• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • grahamsy2k

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Terre Haute
    I have Winchester model 70. And I love it. The only problem is its a 270. I've kinda realized that 270 isn't a very popular caliber. So, I've been wanting to get A more popular caliber rifle. So should I stick with my 270, which I love. Or trade it for a different, 308 or 30-06 rifle. Because I really don't want to have both, because i don't want to two expensive calibers to have to buy ammo for.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    .270 is a very popular caliber. just not so much in IN because of hunting restrictions.
    If you want a bigger gun, or something in a military caliber for TEOTWAWKI, go ahead and make the switch. But just throw your baby out for the sake of popularity? Never!

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    If I were you, I'd stockpile (what ever that means to you) ammo for it. At least buy it periodically when you have extra :spend: .

Then get something more currently available and mainstream when you can in addition to it. I wouldn't get rid of something you love as you'll always regret it.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    There's not much in the US that can't be hunted with a .270...

Some argue that it's a bit light for Elk - but there are plenty of elk that would like to argue that.

It probably IS too light for brown bears and moose.

It's a fine caliber - and a fine rifle. Find ammo that the rifle "likes" and you can get good solid hits at 300 yards easy. With a good scope it'll punch paper a goodly ways beyond that.

-J-

RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    Who cares if its a popular caliber? 30 years ago when you were stuck with what the hardware store and the local gun shop carried, maybe, but today anything can be brought right to your door with a few clicks on the web.

I went to Bulk Ammo and they had 32 boxes of S&B, 29 boxes of Remington, etc ready to ship. Shouldn't be hard to stockpile a bit.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    .270 is one of the most popular calibers out there. I dont know where you are thinking otherwise. Almost every gunstore outdoors store and walmart in the country will have .270 on its shelf.

For a good deal check out remington corelokts. when dicks runs sales you can normally pick it up for around 14 a box of 20 and its pretty decent ammo.

grahamsy2k

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Terre Haute
    .270 is one of the most popular calibers out there. I dont know where you are thinking otherwise. Almost every gunstore outdoors store and walmart in the country will have .270 on its shelf.

For a good deal check out remington corelokts. when dicks runs sales you can normally pick it up for around 14 a box of 20 and its pretty decent ammo.

when are said sales?

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I sure wouldn't get rid of the .270, it is a popular caliber, accurate and capable of hunting most game in the US. However if you like to target a lot, .308 and 30-06 surplus military ammo is cheaper to shoot. If money is limited another rifle I would advise you to look at is the surplus Russian 91/30 - you can pick one up for less than $150 and ammo, 7.62 X54R (comparable to 30-06) is around $100 to $120 for a 440 round box. Kicks pretty hard but is fairly accurate and I'm sure they will be a good investment. In any case if you are interested, reloading is the cheapest method of acquiring ammunition -and is a lot of fun. I would sure save all your brass from your .270 so you can reload later if you decide you like it, if not you can always sell or trade.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    If you really want to keep the .270 then keep it and buy you a used reloader. Grab a set of new/used carbide dies and then get a bunch of once fired .270 brass, reloading components (primers, powder, bullets) and reload your own! It not hard to do at all and there are plenty of experienced reloaders on here to ask questions and the reloading annual book(s) are great info also.
    I use a RCBS Rockchucker for .223, 7.62x39, .308, .45acp.

They can be had usually half price on ebay and gunbroker if you watch long enough.

Top Bottom