• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • twsulli54

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Avon
    I'm looking to spend no more than $1500, I really like the smith and wessons 686 and r8. I was looking at their Talo distributor inc. Exclusives with the textured wood grip handles. Do the wood grips do a good job handling recoil absorption or are they considerably worse?

3gunshooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Williamsport
    I'm looking to spend no more than $1500, I really like the smith and wessons 686 and r8. I was looking at their Talo distributor inc. Exclusives with the textured wood grip handles. Do the wood grips do a good job handling recoil absorption or are they considerably worse?
    All mine have rubber and you can get either one at about a grand or less. I got my R8 at buds for 1035 this year. Shop around.

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN

I think the weight of the pistol probably makes a bigger difference in terms of recoil. The Talo 686 you mention is about 8 ounces heavier than the R8 and that makes a difference. I will also say that I took the rugger grip off of my Model 19 .357 and put on wood grips and I did not notice any difference really. And if all else fails, you can change the grips.

If I had your budget to work with, I would get the Performance Center 627....Product: Model 627

But do not listen to me, either of the models you mention is a fine choice and I am sure you will be pleased. Good luck!!

Last edited:

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    I'm looking to spend no more than $1500, I really like the smith and wessons 686 and r8.

Heck, for that kind of money, I could buy 3 or more guns that would suffice nicely. Remember, if you ever actually have to use it in a SD situation, LE will be hanging on to your $1,500 gun for God only knows how long. :twocents:

Top Bottom