• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Six years ago today IMPD, and dare I say the majority of Indianapolis, held its breath as we learned that Officer David Moore had been shot and his condition was grave. We held that breath for three days until he passed away on the 26th. I had gotten to know David when he was detailed to my unit for several weeks and he regularly came in on his days off to train. He was as all American as apple pie and came from a wonderful family, his mother is an absolute angel. Anyone who watched his funeral and saw her give his final 10-42 over the radio would agree.

The day he was shot was a long day for IMPD, myself included. I was on the SWAT team and we had staged at North District to be ready if and when the animal who shot him was located. Emotions were high and it was a bit surreal to be standing in a room full of my type A personality team mates and it be so quiet you could hear a pin drop. To say that was unusual would be a huge understatement. We all hung on every word as we listened to the radio traffic, hoping the suspect would be located. We remained in that position for hours.

Finally the call came in that the suspect had been located. We loaded up and headed toward the area. We surrounded the house where the suspect had taken refuge and began making announcements over the P.A.. I remember hearing the helicopters overhead as the door to the house opened and a pair of hands emerged followed by a monster cloaked in the skin of a withered old man. As he began walking toward me I struggled to maintain my composure as my red dot maintained its position on the center of his chest. My thumb and finger wanted so badly to take revenge for what this heathen had done to my friend. My team mates ordered him to his knees and he was taken into custody unharmed, a demonstration of the professionalism I had become so proud to be a part of.

The day David was laid to rest was torture. I don't typically run on emotion and to do so for hours was exhausting. I turned the radio off and drove home in silence, I don't recall having a composed thought, just numbness. I remember it being eerily quiet when I got home and stepped out of my car. The air was still and it seemed the rest of the world was also. As I walked toward my front door the flag which hangs just outside of it moved gently but I swear there was no breeze. The flag was covered with ice and it cracked and popped gently as it moved. I stopped and watched it for a few moments, hypnotized by it. I'm still not sure why but I walked into the house, grabbed my wife's camera and took a picture of it. It remains the best photo I've ever taken, I call it David's flag and I've shared it with many of my coworkers.

P1020738.jpg

I've always wanted to have David's image overlaid on the flag so that it is barely visible. I don't know if these versions of the photos are of high enough quality for this but if someone has the Photoshop skills to do it I would be very appreciative.

168781_175787039129360_3477941_n_zpswluiaaw7.jpeg

I've probably told this story before here and I apologize if I have. I still struggle with it and writing it out is therapeutic. If the photos cannot be combined I'll say thanks in advance for trying and thanks for letting me use INGO as a psychiatrist's couch.

Last edited:

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Just reading it makes me angry. God bless his poor family and his brothers in service. And many thanks to Officer Moore for his sacrifice for the good people of Indiana, and to the officers who were too professional to get revenge.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    This like what you were wanting? I pushed over to do a rule of thirds and I liked the flag blue/police blue being the flag focal point.

I needed to wash out the flag a little behind him or it looked too much like he had bad face tattoos.

I found the barely visible doesn't work really well with a busy background. This flag Red vs White really overpowers the photo. I actually have a white layer below David's photo to wash the flag down to make him visible. I also added a gradient from the right to let him establish the right side of the photo.

I will need to clean up the JPEG noise around the badge, due to up sizing. If this is what you are looking for, I can spend more than just a few minutes at lunch.

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Thanks Indyjoe, I really appreciate it. I was hoping to have David kind of ghosted into the flag but if its not possible I'll be thankful for what you can do.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    IndyJoe-

Thanks for working on this project and great idea to work in thirds (clearly, you know your way around this kind of thing). I hope you aren't offended by a friendly suggestion from someone who's played around in PS and Gimp (and apologies to phylo if I'm missing the mark of what he's describing). Maybe try just using Ofcr. Moore's face for the high-transparency "ghost." The "yearbook" style picture with so much of his torso almost seems distracting from the human element of it.

