anchors. Save your money and buy an Oreck for about $100-$150 and it will last you forever. We've had ours for many years with no problems and it's super light to move around.:twocents:

Last edited:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Well, I used to go the Eureka route and replace the vacuums on a yearly or so basis. Now I don't have to. We have a refurbished Rainbow and it beats anything I've ever had. It's totally bag less and produces zero dust and emissions. It has a water compartment that filters the air. Nothing escapes and you just pour the slurry out when you're done. It can also be used as a whole room air filter and it works better than anything. Cleans the air brilliantly. They're a bit pricey but well worth the money you'll spend for one. I'll never buy any other type. It cleans better than anything I've ever had.

Rainbow® Cleaning System

You can check with a local dealer or a vacuum repair place and you might be able to find a refurb. I got mine as a hand me down from dad after he replaced his old one with a new one. After 25 years.

Also some on Ebay and other places.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I'm glad I saw this thread. I have a dog that sheds like he's 5 long haired dogs and am in the market for a new vacuum. I had a Kirby for quite some time and loved it but the belt on it broke constantly. After replacing it over a dozen times the motor finally went out on it. :noway:

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Im another for the Kirby. Got ours from her grandmother, and its great! 5 years vacuuming all the time, and I have changed the bags out. I know you arent wanting bags, but this beast is solid!

Hanu

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2011
    I love my Dyson. I've had it for years with absolutely no problems. It managed to keep up with two cats (one of which sheds just for spite) and a Golden Retriever. Plus a husband who WON'T take his shoes off when he comes into the house.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I heard the Shark mentioned above is the new hotness. One of my buddies bought the Rainbow, but I could never shell out the cash for one. I end up buying a new cheap one every 4 or 5 years I'm afraid. The guy that bought the Rainbow has a maid now though, so maybe I could buy it off him on the cheap...

grasshopperlegs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Cartersburg.
    After working on all kinds of Vacs and using many in a carper cleaning business I feel that the Riccar for me was the best. It doesn't cost a lot but it also isn't cheap. The kirbys,Rainbows,Filterqueens and Even the Dysons are over priced. I have had dysons and I had switch problems from the start. They fixed it but I had to go through all kinds of hoops to get it fixed. So now I have a Riccar and I have had it for a long time and just about every vac shope has them so there is something to say about them. Good luck

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I'll have to say to buy an Oreck.

I have an Oreck XL right now. It's light and I like it. It does use bags though. You can buy the bags at Walmart or Meijer.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    I LOVE my Dyson. It's the Animal model that's supposed to be really good with animal hair. I've had it since before I moved to IN so going on almost 10 years with no repairs or issues

Drako

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Lawrence
    I bought a Shark Lift Away Pro a year ago and think it's great. Bought it from Bed Bath and Beyond using their 20% off coupon. All the little attachments for it make cleaning up cat hair off furniture and cleaning my laminate flooring pretty easy.

I also bought this vacuum at the same place and used the 20% off coupon. I couldn't speak more highly. I did a lot of YouTube-ing before my purchase. I can't afford a Dyson. But wanted something good. In the videos I watched this one was always first or second to some vacuum 3x the price. I have 4 birds a dog and 2 cats. No easy task that I ask of this machine and I'm thrilled.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I love my Dyson. I've had it for years with absolutely no problems. It managed to keep up with two cats (one of which sheds just for spite) and a Golden Retriever. Plus a husband who WON'T take his shoes off when he comes into the house.

I've have mine for 2 or 3 years. 4 cats, a German Shedder, two kids and a husband and all the crap we bring in from the sandbox, chicken coop, construction projects, etc. I love it. Carpets, hardwoods, vinyl. One vac. Attachments are easy to use. I've not had one problem with it yet. Easiest thing in the world to empty. And the filters in mine are rinse, dry, and re-use.

On the other hand, my mom bought a Rainbow in 1993 and is still using it. Though I think she might have mentioned that the motor is starting to go out/overheat. The water trap is nice, but I hope the newer models redesigned the well. Hers is a PITA to empty completely. And it's nasty with all the hair that accumulates with pets, so you have to be able to dump it in a place than can accommodate wet but won't have a problem collecting dried hair mats. Unless you want to clean that up too.

Top Bottom