• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    It has been 30 years since I've been hunting, and this year I've become interested in coyote hunting. I've been a few times, but it hasn't been really cold enough to worry. Now that it's getting colder, I know I need proper gear. I know merino wool is a good base layer, but beyond that, I'm clueless. I want something light, warm, good at blocking wind, and quiet all at the same time.

So, what do I want?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I'm just gonna wear my cheapo Habit brand crap with my UA base. Works, not ideal.
    Still some Outfitter camo wool would be nice.................post Xmas to myself maybe.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    For sitting still in cold weather, the KUIU stuff is NOT warm. It is made for extreme light weight high country hunting (read backpack type hunting). Is it light, yes, does it look cool, yes, is it warm, no,...not based on my use. In my opinion, layers (wicking, insulation, more insulation, windproof/waterproof, in that order) with light weight camo shirt and pants over the top is the best way to go. You can spend a ton on high end warm camo, but do it for less with adequate layers and light weight camo cover over the top. That system is much more flexible and you'll get more use out of the lighter weight than heavy insulated camo that you are only going to wear a few times.

Dirty Steve

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Call and go yote hunting..........get hot in transition, get cold when stopped.
    Try to split the diff
    I'll unzip everything upper in moving, but not peel layers.
    PITA either way really.
    Gotta move slow to make it work.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    For cold weather I'll wear a silk weight base, merino wool over that, fleece layer and a windproof layer over that, Goretex is a plus. The only thing that gets cold is my feet but that's a different conversation. The silk weight and fleece can be el cheapo stuff, I spend decent money on merino and the outer layer. Bought a bunch of Nomad outer this year. Don't think I'd pay full retail but they've got a clearance sale going online which makes it more affordable.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    713aICpPtsL._UL1500_.jpg

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    So, look into Nomad, Sitka, Kuiu. Any other brand?

Big tanker, I think you're onto something. No pants is a plus, awesome name on the front, but I think I need long sleeves.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    For cold weather I'll wear a silk weight base, merino wool over that, fleece layer and a windproof layer over that, Goretex is a plus. The only thing that gets cold is my feet but that's a different conversation. The silk weight and fleece can be el cheapo stuff, I spend decent money on merino and the outer layer. Bought a bunch of Nomad outer this year. Don't think I'd pay full retail but they've got a clearance sale going online which makes it more affordable.

Where is it on clearance?

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.

BStarkey 46947

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    My current setup:

Bibs: Cabela's Men's MT050® Whitetail Extreme® Bibs with GORE-TEX® and Thinsulate? – Regular : Cabela's

Coat: Cabela's Men's MT050® Extreme-Weather 7-in-1 Parka – Regular : Cabela's

This set is some serious money I realize, but is BY FAR the nicest stuff I have ever worn.
    If you hold out another few weeks, these will be a little cheaper, but the common sizes go very fast once the markdown happens so check it daily and be ready to buy.

:yesway::yesway:++
    I bought my 13 yr. old a set like this for deer hunting this year. He never once complained about being cold (only hot). He now has better set than his old man. I have a Cabela's set of Stand Hunter (bibs and parka) that are 10 years old and love them. I always shop bargain cave first. My goal is always to buy once and never shed a tear.

mulsas

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 14, 2012
    Westfield
    Started hunting a few years ago with my son. Pretty limited budget and a growing kid = military surplus for colder weather gear. Still don't have a Sitka/Kuiu budget, but I picked up some MidwayUSA brand coat and overalls after hunting season last year at a decent sale price.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/232785/midwayusa-mens-hunters-creek-parka

I don't have anything great to compare them to, but have been happy with them. Not super heavy, but I've had a few layers on underneath and stayed relatively comfortable.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Good suggestions so far - especially the Cabelas stuff. Several suggested layering which is the real key. But also remember that you need loose fitting layers to create air space. Anything that is layered that is really tight will not insulate as well regardless of the composition of the material nor the number of layers.

Start with some nylon. Then layer accordingly after that. Remember - if you're overdressed when walking you'll sweat - and that is your worst enemy. I once hunted on Colorado at -13. However, it was bright and sunny, very low humidity, and NO WIND. I only wore two layers of long underwear, some medium weight pants, a wool shirt, and a medium weight coat and I wasn't cold. I've also put on everything I had in Indiana at 32 degrees on a damp and very windy day and about froze to death !

Consider buying your most outer garments in one size larger than you normally wear. For example, if you normally wear an XL, buy a 2XL top layer. This will give you room for several layers under the outer layer and still provide for a non restricted fit. Wool is great and will retain warmth even when wet. But the Cabelas MT050 stuff is really good and if you get something with goretex you're really good to go.

Dont know your size(s) but if you wanna see several different options and want to drive to Zionsville send me a pm.

I have Cabelas stuff - both MT050 and and set of wool. Plus several other sets. I've been thru about all the options. Not say'in I have everything Cabelas has ever sold, but I have most of what different options they offered. I mostly sit trees stands now for whitetails - but used to do some coyote hunting in the "past" lane. I would drive from site to site and then set up and call for up to 30 minutes and then relocate. I would dress according to the weather AND the distance I had to walk to get to each area.

Last edited:

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Huge fan of layering.

I am merino wool base, Polar fleece, then breathable outer coat. I also pack in a rain/wind blocking outer shell in my pack so once I get into my stand and the body temps and moisture start to regulate and can put on the final layer.

I have hunted with people that use just one HEAVY outer coat but I can't work like that.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I spent about 300 ish on a Redhead brand bibs and a three in one coat.

Best I ever had and tossed my base layer stuff in the garbage. Totally not needed anymore. It's soft quiet and warm.

You don't have to spend a bunch. With snow on the ground an old bed sheet and a spray can of black works just as well if not better. Get out and hunt.

Another fellow yote blaster I know uses an old camo sleeping bag. Run what ya bring and get in the bag.

Electronic caller, decoy, rifle, and a bunch of ammo. Get ready to whack and stack.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom