• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    Some of the best toys come in boxes that you cannot read. It also helps when said box is rather large.
    16595892252_5562a66c18_o.jpg

I do have to say, I've been rather anxious for this to arrive. Its the largest thing I've ever ordered, thats for sure. Inside the box, was another box. Surprise! I'll spare the details, but once I got past the Matryoshka doll packing job I was greeted with my brand new 40 watt CO2 Laser engraver/cutter.

15974351364_595ffb7f9c_o.jpg

All is not well though. Once I spun the machine around to access the laser tube, I noticed something was a bit off. My brand new laser cutter seemed to be crying. The rear panel was wet. Well, it did just travel halfway across the world for me. I'm sure the trip over was a bit rough. I've been worried about the laser tube breaking during shipment ever since I ordered it. This laser had been test fired before, and seemed to have passed. So, off to packing it went. Unfortunately, they didn't drain all of the water out of the cooling system that surrounds the lasers core tube. Water + Winter = Ice. Ice expands. Glass does not take kindly to this act of physics, naturally, but it does leave some pretty cool icicles behind. :)

16409498320_1aa9b25587_o.jpg

Well, that explains why there is water leaking all over the place. There is supposed to be a glass port for the water inlet over on this side, but the ice expanded inside and broke it off. After letting the ice inside the tube melt, everything else seems to be fine. I've already contacted the seller and told him what happened. Right now they are on holiday for the Chinese New Year, but he said he should have some more information for me by the 25th. Of course I'm not going to settle for anything less than a new replacement tube. If I were to purchase one myself it would cost about $200 before shipping. *NOT* cheap to replace. Once I get the new tube in, this one will be making a trip to Kokomo Opalescent Glass to see if they can stick a new barb where the old one broke off. I don't think the laser core glass is damaged, but if it is I'll still have a really cool looking wallhanger.

16409490020_e1b8887bae_o.jpg

16410672739_cf52092ffe_o.jpg

As far as the electronics go, the controller and software supplied with these engravers SUCKS. So much so, that it is better in the long run to cut your losses and buy a new off the shelf controller system to stick in here. The nice one I want would double the money I have in this machine though, so I plan to build my own controller board. I have several options here and I've not come to a decision on which route I want to go though. Risha, LAOS, RepRap, etc.. Since this is just a 2 axis machine (X, and Y) the stock controller is pretty dinky.
    16595886352_d43a89dd80_o.jpg

Yep, that's all there is. Well, a big honking power supply is tucked away in here too since it takes 24,000v to trigger the laser beam.

That's all I have for now. I'm still tearing the rest of the machine down. There is no way I am plugging this into my wall until I make sure that the Chinese aren't trying to kill me first. I've seen the power supplies in machines identical to this one explode, and its pretty common for some other stuff to be wrong inside here.

Aside from adding a new controller, I do plan on adding in a few other features that these machines lack. Namely, safety devices. A 40 watt CO2 laser is a Class 4 laser device, the highest and most dangerous rating of them all. I'll be adding in door interlocks to disable power to the laser tube if any panel is opened, as well as an emergency stop button and a key toggle. Not so much to keep other people from using it, but to make sure that when I am poking around inside here that I don't make any mistakes. The laser beam from a CO2 laser is invisible, and will destroy your vision faster than you can blink your eyes. No, seriously. A class 4 laser can cause permanent blindness faster than your brain can issue a blink reflex. Power comparison... your cat toy laser is less than 5mw. 0.005 watts of power for your cat teasing needs. This cutter is on the small side of the industrial scale, coming in at a measly 40 watts. Should be plenty for me, for now.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Linchuisku Stupid Labs? Oh, Linuisho Studio, nevermind. This is your phased plasma rifle in 40W range? Awesomesause! Looking forward to seeing some work from this. Hope you can get the problem resolved quickly.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    Getting inside this power supply is going to require a lot of metal cutting, or some really tiny fingers. Once the top was bolted on, the ends were folded down to cover the bolts and nuts that hold it down. Looks like I'm just going to have to trust this one.
    16595333501_51a1730b02_o.jpg

After taking out the power supply, it wasn't too much effort to strip the rest of the control wiring out. Although, if I wanted to access the wiring for the Y stepper I would have to go quite a bit deeper into the machine. I'm starting to think that nobody in China has every heard of a thing called a "tap" because EVERYTHING inside here is held on with a nut and a bolt. The only tapped holes are on the laser mounts and their adjustment screws. Luckily, they only used two sizes.. small and large. Makes sorting the screws pretty easy as there are only two main piles for the entire assembly.
    Speaking of..
    16419803119_ac35280cd3_o.jpg

16398347187_661cba75f3_o.jpg

16579654066_a3925cfba3_o.jpg

There should be plenty of room on this side for just about anything that I want to use. Even though there is a lot going on inside the machine, none of it really takes up a whole lot of room. I toyed with the idea of extending the gantry to cover the width of the machine, hiding the electronics under the laser tube, but decided that it would be too much work at this time. I'm more concerned with getting the laser up and running before I go adding in bonus features like an extended cutting surface or a motorized Z axis.

16418656750_555d52b1fe_o.jpg

Now the stock cutting bed and the center divider are both out. Now I can finally remove the gantry to see how the stepper motors and the optical limit switches are wired. It really is pretty spacious in here once you get all the junk out.

16604475531_28af672d32_o.jpg

15983458654_e178065c7c_o.jpg

I'll have to do something different with the smoke hood. It is WAY too small, even for this machine. Another project for another day down the road. What I'll probably end up doing is ripping the whole assembly out and then just leaving the hole in the back wide open for a new (higher power) blower motor. I'll have to come up with a way to seal the cutting area off into its own little "room" so to speak, to keep excess dust and smoke out of the electronics bay and laser tube. Probably something as simple as adhesive vinyl sheeting, since it won't be in danger of any sustained laser strikes.

Now then, I finally have the gantry out for all the world to see. After a quick dusting (cleaning isn't part of their assembly process btw) I can start figuring out how its all wired up.

15985875233_aebec5a647_o.jpg

16419797049_bd884dee90_o.jpg

16418432868_765bde7629_o.jpg

The flat ribbon cable (FRC, for short) connects to this board, and carries the signal from the X and Y limit switches back to the mainboard, as well as the 4 signal wires to control the Y-axis stepper. The X-axis stepper has a standard 4 pin plug, and about 10 feet of spare wire tucked into its tidywrap.

15983456734_e63f773039_o.jpg

I can do a few different things at this point, as far as the FRC goes. I need to access those wires, but interfacing with a FRC is a pain in the rear. If I wanted to keep everything stock, I could order a new FRC connector and build a breakout board to access everything, but what I will more than likely do is unsolder the FRC connector from the small board near the stepper, then solder new wires into its old location on the board. I hate FRC anyways.

Oh, and I'm sure some of you are wondering what that big pile of Sony is leaning up against my wall.. That's a 60" LCD tv that I was going to repair, until I found out the screen was cracked. Replacing the screen would have cost me about $5k... no thanks. I'll live with my 32" LCD for now. All of this is taking place in my spare bedroom that only gets used for large projects like this. When I'm not in there its usually cluttered up with empty boxes and misc parts that I don't have a use for at the moment. My "bench" is actually an old drafting table. I still have the machine and scales for it in the closet. Makes a great bench for large projects though.

Oh yeah.. when I was taking the laser tube out I realized there was a bit more broken than I had thought. I don't think its going to be able to be repaired though. The way these tubes are constructed, the end caps are siliconed on. I don't think a glassblower would appreciate a bunch of silicone burning off right where they are trying to make a repair. What I might be able to do though is have a new cap made that will fit over the old cap. I'm not too concerned with repairing this one though, not until I get the replacement and the machine is working. So, for now, it'll sit on the shelf looking all sexy and laserish.

16604781231_397cdbcae9_o.jpg

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    Update to the laser cutter :)

Got my replacement tube and all of the upgrade parts are installed. Working on realigning the mirrors now.. man what a chore this is. lol

Check out that funny doughnut shaped burn on the far right.. wild.. I wonder what's causing that.

IMAG0795.jpg

Top Bottom