• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    I decided I wanted to invest in a decent multi-purpose cleaning system. I researched on the net a bit and ended up ordering a Ottis Elite Cleaning system. It came today and for 100.00 , I am disappointed. I'm gonna send it back but I wanted to hear from you guys suggestions for a decent cleaning system. I thought 100 bucks would get me something, but maybe I'm wrong.
    After researching a bit, I think I've been pretty abusive to my guns with the ProShot cleaning stuff I've been using. I plan to break in the AR this weekend so I want to baby it and do everything I can to protect it.
    Thanks

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    My cleaning supplies include.

1. Bore snakes
    2. Rem oil
    3. Bore cleaner
    4. Tooth brush
    5. Bore light
    6. Q tips
    7. Synthetic safe gun scrub

I have found you do not need some fancy kit to take care of your guns, and keep them clean.

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    I was coming in here to suggest the Otis kit.:dunno:

What don't you like about it?

I just felt like I fell for the marketing glitz on the web. You have to use thier fancy patches for the jags. Too many "rods". Which are really pull cables as you know.
    I dont feel like it is very careful with barrel and breech as far as the brass to metal contact. The parts seem kinda flimsy to me but maybe Im expecting too much.
    I thought 100 bucks would impress me.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    My cleaning supplies include.

1. Bore snakes
    2. Rem oil
    3. Bore cleaner
    4. Tooth brush
    5. Bore light
    6. Q tips
    7. Synthetic safe gun scrub

I have found you do not need some fancy kit to take care of your guns, and keep them clean.

This! If you feel the need to spend some money and you want a cleaning rod, then a decent coated rod like a dewey might be in order. I have one for my bolt gun, but for the AR, the bore snake and other items mentioned by US Patriot should have you good to go in my limited opinion.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    For a AR a bore snake,M16 toothbrush,scotchpad to clean the bolt tail, a old 20 or 12 ga. bore brush for cleaning inside the carrier and chamber and some breakfree. Otis kits are nice but pricey. But as others have said you don't need some fancy kit to keep a AR clean.

msquared

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    Like the others said, build your own with what you need. I have assembled a kit with some tipton carbon rods, various picks, q-tips, chamber rod guide for AR, bore light, bore snakes etc all in a plano tackle box.

I do 99% of my cleaning with alcohol wipes and bore snakes. For really grimy stuff I use Gunzilla. When I do a complete cleaning of my AR i use this http://www.brownells.com/1/1/48568-...brush-pak-ar-15-brush-pak-iosso-products.html

In my experience buying kits just gives you stuff you dont use and boxes that dont hold what you really want.

Last edited:

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Yeah, I'm going to be in need of a good rod for cleaning a 24" bolt gun...... I was looking for info on this too. My current rod is barely long enough to clean my 16" rifles, it won't be anywhere near long enough for a 24" barrel without removing the bolt...

TREETOP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Carmel/Westfield
    Every prepackaged cleaning kit I've thought of buying either has extra stuff I don't need, or is short on things I do need. Over the years I've pretty much pieced together the stuff I use regularly from some old kits and just added what I've needed.
    I just use a cloth tool bag like this to keep it all in:
    11" Tool Bag
    That way I can take my stuff to the range or a match if I want, and I can just keep it open on my workbench if I'm at home.

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    I just felt like I fell for the marketing glitz on the web. You have to use thier fancy patches for the jags. Too many "rods". Which are really pull cables as you know.
    I dont feel like it is very careful with barrel and breech as far as the brass to metal contact. The parts seem kinda flimsy to me but maybe Im expecting too much.
    I thought 100 bucks would impress me.

Ummm not to be a smart ass, but....all my ammo is brass, and I'm pretty sure it slams into the chamber much harder and faster than you are putting the Otis cable in at. Not to mention if you ever shoot Wolf ammo that's steel on steel...:twocents:

Also you don't have to use the patches that are made for the system, they are just cut in a way that you get six swipes from one patch, so that it's nearly a clean patch with every swipe.

Otis Technology

I have the older version of this without the toothbrush, but it does all my weapons, my 40 Glock, AR, and 12ga. I throw that kit in my pack and it takes up like 0 room, I even took it with me when we did weapons Qual a few weekends ago and put it in my cargo pockets.

Top Bottom