• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WilsonMD

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 31, 2014
    Crown Point
    I am fairly new to reloading and am enjoying it tremendously. I am in the process of getting set up for .223 and I can't decide on a trimmer. I have been researching for a bit and just can't decide which one to buy. I think I would like a motorized trimmer of some sort, whether that be an attachment for a drill/motor, or a self contained unit. Another concern is versatility, being able to trim both bottleneck and straight wall cases. I like the Frankford Arsenal case prep center, and the WFT/WFT2 seems nice. I have seen the Giraud also, but that is quite pricey IMO. Much of the.223/5.56 brass that I have so far is military so primer pocket crimps will need to be removed, and I like the Frankford because the prep could be done on one machine. However, I understand that you can't trim straight wall cases on it. So, what's the best one stop shop as far as trimmers go? I would love to get some opinions from those more experienced than me.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    The Giraul trimmer is the best I've ever used, but you are right it is pricey. The prep station ones work ok and are versatile. The Lee trimmers where you use a drill work ok also.
    You can get by with any of these really, just depends on how much brass your talking about processing.
    Saying that, in 20 years of reloading I've never trimmed a straight walled pistol csse.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I went with the WFT and RCBS case prep center route. I would get a nice bench top swager for military crimp removal.

I have never trimmed pistol brass unless it was for magnum revolver only to insure a uniform roll crimp.

dye

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Although it was pricey, my Giraud trimmer is some of the best money I've ever spent. Buy once, cry once.
    They do make individual trimmers that go into a drill now also. Same technology, but much cheaper. You might want to check them out

maverick5990

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2013
    Plainfield
    Although it was pricey, my Giraud trimmer is some of the best money I've ever spent. Buy once, cry once.
    They do make individual trimmers that go into a drill now also. Same technology, but much cheaper. You might want to check them out

Here's the link:

GTC Home

Big advantage of the new trimmer for your drill over the WFT since it champers and deburrs. $90.00

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    I use a WFT and it's great. Very sharp and clean cuts. Can't beat the price too.
    I use it on a drill, but I have an old bench grinder I'm thinking of modifying to mount the trimmer so I can use it one handed more like a Giraud.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona

I went with the Giraud also. It was worth every penny spent. So far I've trimmed well over 5,000 cases with it. Once up and running, I can easily trim 10 cases a minute. All within + - .002, and with both the inside and outside chamfered. It almost makes case trimming fun. I'm thinking of buying another in .308, so as not to have to change back and forth all the time. For lesser quantities like .300 Win. Mag. and others, the Little Crow Trimmer works well, but not as fast.

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    I have WFT's in 223, 308, and 30-06.

I LOVE them. I think for the price (roughly $75, IIRC) they are very worth it, since I HATE trimming brass... and these allow me to accurately trim 100 pieces of brass in about 5 minutes.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I haven't heard anyone ask the most important question that needs to be answered before you make your choice: How many pieces of brass do you anticipate trimming on a monthly or annual basis?

Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    You might check out the New Lee Deluxe Trimmer, it uses a trim die mounted in the press and the trimmer trims and cuts a small chamfer on the case inside and out at the same time. It can also be had with a drill attachment or a hand crank. For about $45 it works very good. I was impressed.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    You might check out the New Lee Deluxe Trimmer, it uses a trim die mounted in the press and the trimmer trims and cuts a small chamfer on the case inside and out at the same time. It can also be had with a drill attachment or a hand crank. For about $45 it works very good. I was impressed.

Can you post a link to this tool?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I haven't heard anyone ask the most important question that needs to be answered before you make your choice: How many pieces of brass do you anticipate trimming on a monthly or annual basis?

^THIS!!!!

If you plan on doing under 100 cases a month the basic LEE "hand trimmer" that you can toss into a cordless drill will work just fine for under $20.

However if you plan on doing volume trimming then you need to spend more. WTF (is OK), that new Tri-Way Trimmer is better since it will chaf/debur at the same time but the best will always be the Giarud power trimmer (GTC Trimmer)

The price is steep but you get a high volume trimmer.

OP I have the LEE 'hand trimmer' and it works OK but I am looking on upgrading as my volume of .223 trimming has gone up.

WilsonMD

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 31, 2014
    Crown Point
    Thanks to all for the input. I decided to go with the Giraud Tri-trim, and am impressed with the quality and ease of use. The deciding factor was that it was a one step process to trim, chamfer, and deburr.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

If they could integrate that tool to the top of a full length sizing die, especially if you could turn it with a cordless screwdriver, life would be good.

Top Bottom