• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    You might have some issues finding the 18.5 inch barrel. I am sure they have been gobbled up with the scare lately. This would work too....and give you a smaller field barrel option for general woods carrying. I have a 21 inch field barrel on my 20ga for my son and I enjoy using it for the woods. I saw that new 870s are doing the 30.00 rebate now. Find a place selling it on sale, get the rebate and this barrel below and your good to go.

Remington 12 Gauge 20" Barrel for Model 870 $125.00

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Can combos be had in smoothbore new?

I know I've seen a few used combos at shops with smoothbore 20" rifle sighted bbls :)

FWIW I tun a 23" vent rib 870 turkey gun as my HD. It aint the best for serious trap or dove/waterfowl hunting but doesn't do too badly (much prefer a 30" for those endeavors).

tornrebel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2013
    Indiana
    Both the 870 and mossberg 500 can be bought with both barrels for hunting and home protection along with a stock and pistol grip. If you are shooting clays for fun and not very often this will work just fine, but if you plan to shoot often and may even some 3 gun shoots then either look at two guns or a semi auto. The 870 is a great gun for home protection and a smooth barrel is what you are wanting for protection. Good luck

headleyj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Bloomington
    I bought an 870 express, smooth bore, shortest barrel they offered...new for under $300 iirc. I shoot clays with it too, it won't vaporize them, but its still fun. I'd either get that or a mid length barrel with chokes.

Lodogg2221

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Kokomo
    What, no magnum receiver talk?

Ive got an old 870 Express. Serialed M for Magnum receiver, before they started stamping the receivers with the word "Magnum".
    Its a combo gun with a 28" vent rib and a 20" smooth bore rifle sight barrel.
    Being an older one, its the metal trigger group. I wasnt aware they had changed, but then Im not in the market for one either and havent really looked at the new ones up close and personal.

If you plan to shoot any 3" shell you will need a magnum receiver.

Cant go wrong with a combo if you really do want to do everything.
    Having shot a ton of sporting clays and skeet and a bit of trap thrown in once in a while with that exact gun, Ill say that a 20" non-choked barrel wont do you much good except in skeet where all the targets are fairly close, and maybe a few of the shorter sporting clays stands.

Anyway, if you can find it, a shorter choked barrel would help some with reaching way out with small shot, and would also work for HD. Otherwise, you will want a long barrel for hunting and clays, and a short one for home or short clays.

I agree though that you just cant beat the 870 for reliability and longevity. Mine has has over 8000 rounds through it and still works like new...the bolt just doesnt quite look so new anymore...

saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford

I don't believe you need a magnum to shoot 3" shells, only 3 1/2"( I am far from an expert though). I have an 870 combo that I love. Composite stock with an extended forearm. 28" ribbed barrel with with removable choke which I use for trap, turkey, rifled slugs and home defense and a rifled barrel with a red dot I use for deer hunting that is very accurate. I am looking at getting a shorter barrel and a mag tube extension for home defense as the long barrel is harder to maneuver in the house. I don't think I would want a shorter barrel for trap or hunting though. Both barrels are stamped that they are good for 2 3/4" or 3" shells and I have shot both out of this gun.

I bought mine 4 years ago and also looked at the mossberg. After handling both the remington felt like it was more solid. You won't go wrong with the remington.

Lodogg2221

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Kokomo
    Its not the barrel, its the receiver. My barrels all say "USE 2 3/4" OR 3" SHELLS IN MAGNUM RECEIVERS. USE 2 3/4" IN ALL OTHERS.

You guys might want to check yours and the owners manuals....using 3" shells in non-magnum receivers might work for a while, but they are NOT rated nor built to handle them.

Tactical Flannel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    West Central Indiana
    So the first shotgun I ever shot was an 870 and I have to admit it put a pretty big smile on my face. I've since tried out several other types and in my price range I think the 870 is still what I want to go with...that said HOLY OPTIONS BATMAN!

My primary use will be clay shooting, but I want it as a home defense gun as well. Something I need to take into consideration is that my house has somewhat narrow hallways, so I don't think I want to go out to a full size barrel..and the other question is do I want a rifled barrel? I definitely want to be able to toss slugs down range as well.

I have no problem admitting my own incompetence here and if anyone would be kind enough to help educate me I would appreciate it. So far I think I'm pretty sure I want to get the 12 gauge express combo kit w/the 26 inch vent rib and the 20 inch rifled barrel. Does that sound compatible with what I want to do?

Oh, and no pistol grip, I just plain don't like it.

Good question and very understandable in trying to save some money.
    First let me say I know very little as to the sporting clay side of things. I believe others have addressed that part already who would be more knowledgeable than I.
    With that said I am very familiar with 870 from the defense stand point as an LE armorer/officer.
    The suggestion that’s already been given of buying an 870 in one configuration and buying the barrel to perform the other function (IE buying a 26 inch barreled 870 then buying an extra 18.5 or 20 inch barrel for defense) is the most cost effective in my opinion.
    You don't necessarily want a rifled barrel in the short defense barrel as it will most likely be used with buckshot which will wear on the rifling and disrupt your shot pattern. As smooth bore barrel, you'll still be able to fire rifled slugs to great accuracy 75, 100 or more yrds if the need would arise.
    The discussion on the magnum vs non-magnum is kinda mute. The 870 receivers are all structurally capable of handling 2 3/4 or 3 inch (magnum) rounds. Its dependent on how the extractor is setup in the receiver when it was manufactured and the chamber of the barrel installed. If you use a 'magnum' (3inch capable receiver) with a 2 3/4 inch chambered barrel, you can only use 2 3/4 inch ammo safely. And vice versa.
    The other aspect regarding the metal vs plastic trigger guard is not necessarily a deal breaker if you find what you want. I carried an 870 Home Defense Express Magnum as a duty weapon for 8 yrs. It functioned 100%, never failing. I trusted my life and those of my co-workers to it on several occasions. IMO, if you are carrying a plastic trigger guarded 870 and you strike it hard enough to break the trigger guard, you need to have the whole of the trigger assembly inspected. That would be one heck of an impact.
    Good luck on the purchase and hope you enjoy the range time.

