• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I want this PK360 so bad I can't stop thinking about it.....

full

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Depending on budget I'd start with a BGE style cooker, non ceramic. It'll get your feet wet on if you like the insulated style kamado grills.

https://www.menards.com/main/outdoo...reg-kamado-charcoal-grill/p-1444423398425.htm

Exactly what I bought (3-4 years ago now), still in great shape & have smoked Pork Butt, Chicken, Turkey, etc. Use as a grill also, use the Weber SS great that sets on lower teir. I do use a digi Q when smoking. Paid $149 on sale, & got 11% Rebate.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    You’re obviously familiar with the BGE but I’ll add in my 2 cents. It cannot be beat for versatility, effectiveness, and longevity.

Yes, the initial expense is high but after that you’re done (other than lump charcoal). A friend of mine has a rec tec and it does put out good smoked food. But pellets are relatively expensive and it uses a lot of them. I buy lump charcoal when it’s on sale and can do a lot of cooks out of 1 bag because of how efficient it is.

Versatile....pizzas at 600 degrees, spatchcock chicken on a raised grid direct at 400, indirect smokes for brisket or ribs at 210 degrees....you can even set it up to cold smoke cheese or fish.

Ive had mine 10 years and all of the internal ceramics and metal parts have been replaced under warranty. You won’t ever buy another grill/smoker. Ever. That’s why they’re expensive.

10 years later and I still think it’s the best home goods purchase I’ve ever made. And I have peace of mind knowing it will be just as good for as long as I have it.

maansmit

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    Greenfield

IrishSon of Liberty

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    After 22 years of grilling on the same Charbroil Meijer special & smoking with a heavily modified El Cheapo Brinkman, I too splurged this year to upgrade to one single outdoor kitchen appliance.

I opted for the Traeger Pro22. Thus far, I have never found myself in a situation where I needed to cook for a small army, so grate real estate has been ample for my needs. The ceramic cook grate cleans up exceptionally well, and two minutes with a shop vac takes care of the ash. Replace foil on the drip pan, & you're back in business within minutes. Food as been very consistent (two built in temp probe monitors), and as for the cost of pellets, it's all in how you shop & how often you cook. I no longer have propane tanks, bags of briquette & lump charcoal, bags of various wood chunks, paper, fire starter, etc all taking up garage space. Instead, I have neatly stacked 5 gal buckets clearly labeled with each pellet type (cherry, hickory, pecan, gourmet). The gourmet pellet is a blend sold exclusively via Costco in a larger than standard bag, and it will work for every cooking need on a Traeger. I purchased mine thru the local Ace Hardware & soon thereafter received a card for $2 off a bag of pellets, good for an entire year, regardless how many times you use it. As an added bonus, the model I purchased has a blued lid!

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    While this thread is old, it is the newest on the subject. I am looking into smokers. I really want set and forget as life does strange things when something must be monitored closely. The smoker will live on the deck (under a cover) but will be used year-round. So the cold is a factor to consider. I like LP grills (sue me!) and have never had luck with charcoal for cooking. Electric seems like they will struggle in our winter. Suggestions?

The Orion one mentioned above looks interesting. THough low and slow is what some cuts need to be nice and tender -- cooking with the Orion would seem to defeat that.

Can't do the BGE. Not in the price range.

Help this guy out. I have 2 deer in the freezer that are screaming to have their shoulders smoked!

Thanks

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I just got a Rec tec 700. Need to get better at cooking on it. I have a dry brined spatchcocked turkey in the fridge now. Hope to cook tomorrow.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Rectec. For winter, get a water heater blanket and throw it over the smoker.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/UltraTo...ot-Water-Heater-Blanket-60301-48752/202710039

I used to use moving blankets when it got cold. They worked well, but I built a double wall insulated smoker.

Good advice on the grill binky! One of the things that make the "egg" cookers so good is that they are so well insulated. Anything you can do to retain the heat in any weather but especially cold weather will improve the experience all the way around.

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    Femurphy has it right. Yes, the “egg” cookers are expensive, but they work in all types of weather. I’ve used my Kamado Joe on the back deck when there was enough snow on the deck that I had to clear a path from the outside door to the cooker and it did just fine. Can’t beat that thick ceramic insulation!

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Last edited:

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Just had the winter vs un-insulated smoker conversation last week and pondered a $15 pony saddle blanket from Amazon for the barrel style Pit Boss to also act as a dust cover out in the garage. Do you think I'd be wasting my money on the idea?

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    I usually am a cry once guy. But I don't know how much we will use the smoker. Right now I want to keep costs down. Black Friday makes things possible. Already have LP.

Sigh. This makes my head hurt.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    The only bad thing about smoking meats is that you have to plan it out at least a day, if not a week ahead of time.

If you want to eat at 6 and it requires a 12 hour smoke, then you get to start cooking around 4 or 5 AM, depending on how quickly you can get the temperature stabilized.

It is TOTALLY worth it though. You smoke a big brisket or a roast and you have delicious dinner and lunch for days.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Thanks for the tip!! I have a hard time getting my Chargriller grill/smoker to hold temp.

I have the same rig you do as well as a design built smoker. The chargriller served me well for several years but the biggest problem was heat loss. I still plan on doing some more mods to it to make it a better smoker in spite of the fact I have a purpose built smoker. I've had a lot of fun with the chargriller and trying to improve it as a smoker. My next mod is going to be adding an internal second skin about 1/2" in from the original. The thinking is that the layer of air between the two will insulate and hold the heat a little better. I realize there are better ways to do this but I've got a little Tim Allen in me. [video=youtube;hLnFdYt4yZw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLnFdYt4yZw[/video]

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    The only bad thing about smoking meats is that you have to plan it out at least a day, if not a week ahead of time.

If you want to eat at 6 and it requires a 12 hour smoke, then you get to start cooking around 4 or 5 AM, depending on how quickly you can get the temperature stabilized.

It is TOTALLY worth it though. You smoke a big brisket or a roast and you have delicious dinner and lunch for days.

You are absolutely correct! The GF preps the meat the day before and then on the morning of I usually get up at 2 a.m. to get the smoker where I want it. With a little luck the meat is in the smoke by 3 or so. We keep the smoker temp around 230 so we're in it for about 16 hours total. This is with a couple of 10-12 lb butts. We may not eat until 8 or 9 that night! We pull the meat apart and freeze it in 1-2 lb batches and eat on it for quite awhile. Typically it's just the two of us so we don't get to smoke near as much as I'd like but we do occasionally throw a chicken in the smoker for a quick smoke for late lunch.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have the same rig you do as well as a design built smoker. The chargriller served me well for several years but the biggest problem was heat loss. I still plan on doing some more mods to it to make it a better smoker in spite of the fact I have a purpose built smoker. I've had a lot of fun with the chargriller and trying to improve it as a smoker. My next mod is going to be adding an internal second skin about 1/2" in from the original. The thinking is that the layer of air between the two will insulate and hold the heat a little better. I realize there are better ways to do this but I've got a little Tim Allen in me. [video=youtube;hLnFdYt4yZw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLnFdYt4yZw[/video]

Using a Heat Shield is a great way to insulate a surface from direct heat. Keeping the temp down on the lid will reduce convection loss linearly. That should keep the interior temp up.

The other thing that will help me is using actual wood in my firebox instead of charcoal. I'm going to get/make a basket as well and see if that helps keep the temp and airflow up.

I had to finish my last brisket in the oven. :(

Top Bottom