• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I am about to take 26 students to Ghana in May. Every other time I've attended this class, I was a subordinate instructor, but this time I will be the lead instructor. One of the issues foremost in my mind whenever I take students abroad is safety. Along with safety is first aid.

I've honestly forgotten everything I learned in the Army. I guess it would be better to say that I wouldn't trust myself to implement what I do remember. So, I need some training. The question is where do I go?

I want to be able to care for major wounds that occur far away from medical facilities. I also need to know the right type of equipment to take with me. Any help with pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    I recommend you talk to Bill of Rights and Redneckmedic. Both are professional responders and might be able to help you in your search for the right information. :yesway:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Ghana...
    Been a while since I was there...
    Not looking forward to going back either...

What kind of Med Supplies will you have access to?!
    How far to a Med Facility?!

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    If you already had some type of training in the past maybe a basic first aid/CPR class from the Red Cross would bring memory back.
    I attempted a two days class at my local Red Cross a couple of years ago, I didn't really learn anything new since I already had some previous knowledge, but it was nice to see that the things I knew where the good things to do.
    And I was able to practice CPR on mannequins and other skills on people.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Ghana? Really? Why do I find that really cool?

I would start with the Red Cross or your township's fire department.

Here are classes for the Red Cross:

First Aid/CPR/AED

I think broken bones, burns, lacerations, etc. will be more likely than gunshot wounds.

Hoosierbuck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Mission trip?
    I addition to Kirk Freeman's guesses, I would add sprains and strains, and general infection of small injuries as top concerns. I think I would want a good bit of antiseptic/antibiotic and the accompanying strile coverings, plus a pair of adjustable crutches could make the difference between a person being ambulatory and being a huge burden. Those are darn incovenient, though. Splints can be field expedient, but an aircast is awful nice. Problem is making sure it is the right size. Random thoughts which I'm sure you have already covered. I'll shut up now.
    Good luck, and if you find an excellent resource, please share.
    HB

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Ghana...
    Been a while since I was there...
    Not looking forward to going back either...

What kind of Med Supplies will you have access to?!
    How far to a Med Facility?!

Are we talking about the same place in west Africa? I'm asking because most people confuse Ghana with Guyana when I tell them about it. I'm wondering why you would have had a mission to Ghana or is it something you can't discuss?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Based on past experience, I'm mostly concerned with the injuries that Kirk listed. However, I would also like to be prepared for animal/insect bites and the minute possibility of a gunshot wound.

I'm sure Esrice can locate one of my threads from 2010 when I asked the authorities in Ghana if I could have a gun and was told, "Ghana is a peaceful country. Unlike America, we do not have the need for guns." I think it was two hours later that our buses were attacked by men with AK's. :xmad:

MangoTango

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    The best medical education for well rounded knowledge of what you would need is any course by Wilderness Medical Associates. The WFR course will get you better prepared than an EMT ( many RNs and MDs took this as well before they created a course for advanced providers)in a short amount of time and the Wildenss Advanced First Aid is a good intro. The classes have been created with the latest medical information and the instructors are from all over the world with boots on the ground experience. many have worked on Everest, white water, grand canyon, extended trips etc. It is based on Evidenced based Practice, not anectdotal's. Check them out at Wilderness Medical Associates

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Just like most environments, your primary concerns will likely by environmental in nature. In addition, first response to cardiac/stroke will be helpful. Next will likely be regional illness and as you mention, insect and animal bites. Last but not least, trauma. Being able to perform a good primary and secondary survey in addition to getting a decent SAMPLE will take you a long way.

Our medical director, Tom Hildebrand, could get you up to speed.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Based on past experience, I'm mostly concerned with the injuries that Kirk listed. However, I would also like to be prepared for animal/insect bites and the minute possibility of a gunshot wound.

I'm sure Esrice can locate one of my threads from 2010 when I asked the authorities in Ghana if I could have a gun and was told, "Ghana is a peaceful country. Unlike America, we do not have the need for guns." I think it was two hours later that our buses were attacked by men with AK's. :xmad:

Im sure you can buy a full auto AK with a full mag for $50 buck over there.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green

You can buy about anything you want there as far as Weapons. At surprisingly great prices... :popcorn:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Are we talking about the same place in west Africa? I'm asking because most people confuse Ghana with Guyana when I tell them about it. I'm wondering why you would have had a mission to Ghana or is it something you can't discuss?
    I have been to both places....

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere

:ugh:

Top Bottom