Stay safe

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    What, no magnum receiver talk?

Ive got an old 870 Express. Serialed M for Magnum receiver, before they started stamping the receivers with the word "Magnum".
    Its a combo gun with a 28" vent rib and a 20" smooth bore rifle sight barrel.
    Being an older one, its the metal trigger group. I wasnt aware they had changed, but then Im not in the market for one either and havent really looked at the new ones up close and personal.

Cant go wrong with a combo if you really do want to do everything.
    Having shot a ton of sporting clays and skeet and a bit of trap thrown in once in a while with that exact gun, Ill say that a 20" non-choked barrel wont do you much good except in skeet where all the targets are fairly close, and maybe a few of the shorter sporting clays stands.

Anyway, if you can find it, a shorter choked barrel would help some with reaching way out with small shot, and would also work for HD. Otherwise, you will want a long barrel for hunting and clays, and a short one for home or short clays.

I agree though that you just cant beat the 870 for reliability and longevity. Mine has has over 8000 rounds through it and still works like new...the bolt just doesnt quite look so new anymore...

IIRC they stamped them "magnum" on those they sold with 3" chambered bbls and did not on those with 2 3/4" (but those not stamped as "magnum" still had "M" designated serial numbers, so were magnum receivers.

What also was funny, old Police Magnums, stamped as such, coming with 2 3/4" bbls.

Tactical Flannel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    West Central Indiana
    IIRC they stamped them "magnum" on those they sold with 3" chambered bbls and did not on those with 2 3/4" (but those non stamped "magnums still had "M" designated serial numbers, so were magnum receivers.

What also was funny, old Police Magnums, stamped as such, coming with 2 3/4" bbls.

The first letter and last letter of the serial number is used to determine the date range (in years) the reciever was manufactured. It doesn't necessarily denote magnum or not.

Stay safe

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Quick check shows folks having been to Rem's armorer's school stating the diff to be in the ejectors (non magnum vs magnum).

And the Rem Society guru states that Remington went to all magnum receivers before the Express line started.

Tactical Flannel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    West Central Indiana
    Quick check shows folks having been to Rem's armorer's school stating the diff to be in the ejectors (non magnum vs magnum).

And the Rem Society guru states that Remington went to all magnum receivers before the Express line started.

Good catch. It was the ejector not extractor. My mistake.
    And yes currently most 870s receivers are manufactured to accept the 2 3/4 and 3, in effect being magnums. But there are still alot of the older receivers floating around so it is difficult to say all are this or that...

Stay safe

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Good catch. It was the ejector not extractor. My mistake.
    And yes currently most 870s receivers are manufactured to accept the 2 3/4 and 3, in effect being magnums. But there are still alot of the older receivers floating around so it is difficult to say all are this or that...

Stay safe

Yup some older guns might be 2 3/4", but none of those would be Express models ;)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    BTW, an 1100 12 gauge 3" magnum has the same receiver as a reg 2 3/4" 12 gauge 1100.
    The Magnum differed by:

Action sleeve
    Single port bbl (vs 2 on a 2 3/4" bbl)

They also came with a recoil pad :)

The smart guy back in the day got a Magnum and then an accessory 2 3/4" bbl. 2 3/4" field loads would cycle the magnum action sleeve (heavier) fine. But..... if I shot a heavy trap load (WW Handicap or Sporting Clays), my mag bbls also ran 'em fine. Killed a lot of dove with a magnum bbl, and receiver, running non low brass magnum shells. Ran like champs.

Got a Steel Shot choketube bbl on my 1100 magnum SP now. It'll run the lead trap loads fine. Steel dove loads? Nope :(

saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    Its not the barrel, its the receiver. My barrels all say "USE 2 3/4" OR 3" SHELLS IN MAGNUM RECEIVERS. USE 2 3/4" IN ALL OTHERS.

You guys might want to check yours and the owners manuals....using 3" shells in non-magnum receivers might work for a while, but they are NOT rated nor built to handle them.

From the remington support page.

If your 870 serial number ends with "M" you have a 12-gauge Magnum receiver that is capable of shooting 2 3/4-inch and 3-inch shells as long as your barrel is chambered for 3" shells

If your serial number ends with "A", you have a 12-gauge Super Magnum receiver that is capable of shooting 2 3/4-inch, 3-inch and 3 1/2-inch shells with a barrel that is chambered for 3 1/2" shells.

If your serial number ends in "N" or "U", you have a 20-gauge Magnum receiver that is capable of shooting 3-inch shells with the correct barrel.

dsb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    I have both a 870 and a 1187 and recently bought my boy a Mossberg pump.... I would spend a few more dollars and buy a Remington...IMO there is a big difference

Top Bottom