I need help.. I keep buying Beretta pistols..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Twinsen

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2016
    Indiana
    I used to like beretta pistols... then i learned to shoot and decided they were stuck in the past. Only recently since they lost their cushy m9 contract have they seemed to wake up a bit.

Unfortunately their pistols are expensive for what you get (a dressed up, not improved 92fs), their rifles have about 3lbs too much plastic on them, or just an odd shape for my taste.

I still think their semi auto shotguns are wonderful though

Twinsen

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2016
    Indiana
    This new 92Xi Squalo was posted awhile ago and I had forgotten about until I saw one at my dealers today, it's a great looking/feeling gun and the pictures on the website don't do it justice at all.

I saw this 12 years ago... when Taurus did it.

Screenshot_20240227_070606_Edge.jpg

Honestly Beretta, The Squalo? More like Squalor! Cutting edge T3ech-no-dodgy is a couple of quick cosmetic changes, copying really old basic user control fundementals.

They still havent addressed the horrible mag release that that gets in the way of any modern thumbs fwd grip (yes, its not the mag, its your grip that stops the slide from locking back), or the accuracy with the free floated muzzle (give us a bull or bushing beretta!) Or the slide so that when we add optics it doesnt look like a 2nd grader's school project. But hey, they did upgrade the price!!
    Screenshot_20240227_070328_Edge.jpg

Last edited:

Twinsen

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2016
    Indiana
    Thinking of buying the APX A1.
    A very underrated pistol. Dirt cheap, but high quality, and reliable, no frills. The slide is at first off putting, but once you use it you realize they're onto something. I am not going to swap out what i already have for it. But if i was just getting into it... would be on my list.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I saw this 12 years ago... when Taurus did it.

View attachment 336073

Honestly Beretta, The Squalo? More like Squalor! Cutting edge T3ech-no-dodgy is a couple of quick cosmetic changes, copying really old basic user control fundementals.

They still havent addressed the horrible mag release that that gets in the way of any modern thumbs fwd grip (yes, its not the mag, its your grip that stops the slide from locking back), or the accuracy with the free floated muzzle (give us a bull or bushing beretta!) Or the slide so that when we add optics it doesnt look like a 2nd grader's school project. But hey, they did upgrade the price!!
    View attachment 336074
    The original Beretta 92's were frame mounted safeties so actually Taurus copied Beretta. Are you really trying to compare a stock Taurus 92 to the new Squalo, have you handled one of those, they're very nice.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I used to like beretta pistols... then i learned to shoot and decided they were stuck in the past. Only recently since they lost their cushy m9 contract have they seemed to wake up a bit.

Unfortunately their pistols are expensive for what you get (a dressed up, not improved 92fs), their rifles have about 3lbs too much plastic on them, or just an odd shape for my taste.

I still think their semi auto shotguns are wonderful though
    Thanks for coming to the Beretta thread and letting us know lol, it's like the Glock guys that inevitably show up in every 1911 thread.

Twinsen

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2016
    Indiana
    Thanks for coming to the Beretta thread and letting us know lol, it's like the Glock guys that inevitably show up in every 1911 thread.
    Ha! Maybe I missed the premise of the thread. Seemed like ya'll were loathing the fact that you keep buying Beretta's. I thought I was helping by wiping the lipstick off the dead pig, as it were. If I could prevent one person from ever wanting a beretta 92 again, I will have done my good deed for the day.
    Sounds like logic has penetrated a little bit. If you read my posts, you have seen a gave a considerable nod to the APX and their shotguns, so let's no pretend it's like a Glock guy in a 1911 thread. It's like a Glock guy, in a Glock thread, that hasn't drunk the Kool-Aid. And considers each new firearm for what it is.

Twinsen

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2016
    Indiana
    The original Beretta 92's were frame mounted safeties so actually Taurus copied Beretta. Are you really trying to compare a stock Taurus 92 to the new Squalo, have you handled one of those, they're very nice.
    Eek! Thanks for the history lesson... but sad, Beretta had it right the first time.
    And yes... all the Taurus 92 needs is G10 grips.

Twinsen

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2016
    Indiana
    Here, I rewrote the propaganda for you:
    Introducing the BERETTA 92XI SQUALOR – a pistol that embodies power marketing, precision swapping of cheap parts for basic upgrades, and a relentless pursuit of duping you. “Squalor”, which means dirty, served as inspiration to the re-releasing of the same design from the 80's, this firearm is designed to make boomers feel hip and with it. We’ve harnessed cutting edge technology (we sold to Taurus years ago) to bring you the same pistol year after year, now with G10 grips ($10), a flat polished trigger ($10), and a cooler name (priceless) that gives a shameless nod to the 1911 this model replaced so long ago (yes, XI means 11). You'll be living in Squalor and all your friends will wonder why they aren't as cool as you.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Well I don't know if I can use the word Copied.. Beretta was nice enough to leave the original 92 tooling and plans behind.