You could also desaturate the face to almost grayscale, as phylo's awesome flag pic almost seems naturally desat'd.

Wish I had time today to do my own take on it, as that flag pic really is great.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    T.Lex, we were thinking the same things.

The problem with the lower resolution file is the JPEG artifacts were the same grain as the flag ice. The high resolution I found is what it needed.

The real key to making this work is deciding to blur the background photo when behind David. This allows a much lower opacity and still see details.

When I moved around, I settled on aligning mostly within the Red of the Flag and removing ribbons and leaving just the face and the badge. Red in the flag has always symbolized hardiness and valor. It also has the symbolism of blood and the ultimate sacrifice.

View attachment 52627

I don't think it is quite there. I believe that adding some blur on the edges would strengthen the focus to the eyes. I'll work a little more after I eat something.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Unfortunately, the INGO art critics refuse to allow me to assign you more rep.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to indyjoe again.

But, I think that's very nearly awesome. I still think you don't need as much of his torso, but that's purely an artistic license thing.

You know - maybe desat the red under Moore's layer? Not a ton, just enough to draw the eye. It would still have the red symbology you reference, but make his image more somber?

Great job.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Unfortunately, the INGO art critics refuse to allow me to assign you more rep.

But, I think that's very nearly awesome. I still think you don't need as much of his torso, but that's purely an artistic license thing.

You know - maybe desat the red under Moore's layer? Not a ton, just enough to draw the eye. It would still have the red symbology you reference, but make his image more somber?

Great job.

For what it's worth, I repped him. Thanks, this is what makes INGO Great.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I hope this is not too minimalist. But as I kept working, it all came down to the face and the badge. I rotated to align everything in the red. I kept removing. I evened out the ice a little behind in the red. Having an even background and not spanning white and red stripes opened it up a little better.

I eventually envisioned this as a print on the wall. It should be a photo that looks amazing. Most will miss anymore meaning the the photo, unless the look deeper. Make of that metaphor what you will.

DgStjEW.jpg

Phylodog, let me know what you think and if you would change anything else. I pushed the contrast a little, which bumped the color. I could see leaving as is and I could see desaturating a little. I do professional photography, so if you are wanting this in a large print, I can get it from a pro lab for you at cost.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    That's. Awesome. Well done. (I'd play with the saturation more, but I'm a total amateur, prone to doing amateurish things.)

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    That's. Awesome. Well done. (I'd play with the saturation more, but I'm a total amateur, prone to doing amateurish things.)

I pushed a little away from blue and dropped saturation by 25%. I think it is getting more to a war time flag feel, which I like.

I've got to get back to work.

CUt0AKR.jpg

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Strong work. I bet you're REALLY good at what you do!

I'm an Engineer by week. But I have to get my art out on the weekends.

This is still my favorite photograph. I'm made some almost equal, but not quite. 2 day old in his father's hands. Licensing that one had paid for most of my photography equipment.

HwVAHTM.jpg

I love this flag photo. I've not taken a photo that equals this, despite trying. That is even without knowing the back story.

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    That's a great pic of the baby!

Maybe you and phylo can work out a deal for that flag pic, too. Every time I've opened up the attachment in this thread, I grow more impressed with that base photo. I could see some licensing coming out of that, too.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    That's a great pic of the baby!

Maybe you and phylo can work out a deal for that flag pic, too. Every time I've opened up the attachment in this thread, I grow more impressed with that base photo. I could see some licensing coming out of that, too.

Unfortunately, licensing is pretty much dead. Micro stock photography is dead. Everybody gave their rights to companies for photos they upload and everyone has a camera now. So there isn't anything to be made in stock. The money is with clients that can understand good photography and lighting and the value that has over their iPhone photo. But this photo would be a beautiful gallery wrap canvas on the wall.

It is a great photograph for something to do with a single state. Just the one star as a focus, one of the United States. Just great choices in limited DoF and focus point.

Top Bottom