I need an Education on the .460 Rowland Platform...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    The .460 Rowland...

I have a question. From what I have read any Weapon chambered for .460 Rowland is still capable to fire .45 ACP...

Any truth to this?!

I am looking at building a couple of AR Pistol Caliber Systems and am looking at .460 Rowland as opposed to .45 ACP...

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    The answer is a definite .... maybe. Per the folks at Rowland;

"The 460 Rowland case is 1/16 of an inch longer than the .45 ACP shell casing to prevent it from chambering in an unmodified .45 ACP gun, but in many models, the .45 ACP will still function in a 460 Rowland chamber. Sort of like the relationship of the .38 Special to a .357 Magnum– just on a larger and more powerful scale."

I have a Norinco I'm thinking about converting to a .460

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    You can fire 45 acp from a 460 rowland I have done it several times. What I shot were hot hand loads though. not sure how it would cycle with light loads

Last edited:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green

"The 460 Rowland case is 1/16 of an inch longer than the .45 ACP shell casing to prevent it from chambering in an unmodified .45 ACP gun, but in many models, the .45 ACP will still function in a 460 Rowland chamber. Sort of like the relationship of the .38 Special to a .357 Magnum– just on a larger and more powerful scale."

Yeah that was the reply I have gotten from several persons in the industry... :dunno:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere

I'm not familiar with the round itself and simply basing this idea off of the info presented here.......but this gap could cause a sufficient enough headspace issue to damage the weapon...it would be over time and probably not noticed until too late unlike if the headspace were in the "opposite direction" of the casing being longer :twocents:

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I presume you have watched this video
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdxvoH1LLXc[/ame]

Last edited:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I talked to Ron at RMW Xtreme the 460 Roland and the 45 ACP use a no go for now in the DI Uppers. I was told it is due to the differences in Gas.

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    You CAN fire 45 ACP in the 460 Rowland, the question is.....is it SMART or SAFE?

The 460 Rowland has a longer case length and the cartridge headspaces on this. The 45ACP would be too short to properly headspace and would be held in place only by the tension of the extractor.

This would be similiar to having a 10mm and running 40S&W in it. Yea, it CAN be done...but you run into the same question....is it SMART or SAFE?

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    You CAN fire 45 ACP in the 460 Rowland, the question is.....is it SMART or SAFE?

The 460 Rowland has a longer case length and the cartridge headspaces on this. The 45ACP would be too short to properly headspace and would be held in place only by the tension of the extractor.

This would be similiar to having a 10mm and running 40S&W in it. Yea, it CAN be done...but you run into the same question....is it SMART or SAFE?
    Kinda like 7.62x51 through a 7.62x54...

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I don't think that it is unsafe maybe just sacrifice accuracy a little.
    Clarks Custom guns have been selling the 1911 drop in kits for a long time and here is an FAQ from their site

Q: Can I still shoot 45ACP in my gun? If so, will it adversely affect accuracy?

A: Yes, you may shoot 45ACP in the 460 Kit. However, it is likely that you will experience some degree of accuracy loss shooting 45ACP in the 460 Rowland kit and we cannot guarantee functional reliability. The 1st reason is that you're counting on the extractor to hold the 45acp against the breech face. The 2nd reason is the spring is too heavy for the 45acp to cycle the slide..

If you are shooting a lower pressure round in a chamber that is designed for a high pressure round how would that be unsafe in this case?

Top Bottom