Its more of a licensed clone that evolved in its own manner.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Introducing the BERETTA 92XI SQUALOR – a pistol that embodies power marketing, precision swapping of cheap parts for basic upgrades, and a relentless pursuit of duping you. “Squalor”, which means dirty, served as inspiration to the re-releasing of the same design from the 80's, this firearm is designed to make boomers feel hip and with it. We’ve harnessed cutting edge technology (we sold to Taurus years ago) to bring you the same pistol year after year, now with G10 grips ($10), a flat polished trigger ($10), and a cooler name (priceless) that gives a shameless nod to the 1911 this model replaced so long ago (yes, XI means 11). You'll be living in Squalor and all your friends will wonder why they aren't as cool as you.
    That seems a bit unfair. Its got some Toni Systems parts that have so far been unavailable in the US

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette

Maybe you missed the intent of drillsgt’s comment, too.

This is a Beretta thread. We like Berettas here. If you don’t like them, none of us are really interested in you trolling by crapping on them. Go start your own Beretta hater thread if you really need to get off about them that much…

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD

This is a Beretta thread. We like Berettas here. If you don’t like them, none of us are really interested in you trolling by crapping on them. Go start your own Beretta hater thread if you really need to get off about them that much…
    Like any gun the 92 series is not perfect, there are definitely better options if you want to run a red dot but it's an enduring design and with the changes over the last several years like the Vertec grip, dovetail front sight etc., a lot more shootable for different people.

Twinsen

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2016
    Indiana

I didn't miss his point. His point is incorrect. I don't hate Berettas (again, read all my posts). I hate the 92, and their attempt to repeat what the 1911 has done over the years in a very superficial way. They ask a crazy price for the Squalor and offer bare minimum feature upgrades in return that don't address the fundamental flaws of the gun. Redesign the slide, reinforce the lockup, change the slide release... but that is expensive... it would also merit the price they are asking.
    I don't see any problem with having a dissenting opinion about one of their models.
    Maybe you should start a new Beretta thread called "Beretta Kool-Aid Drinkers Unite - come be fragile with us"
    I feel the only people shooting 92 models do so casually, because of nostalgia (the camp I am in), or are paid to do so. They have almost no aftermarket support (any serious competition pistol does).

Twinsen

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2016
    Indiana
    Like any gun the 92 series is not perfect, there are definitely better options if you want to run a red dot but it's an enduring design and with the changes over the last several years like the Vertec grip, dovetail front sight etc., a lot more shootable for different people.
    I agree. But it is a shame. Beretta should be tuning the 92 enduring design into a real gem like they do with their shotgun investments and innovations.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette

I never said anything in specific about the 92 or whether it was perfect or not. However, I agree that for red dots there are designed better suited to hosting them. Nevertheless, LTT’s solution works well as evidenced by the influx of people shooting them in recent years.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    I didn't miss his point. His point is incorrect. I don't hate Berettas (again, read all my posts). I hate the 92, and their attempt to repeat what the 1911 has done over the years in a very superficial way. They ask a crazy price for the Squalor and offer bare minimum feature upgrades in return that don't address the fundamental flaws of the gun. Redesign the slide, reinforce the lockup, change the slide release... but that is expensive... it would also merit the price they are asking.
    I don't see any problem with having a dissenting opinion about one of their models.
    Maybe you should start a new Beretta thread called "Beretta Kool-Aid Drinkers Unite - come be fragile with us"
    I feel the only people shooting 92 models do so casually, because of nostalgia (the camp I am in), or are paid to do so. They have almost no aftermarket support (any serious competition pistol does).

Cool. For most Beretta aficionados, that means the 92. So again, if you want to crap on the main pistol Beretta’s known for, doing so in another thread seems more appropriate. Nobody here cares that you hate it, because for the most part, we don’t. Please go make your own thread rather than clutter ours up.

Robert B.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2023
    Anderson
    And not just the small ones, the big ones too, and odd ones.

Anyone else have the Beretta obsession?

I do need help, I bought a polartec fleece to go with all the Beretta Pistols I have ordered.

In just couple of months. I have purchased.

New in box 92FS, Made in Italy, 2017
    3032 Tomcat
    951 with the 1975/1976 only Alloy (M1951)
    21A Bobcat Two Tone (Gun store had it listed as an INOX)
    85BB Cheetah.
    92F Compact

Send help!

View attachment 254281
    I feel your pain,I purchased 3 1911's in the last 3 weeks,I could use a little help myself.

Top Bottom