I need CM to yell at me for being stupid!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At my Hermitage
    Has anyone ever replaced a set of u-joints in an aluminum drive shaft? No biggie right. Remove the rear 11mm bolts from the u-joints, pop it off the rear end, slide the drive shaft out... Order a set of u-joints, easy peasy. Gently heat up the u-joint caps to let the hot glue ooze out, nice and stinky...

In stead of using a hydraulic press to properly push out the u-joints, etc., I was stupid and used a ball joint press tool with an impact... Well... I got a little over zealous with the impact and bent one of the 'ears' of the aluminum drive shaft that holds a u-joint cap. STUPID!

I can just see CM shaking his head... "That was stupid, you stupid, how stupid are you"? "Damn your stupid!" :lmfao:

Sorry CM, I'm that stupid.

Lpherr

Occupied
    Has anyone ever replaced a set of u-joints in an aluminum drive shaft? No biggie right. Remove the rear 11mm bolts from the u-joints, pop it off the rear end, slide the drive shaft out... Order a set of u-joints, easy peasy. Gently heat up the u-joint caps to let the hot glue ooze out, nice and stinky...

In stead of using a hydraulic press to properly push out the u-joints, etc., I was stupid and used a ball joint press tool with an impact... Well... I got a little over zealous with the impact and bent one of the 'ears' of the aluminum drive shaft that holds a u-joint cap. STUPID!

I can just see CM shaking his head... "That was stupid, you stupid, how stupid are you"? "Damn your stupid!" :lmfao:

Sorry CM, I'm that stupid.
    That's an easy fix.

Just bend the other ear to even them up. :laugh6:

Zexrain

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2023
    FORT WAYNE.
    No but I have over tightened a ball joint and cracked the nuckle and had to go to a pick a part place and steal one off another truck. Lesson learned.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I spent stupid money on light weight u joints, aluminum drive shaft & having it balanced, only to over power the clutch at 300 feet and twist the drive shaft in half

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    First vehicle was a used 67 Ford van with the awesome 170 inline 6. Worrying about high torque breaking something never entered my mind.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Just changed universals in my 2004 F-150 with a steel shaft. Big ******* Hammer and lots of swearing but successful. Actually kind of surprised myself when I finished the job and I wasn't bleeding. Jim.

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    Just changed universals in my 2004 F-150 with a steel shaft. Big ******* Hammer and lots of swearing but successful. Actually kind of surprised myself when I finished the job and I wasn't bleeding. Jim.
    Then you didn't finish the job correctly! Ask me how I know! :lmfao:

Reactions: wcd
    Top Bottom