• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    The trusty-ol'-pickup has started sending up regular smoke signals to remind me that I need to be shopping! So, what car should i be looking at? What am I over-looking?

Needs:
    under $20k. or $25k, if exciting. Definitely under $30k, cuz you can find anything under the sun for less than $30k. But, under 20k....
    I drive ~500 miles per week.
    Average of 1.0 occupants. No kids to worry about.
    Must not be so boring that i pray for a deadly car crash every time i drive somewhere. Must not induce depression.
    No SUV's or Minivans because they're both depressing human-moving-appliances.

I would love something fun, but I don't want a mustang/camaro/challenger because I'm not ready for the crowd-crashes/mullet/also-mullet lifestyle changes.
    I would love something practical with enough space for roadtrips and enough MPG's and comfort for all the mileage.
    I feel like I can't afford a pick-up truck any more. The prices have gone insane.
    Must have impeccable reliability. My current truck gets tires and brakes, and if i happen to think of it, oil changes every solstice.

I'll list some examples of where my brain goes. Hopefully y'all can provide some insight:
    Jeep Wrangler: Awesome but so stinkin expensive. Technically a dumb idea for so many highway commuting miles.
    Honda Civic Si: It's a civic, so reliable commuter car, but Si because manual transmission and 'sporty'
    Chevy Silverado Regular cab short bed: Expensive, but V8, but bad mileage, but Truck.
    VW TDi: mileage! reliable? Diesel! Roll Coal!
    Ford Forcus/Fiesta ST: see civic: commuter car, but more fun! Do they suck to drive regularly?
    Ford Fusion Hybrid: 40mpgs family car! big fuel tank equal big range. I would love range, I hate stopping for gas. Hybrid Reliability?
    Ford Fusion Sport: Twin Turbos! reliabilty? AWD launches! Turbo Reliability?
    Chevy S10: a thousand bucks and I just buy a new one every time it breaks down.

So there ya go. I've narrowed it down to something between a tiny economy car and a full-size truck. Any advice appreciated! Sort of thinking out loud here.
    Thanks!

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Take a look at the Hyundai sonatas. Good gas, new ones are fairly sporty... pretty loaded for a good price. I would buy a one year old with a few miles as they depreciate a bit right off the bat.

I love our 2016 and I had an e39 M5 before this.

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Accord EX-L V6, or V6 Touring. Interior feels out of a much higher class car then it has any business doing, and its got the oomph to have fun when you want to. Only gripe is they don't make them in a manual, unless you go for an older gen coupe. I went through a car search just over a year ago, and wanted something "sporty" that would also fit my kids with no problems. Narrowed it down to Charger RT and Accord V6. After driving both it was no longer a debate, and the Honda, believe it or not, is almost just as quick...research it if you don't believe it, I didn't either....

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    No Civic Si in 21. Coming back in 22 with new generation Civic. The Civic EX has a 174 HP turbo 1.5.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Just thinking out loud, thinking about how much I dislike the whole concept of paying interest...

Are there a lot of relatively new used cars to think about? Has the bank bug created a pool of cars people have had to let go?
    From somewhere lately I heard figures on car notes that were behind and delinquent and the numbers were just staggering.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Don't pick a turbo car of any kind. Your lack of regular and timely oil changes and air filter changes will end badly with a turbo engine of any kind. I believe the 2016 and older Civic SI is NA.
    Toyota Camry 3.5 V6 is 300hp and pretty good mileage.

Knight Rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Michiana
    I recommend you take a look at a diesel-gate era Passat TDI. There are tons with very low miles, fun to drive, and major extended warranties on engine, fuel system and emissions. Yes I have one. Oh yeah, 40+ mpg.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I shop based on size in lieu of economy, because if you are involved in a collision you want to be the winner. And there are a lot of people driving these days that lack the quick reasoning and reaction skills that are necessary to avoid said collision. Or, they are simply impaired by any number of chemicals.

The OG really likes the Subaru Crosstreck; a vehicle with award winning safety features but it's too small vs. a semi tractor-trailer (there are impaired truck drivers out there too). I've been pushing her toward the Toyota Highlander (she likes to say "there can be only one!) because it's bigger, gets good fuel economy and will run forever-ish.

I've never been one to deem fuel economy over safety. I want to go home after an unexpected vehicle encounter.

If not a comfortable cruiser, get an F150 and be done with the matter.

Last edited:

zer0day

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2019
    Munster
    Do you own your home or have you done a refi to get in around the 3% rates? Depending on your position on that you may be able to do a cash out refinance and buy something straight out and if you have some cash savings you were diverting into the vehicle, you can put that towards somethings else.
    Me personally, I have been looking at the GMC Terrains. They have AWD models for around 25-30k depending on how fancy you want them. Awesome warranties too.

Last edited:

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I just bought a 2018 vw gli This past year. I absolutely love it. I can fit a 10 foot bundle of pipe and a 6 foot ladder with all my electrical tools and material. Even loaded down, I'm still averaging 31 mpg driving around the city/ highway 50/50 split with an average of 30-45 mins of idling in parking lots daily.. It's fast enough to be interesting, but not fast enough to think you have to race everyone.

This is the sedan version of the gti. I bought used with about 40k miles for $18k

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    The trusty-ol'-pickup has started sending up regular smoke signals to remind me that I need to be shopping! So, what car should i be looking at? What am I over-looking?

Needs:
    under $20k. or $25k, if exciting. Definitely under $30k, cuz you can find anything under the sun for less than $30k. But, under 20k....
    Must not be so boring that i pray for a deadly car crash every time i drive somewhere. Must not induce depression.

I would love something fun, but I don't want a mustang/camaro/challenger because I'm not ready for the crowd-crashes/mullet/also-mullet lifestyle changes.
    I would love something practical with enough space for roadtrips and enough MPG's and comfort for all the mileage.
    I feel like I can't afford a pick-up truck any more. The prices have gone insane.
    Must have impeccable reliability. My current truck gets tires and brakes, and if i happen to think of it, oil changes every solstice.

I'll list some examples of where my brain goes. Hopefully y'all can provide some insight:
    Jeep Wrangler: Awesome but so stinkin expensive. Technically a dumb idea for so many highway commuting miles.
    Honda Civic Si: It's a civic, so reliable commuter car, but Si because manual transmission and 'sporty'
    Chevy Silverado Regular cab short bed: Expensive, but V8, but bad mileage, but Truck.
    Ford Forcus/Fiesta ST: see civic: commuter car, but more fun! Do they suck to drive regularly?
    Ford Fusion Hybrid: 40mpgs family car! big fuel tank equal big range. I would love range, I hate stopping for gas. Hybrid Reliability?

So there ya go. I've narrowed it down to something between a tiny economy car and a full-size truck. Any advice appreciated! Sort of thinking out loud here.
    Thanks!
    Not sure If you gotta haul anything, but the wife's fusion with the ecoboost kicks butt. 50 to 90 in nothing flat. I was/am very impressed by it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Just thinking out loud, thinking about how much I dislike the whole concept of paying interest...

Are there a lot of relatively new used cars to think about? Has the bank bug created a pool of cars people have had to let go?
    From somewhere lately I heard figures on car notes that were behind and delinquent and the numbers were just staggering.
    SOoooooooooo many of those cars end up being abused.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

Needs:

Thanks!
    A BMW 3 series old enough to have the straight six and a 6 speed manual or an S2000

Top Bottom