• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BeDome

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    Why do you need help deciphering a law that doesn't exist???

See, finding out that a specific law preventing something that I actually want to do, does not actually exist, helps me.

I am trying not to ignore anyone who replied to my query. I thank you for making me feel welcome.

BeDome

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    Yeah, guys, he is talking about Texas. You have to open carry a rifle or blackpowder gun down there.

BeDome, don't mind the Raptor Pack, it is on our side.:D

Yeah, I get that and I truly appreciate your time and trouble in helping me.
    I just think the hilarity of those posting from some jerk of the knee, without reading that to which they are attempting to respond is almost worth pursuing.

... but hardly worth the typing callouses.
    :lmfao:

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    If the OP's info IS back from the 70's, mail-order ammunition was illegal until FOPA '86, so you would have had to have an FFL to get it. Hasn't been that way for nigh unto 30 years now.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    If the OP's info IS back from the 70's, mail-order ammunition was illegal until FOPA '86, so you would have had to have an FFL to get it. Hasn't been that way for nigh unto 30 years now.

I thought of that too, and I started looking into it because I knew you couldn't get it delivered by USPS, but I never figured out if it could be delivered by common carrier without the recipient being an FFL so I didn't include it in my response.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'm late to the party, but I have ordered handgun, rifle and .22 LR over the internet in some prodigious quantities, but I have it delivered to my office. That way I know it won't sit on the porch if no one is home.

BeDome

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE

Thanks, I have tried to explain in a number of ways that I have been a little out of touch lately, while raising two awesome kids.
    Now my young son is interested in learning about the varied collection of weaponry his dad has in two gun safes in the house, BUT, mostly in learning how to shoot, etc.
    He has never taken an interest before a few months back (when I allowed him some handling instructions and eventually some target time with my ancient pump pistol pellet gun) and this is something you can not force on a person.

Focusing on my "duties," I allowed MY interests to take a back seat. I only bought ammo at Walmart, for instance and Only bought two guns in almost twenty years.

AS my son demands an education, immediately (he is almost 16) I found that I could STILL shoot quite well (after a few years without practice - it just comes right back to you, honestly) with that old pump Crosman, another old pump carbine (Sheridan) and my .22 Ruger pistol.

I am not satisfied with his shooting for him to graduate to the .22 Ruger (I also own 3 Ruger 1022s which will come to him in time) just yet, but we are working on it.

Last edited:

BeDome

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    I'm late to the party, but I have ordered handgun, rifle and .22 LR over the internet in some prodigious quantities, but I have it delivered to my office. That way I know it won't sit on the porch if no one is home.

That notion kind of bothers me a bit.
    Are the deliver drivers allowed to leave packages containing ammunition on a porch, unsigned, etc?
    There is always an adult at our home, so the signature will not usually be a problem, but my works nights and sleeps early in the day.
    She works for UPS and most things that are "Scheduled (she calls it)" must have an adult signature to be delivered.
    Are you saying that ammo does NOT require a signature?

IF that is the case, then I can always have it delivered to my place of work. Either way, good to know, thanks.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    Are the deliver drivers allowed to leave packages containing ammunition on a porch, unsigned, etc?
    There is always an adult at our home, so the signature will not usually be a problem, but my works nights and sleeps early in the day.
    She works for UPS and most things that are "Scheduled (she calls it)" must have an adult signature to be delivered.

IF that is the case, then I can always have it delivered to my place of work. Either way, good to know, thanks.

I have had a lot of ammo/components delivered and never was a signature required. If no one was home, it was left sitting ar door. It is common now to receive tracking info before delivery. I know what day it will be delivered ( tracking link on delivery day shows ,on truck-out for delivery) and normal times that UPS or Fed Ex deliver to my neighborhood. I try to be there. It is also possible to give delivery instructions such as - leave inside garage side door ; leave at back door not front; etc. Not perfect I realize but not an issue where I live.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009

I have had a lot of ammo/components delivered and never was a signature required. If no one was home, it was left sitting ar door. It is common now to receive tracking info before delivery. I know what day it will be delivered ( tracking link on delivery day shows ,on truck-out for delivery) and normal times that UPS or Fed Ex deliver to my neighborhood. I try to be there. It is also possible to give delivery instructions such as - leave inside garage side door ; leave at back door not front; etc. Not perfect I realize but not an issue where I live.

Ammunition does not require a signature. With UPS now, if you don't want packages left on your porch and can't receive packages at work, you can go on their website and request that it be held for pickup (this may or may not be convenient depending on where their closest shipping hub is), reschedule delivery for when you will be home or for a fee you can have it rerouted to another address.

BeDome

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    Interestingly, both my shipments came on the same day. I ordered some shotgun shells, 22LR, .223, .308 and .44 mag along with a set of dies for .308. Mine are quite old and possibly worn a bit. I thought new ones might be prudent as I get back into reloading.

One vendor, Palmetto, has a terrible reputation on this site for having horrid service in regards to how long before they actually process an order and get it out the door. UPS is fairly reliable, once they have the package in their care.

I ordered at the same time from Gander Mountain as well. No delay with either shipment.

The packages arrived at the same time. I was sitting on my couch, watching a movie (napping) when the UPS chick ran up, dropped two boxes, pounded on the door and bounded back to her truck before I could even get to the door.

This whole damn thing of having ammo sent to my door is VERY new to me. This is cool!

God Bless The USA!!

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    This whole damn thing of having ammo sent to my door is VERY new to me. This is cool!

God Bless The USA!!

Welcome to my world ! I live in a rural area. I can shop a number of vendor's inventory, prices, shipping charges, etc. with no gas, mileage, and very little time involved. Order what you want, when you want. Shipping costs are offset in part or completely by no sales tax.

'Murica !

Last edited:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    FWIW, there is no limit on quanity you can have delivered to your house... I've had as much as 60,000 rds delivered at a time... that was a full pallet shipped via freight and we used our fork-lift to unload it...

BeDome

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    Anyone that was fishing for the classifieds would have run away a long time ago. You will fit right in here :yesway:

Ya know, I never imagined that a simple answer after asking a simple question on a forum of insightful people could possibly have ever taken up ten pages, but hey, I get it all now AND a lot more than before.

I remain, cool.

This thread is done. Thank you all, I remain locked and loaded with boots on!

Top Bottom