Not open for further replies.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    One suggestion about the testing...

I was tested once on the side of I-64 in Louisville and passed everything but walking a straight line but I pointed out to the cop that the side of the road was slanted enough that the it made it difficult and even going up or down the slope would make the test hard to perform properly. Being a medical professional, I would be able to argue all day about balance and such.

The test can only be done on a level, flat(no rocks, cracks in pavement) surface to have anything close to validity.

it is also difficult to stay "on a line" wihtout looking down at it. Walking heel to toe is an un-natural action for the body to perform and your brain automatically will think you are off balance due to not walking with your natural gait.

BTW, I was let go without trouble or citation.

Fortunately, that is not what that particular part of the SFST is about....

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Fortunately, that is not what that particular part of the SFST is about....
    You know, now I'm going to have to Google these tests to see what officers are looking for. More often than not it's not so much what you're doing or how well you're doing it but what else you're doing or not doing at the same time from what I understand ... but what it is the officer is looking for specifically I do not know!

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    The tests are about multitasking, something that impaired individuals are not very good at. I approach a car and say hello to the driver. He says hello back and I smell alcohol, maybe sense that he is intoxicated...slurred speech, bloodshot eyes, what have you. I ask him for his license and while he is grabbing his wallet, I engage him in small-talk. Each question I ask, he stops looking for the license and focuses intently on the question, then must be reminded about the license. This goes on a few times before I let him finish finding the license. Un-impaired people don't usually behave this way, they CAN multitask and answer silly questions while simultaneously grabbing their license. The same logic applies to the performance portions of the SFSTs. Some people don't have stellar balance but they can attempt to do it while they also count or walk, it's just your brain's reaction to trying to do several things at once. Impaired individuals' brains have difficulty processing several things at once because alcohol is a depressant. This is precisely also why these folks should NOT be operating a vehicle.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    You know, now I'm going to have to Google these tests to see what officers are looking for. More often than not it's not so much what you're doing or how well you're doing it but what else you're doing or not doing at the same time from what I understand ... but what it is the officer is looking for specifically I do not know!

I think they look for something like this....:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhFAkaYuGGY

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Where do you guys get this "alphabet backwards" stuff. I've got 12 years under my belt, and have never seen that.... Well, other than TV. If you're told to recite the alphabet, it typically is starting at C, and stopping at N, plus the person is asked not to sing the song.

Pre-exits are extremely basic, for even a person with a 5th grade education. And hence the word "pre-exit," these are asked before most people are asked to "exit" their vehicle. If a person refuses, they will be asked to step of for SFST, which of course can be refused too. If a person is completely sober, knocking out the pre-exits will dissuade 99% of officers from pressing further. However, if a person wishes to "not" do the pre-exits, it will undoubtedly be odd to an officer, especially if the officer has driving behavior to justify his suspicion. Big key is "driving behavior." If a person accidentally swerves off the road because they are texting, and get pulled over because of it, the pre-exits can put to rest any impairment.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The tests are about multitasking, something that impaired individuals are not very good at. I approach a car and say hello to the driver. He says hello back and I smell alcohol, maybe sense that he is intoxicated...slurred speech, bloodshot eyes, what have you. I ask him for his license and while he is grabbing his wallet, I engage him in small-talk. Each question I ask, he stops looking for the license and focuses intently on the question, then must be reminded about the license. This goes on a few times before I let him finish finding the license. Un-impaired people don't usually behave this way, they CAN multitask and answer silly questions while simultaneously grabbing their license. The same logic applies to the performance portions of the SFSTs. Some people don't have stellar balance but they can attempt to do it while they also count or walk, it's just your brain's reaction to trying to do several things at once. Impaired individuals' brains have difficulty processing several things at once because alcohol is a depressant. This is precisely also why these folks should NOT be operating a vehicle.

+1 this. How many times have you asked for a DL from an impaired person, and getting a credit card?

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I posted this because I only have the truth on my side. My wifes cell phone recording is a blur of bright light with random images of the incident before being reengaged by flashlight.

