• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blakec221

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2019
    Rockville
    I have 2 and they are nothing special but do the job. (Norean billet lowers with palmetto uppers). In my opinion if $500 is your budget look at somewhere like palmetto st armory. Shop their weekly deals for a few weeks and you’ll find what you need for a good price. Do yourself a favor and put a good trigger ($150+), as I think makes all the difference.

Im sure some of the mag dropping, steel ringin, paper hole punchin tacticool guys out there will turn their noses up to this idea and say you need to drop some serious coin on a decent rifle. But truth is I’ve never had a issue with my set up and I’ve dropped plenty of coyotes with mine over the past couple of years.

Also something to consider is going with a bigger caliber if your gonna be hunting hogs. I wanted to check out the 6.8SPC. I feel 223 is a bit under powered. I know a lot of people do use them on hogs all the time but even on Coyote sometimes they run off even with a decent shot.

hANNAbONE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Des Moines, Iowa
    BCI Pro - love mine and is as accurate as my Daniel Defense V7.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AD-27u0xc4 == forget the Dagger series, but the PRO is the same gun minus optic and coloring

You can find them on the web for $850-ish - a t e r r i f i c bargain for that money.

If your needs are a little more expensive look no further than a BCM in 14.5" - 18" Precision

Or the DD V7 I mentioned above...all chambered in 5.56

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    BCI Pro - love mine and is as accurate as my Daniel Defense V7.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AD-27u0xc4 == forget the Dagger series, but the PRO is the same gun minus optic and coloring

You can find them on the web for $850-ish - a t e r r i f i c bargain for that money.

If your needs are a little more expensive look no further than a BCM in 14.5" - 18" Precision

Or the DD V7 I mentioned above...all chambered in 5.56

You're easily double what the op wanted to spend, not disagreeing with your statements but..

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I want it noted, that I didn't suggest the LWRC 6.8. I read the budget. :cool:

I won't suggest this dirty 30cal commy ar

94yGnCI.jpg

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Care to explain? After many both Maine and New York Bushmasters I have never had one issue. All of them very accurate and the Chrome Lined barrels have held up for tens of thousands of rounds.

Wyndham days are ok. The latter models get into splotchy qa. Lpks have been an issue using rough finish parts gives a cheap grimey feel, inconsistent barrels, cheap furniture, handguards without heat shields. Same money will put you in a better built stag. The late model non contract bushys cut every available corner.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    Bushmaster is owned by the same outfit that owns Remington, Marlin, Dpms and a few other brands they dove into the ground. Buy at your own risk.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I am not a gun guy and I also seek advice from the INGO collective. On the subject of AR’s and hog hunting I believe have enough experience to give a IMO.

1. Given a budget of $500 for a AR I would pick a Ruger this is based on the performance I have personally witnessed at AR classes. This AR runs and seems to have accuracy that is better than its competitors at less than $500 it’s a value IMO. Runners up would be Anderson, Wyndham Arms you also could look for a higher level used AR it’s a buyers market right now. Building AR’s is a great hobby but shooting one effectively is more important IMO.

2. Red Dot/Holographic sight most shots are going to be 300m or less and fast paced. If you want to do the helicopter thing some require this type of sight. I prefer a EO TECH due to my aging eyes there are a million choices used is an option to keep the price down. Some guides will want you to have a weapons light as well so that’s easy with a AR.

3. 5.56 is fine for hogs you will need to check with the guide for requirements the some require a minimum of 60 grain bullets ect. 5.56 gives you a chance to get some trigger time on the cheap.

4. Take a AR class if you have the time and money Revere Riders has one in Bedford coming up that’s cheap and you will learn quite a bit that will transfer to a great hog hunt.

I think hog hunting is something everyone should tryout it’s cheap and a “blast” literally. One you pick a guide check out what the requirements and suggestions are and have fun.

pblanc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2014
    Evansville
    I own a Ruger AR556. I have seen them on sale recently for as low as a little less than $500. I have had zero reliability issues with mine. Accuracy is around 2 MOA which is not bad for an AR in that price range. The chamber and barrel are not lined, but the barrel is hammer-forged. Polymer furniture is very basic but butt stock, handguard, and pistol grip are all easily swapped if you feel the need. Trigger is a typical, creepy, one-stage mil-spec. Barrel has a very versatile 1:8 twist rate, which should stabilize the heavier projectiles well (the Smith M&P15 Sport II barrel has a slower 1:9 twist rate). Someone mentioned the AR556 being difficult to disassemble. Yes, the first half dozen or dozen times you remove the upper from the lower, you may need something like a nylon punch to press the take-down and pivot pins out with (I used a synthetic Chinese chopstick). After that, they will loosen up and can be easily pushed out with a finger or thumb.

I have also seen the Ruger AR556 MPR selling on-line recently for $600 which I think is a very good value. This has a much better trigger, much nicer Magpul butt stock and pistol grip, a longer 18" barrel with a rifle-length gas system, and a lightweight, aluminum, 15" free-floated hand guard.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    I have also seen the Ruger AR556 MPR selling on-line recently for $600 which I think is a very good value. This has a much better trigger, much nicer Magpul butt stock and pistol grip, a longer 18" barrel with a rifle-length gas system, and a lightweight, aluminum, 15" free-floated hand guard.

I went with this one for my 1st AR. Did a lot of reading before pulling the trigger, and it's due at my FFL tomorrow. In addition to what you listed above, it has a nitride-treated barrel, which I've read is more durable even, than the chrome-lined. I had been thinking about a $1200 BCM, but I think this Ruger sounds impressive, at the price point, and hope it will be a good entry into the AR world. Time will tell.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I went with this one for my 1st AR. Did a lot of reading before pulling the trigger, and it's due at my FFL tomorrow. In addition to what you listed above, it has a nitride-treated barrel, which I've read is more durable even, than the chrome-lined. I had been thinking about a $1200 BCM, but I think this Ruger sounds impressive, at the price point, and hope it will be a good entry into the AR world. Time will tell.

Ruger MPR in my opinion is probably the best value in ARs right now. It is not the best but for the money it checks off all the boxes. I have been considering purchasing one myself just to set it back.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    If you are not really into ARs and just want something for an occasional hog gun and to plink around with, stick with a 5.56 model and use heavier bullets for the hog hunt.

It's a buyers market for AR stuff right now. I'd buy fairly soon, though...before the next school shooting and hysterical cries for gun control from the newly Dem controlled House. Prices have nowhere to go but up.

This.

You want to stick with a gas gun for hogs, as the speed of followup is essential.

You'll also want to stick with 5.56. Out to 300, it should be effective with the right bullets.

What are the right bullets?

Barnes TTSX, 70gr Accubonds, etc. Stay with the heavier weights with premium hunting bullets.

18" or 20" barrel length with rifle length gas.

JM2C

Top Bottom