• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stove

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    OK, my wife says "hunny the computer screen is blue". GREAT. I'm not at home and cannot recall the exact error message. I should mention I am running XP.

So after many attempts to get it to boot, I try it from the CD. I cannot get repair console to do any good. So I just opt to reload XP. All goes well, except part way through it says a few files are missing from the CD? I have no choice but to continue on.

I complete install, all appears fine. EXCEPT is keeps asking for admin password, that I never set up. During the install it never ask to set this up, which I thought it was supposed to do. So know I am stuck again.

I am not sure what I should do. I would like to keep from formatting the whole drive, not that there is probably much left now!

Any advice, or repair shops on the northside that won't been me over?

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    By default the Administrator password is ( null ) ie. NOTHING, just hit enter.

If that doesn't work, reboot the machine - once the BIOS POSTS, start hitting the F8 key. You'll be prompted with a windows boot loader screen, choose "Safe Mode".

Once it boots, you should automagically be logged in as Administrator - this is an XP back door exploit. Here you will be able to change passwords for any of your accounts that exist on the machine.

Hope this helps.

Stove

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    By default the Administrator password is ( null ) ie. NOTHING, just hit enter.

If that doesn't work, reboot the machine - once the BIOS POSTS, start hitting the F8 key. You'll be prompted with a windows boot loader screen, choose "Safe Mode".

Once it boots, you should automagically be logged in as Administrator - this is an XP back door exploit. Here you will be able to change passwords for any of your accounts that exist on the machine.

Hope this helps.

thanks I will try that when I get home tonight!

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    floating fishies?

LOL

Do what I did. Go to newegg.com, buy Vista Ultimate (I got 64) and get the free 320gb WD SATA HDD for $175.

It's installing and all is well. Woah. I think the BSOD just flashed across the screen.

FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC********************

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    floating fishies?

LOL

Do what I did. Go to newegg.com, buy Vista Ultimate (I got 64) and get the free 320gb WD SATA HDD for $175.

It's installing and all is well. Woah. I think the BSOD just flashed across the screen.

FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC********************

Why not just download Linux? No virus' spyware and best of all it's FREE!

slackerisme

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Just north of Ft. Wayne
    I would try " Last known good configuration" at safe mode screen. This resets your SAM files. If that fails I would go for a format and re-install, or make a partition install to the new partition and transfer your docs.

You may want to use your disc to boot to the recovery console (the windows one not the dell one) and run a chkdsk -r. This will fix any bad sectors which is what it sounds like your chasing. Good Luck.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'd use the KISS method.
    Pull that HD before doing anything else. Set it up as a slave in another system or put it in a USB box to recover your files. Put them elsewhere. Then you can format the drive, letting Windows install the way it is happiest doing so.

Stove

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    With everyone's help, I have gotten back in. It is not right, but I'm in. There is nothing on the desktop, none of the programs are showing up, but they are in the hard drive. I dug in and found everything in the same folders. None of the software is showing, so my excel files are listed but won't pull up.

I think at this point I'm going to let someone with a more knowledge figure it out. I don't want to lose stuff if I can keep from it.

thanks for all the help.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Do not install vista. I hate vista. Half of my office applications do not work correctly and there are still tons of issues. Then there are all the vista media issues. We have one machine running Vista and that is all I will ever have(my main is still running xp).
    Long list of Vista bugs that will keep me off Vista | George Ou | ZDNet.com
    As for your programs being there but gone,my guess is you are logged on as a different user than you used to be and that some where your old user account is still there. Go to your start menu and see if you can log off and log in as another user.

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    Actually, you might have more luck dumping windows and installing linux at this point. I use Netsec for my laptop and a Debian for my desktop.

however i would suggest Ubuntu: Ubuntu Home Page | Ubuntu

It might seem silly or scary at first but in all honesty unless you are using alot of high power windows only apps, a linux distro is ALOT easier and ALOT cheaper.

oh and for the future backup, backup, backup buy a external hard drive that is the same size as your in box and set your comp to auto backup every time you shut down.

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    Do not install vista. I hate vista. Half of my office applications do not work correctly and there are still tons of issues. Then there are all the vista media issues. We have one machine running Vista and that is all I will ever have(my main is still running xp).
    Long list of Vista bugs that will keep me off Vista | George Ou | ZDNet.com
    As for your programs being there but gone,my guess is you are logged on as a different user than you used to be and that some where your old user account is still there. Go to your start menu and see if you can log off and log in as another user.

well your problem isn't vista it's office

check out: OpenOffice.org - The Free and Open Productivity Suite

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I happen to love Vista.. If you need windows then I recommend it. I have it on my desktop and laptop. If you can run Linux then by all means, do that. :) I do run openoffice on my computer too... well, on my laptop.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Brandonki
    Top Bottom