I already asked to have a copy of the dash camera footage when talking to trooper Davis about where my wallet was. He made it very clear that I didnt need to see the footage and that I could not. I know the trooper is going to lie. His buddy will go along with his lie. My story is absolutely 100% true. I dont feel that it matters what I say as the only defense the trooper has for his actions is already a complete fabrication. I am posting this because I have nothing to hide and would love to see anyone show evidence that the trooper was within his operating guidelines. I cant be found guilty on any level of factual evidence. The trooper is going to lie regardless of my post.

You should have contacted a lawyer by now for advice. If you have not then you may not know what is coming no matter if the truth is on your side. Perception in court is what matters.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Where do you guys get this "alphabet backwards" stuff. I've got 12 years under my belt, and have never seen that.... Well, other than TV. If you're told to recite the alphabet, it typically is starting at C, and stopping at N, plus the person is asked not to sing the song.

Pre-exits are extremely basic, for even a person with a 5th grade education. And hence the word "pre-exit," these are asked before most people are asked to "exit" their vehicle. If a person refuses, they will be asked to step of for SFST, which of course can be refused too. If a person is completely sober, knocking out the pre-exits will dissuade 99% of officers from pressing further. However, if a person wishes to "not" do the pre-exits, it will undoubtedly be odd to an officer, especially if the officer has driving behavior to justify his suspicion. Big key is "driving behavior." If a person accidentally swerves off the road because they are texting, and get pulled over because of it, the pre-exits can put to rest any impairment.

"COPS" of coarse :)

Some Old people drive worse than drunk drivers with their delayed responses. I almost got creamed by an old lady the other day. Is old age impaired driving illegal?

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    +1 this. How many times have you asked for a DL from an impaired person, and getting a credit card?

Credit card, Kroger card, whatever. Just the other day, one guy fumbled through his wallet for an eternity then just handed the whole thing to me and said "here, you find it".

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Still struck by OP being cautious to avoid police issues and then Mrs OP lobs an incindiery out the window. Makes me think that is a daily occurrence and she doesn't even give it a second thought.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Still struck by OP being cautious to avoid police issues and then Mrs OP lobs an incindiery out the window. Makes me think that is a daily occurrence and she doesn't even give it a second thought.
    Surely it wasn't the first cigarette she's thrown out the window for somebody else to clean up.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    Is it possible that the officer saw the OP on the dance floor and figured "this guy has got to be on something"?;)

OP just do what the cop wants you to do. If you make them mad even if they themselves are being an idot, your going to be in big trouble because you treated them with disrespect.

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy

Yup. Generally speaking, smokers as a general rule are the most disrespectful people out there. They'd rather flick their nasty ashes out the window and leave their butts everywhere but under their own noses. Even under the ban, you still can't get through the door someplace without walking through the crowd of smoke.

Nowhere did the OP point out the fact that his wife was/is an idiot for giving the officer cause to light him up in the first place.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Yup. Generally speaking, smokers as a general rule are the most disrespectful people out there. They'd rather flick their nasty ashes out the window and leave their butts everywhere but under their own noses. Even under the ban, you still can't get through the door someplace without walking through the crowd of smoke.

Nowhere did the OP point out the fact that his wife was/is an idiot for giving the officer cause to light him up in the first place.
    wow that was one of the most asinine comments i've read on here.

Non smokers are the one of the biggest groups of busybodies out there. Always worrying about what other people are doing and trying to run others lives

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    wow that was one of the most asinine comments i've read on here.

Non smokers are the one of the biggest groups of busybodies out there. Always worrying about what other people are doing and trying to run others lives
    It wasn't an absolute statement of fact and is clearly their opinion. You can disagree, but that won't change their opinion :).

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    It wasn't an absolute statement of fact and is clearly their opinion. You can disagree, but that won't change their opinion :).

I wasn't trying to change his opinion, I was just letting him know i think his statement was idiotic. :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom