• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Alright guys, I've not found anyone in the area to sharpen my knives and now every knife in my kitchen is dull. I only have one pocket knife that's worth carrying, because the rest are so dull. I need a sharpening system and I think this is the one I will go with. Has anyone had any experience with the Work Sharp system?

[video=youtube;N6GVHHNjMgE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6GVHHNjMgE[/video]

I may consider the Ken Onion Edition, but I don't see any difference besides the easier method to adjust the angle.

[video=youtube;ImicZxkktR4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImicZxkktR4[/video]

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    I love my work sharp. A slight learning curve to avoid rounding the tips of your knives, but is easy once you get that down.

Be careful though. My mom didn't listen when I told her, half a million times, that the kitchen knives will be sharper than they were brand new. Low and behold she has cut herself atleast 5 times, one of which took the very tip of her thumb off. I also cut myself fairly bad (not needing stitches though) when cleaning my BK2 after forcing a patina on it. Careless mistake on my part.

They will be very sharp. Seriously, be careful.

Can use it for scissors and tools as well which is great. Used it on my Special Forces Shovel, and I use one at work for lawn mower blades and such.

Last edited:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Which one do you have? Is there any need to purchase the special "Onion" edition?

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    I have the standard one. The only real differences I noticed in the KO one is the angle adjustment, wider belts, a little beefier design, and price.

I'm not a huge knife guy, so I didn't feel any of that was necessary. The standard one comes with guides for common angles and I don't know what the benefit of wider belts would be. I'm sure those features exist for a reason, but mine handled the 30 some kitchen knives my mom had me sharpen just fine.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have one and believe I like it. It sets the convex edge well. My best hair popping edges come when using the Spiderco Sharpmaker after the KO Work Sharp.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Take them to 54th and Keystone lil hole in the wall Manufactures Service Company
    [h=1]Manufacturer's Service Co[/h]Today:10:00 am - 4:00 pm
    Tomorrow:10:00 am - 4:00 pm

2174 E 54th St,
    Indianapolis, IN 46220
    (317) 255-0139

I take all my knives there for $3 a knife sharpened razor sharp while you wait.

Nice guy and plenty of LEO's stop by to get their knives sharpened.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Steel Core, I would really like to learn how to sharpen for myself. My dad could make a razor sharp edge from a stone, but I don't have that talent. It's embarassing to have quality knives and not have the ability or resource to keep them up. There is a local place that sells top-end culinary equipment and they sharpen knives, but prefer only sharpening kitchen knives they sell.

If I choose this route, does anyone know if there are other items I should order and save on shipping?

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Might as well order some extra belts as well. They last a while but it's nice to have them on hand. They're supposed to send you belts if you register the product online, but I never got mine.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Steel Core, I would really like to learn how to sharpen for myself. My dad could make a razor sharp edge from a stone, but I don't have that talent. It's embarassing to have quality knives and not have the ability or resource to keep them up. There is a local place that sells top-end culinary equipment and they sharpen knives, but prefer only sharpening kitchen knives they sell.

If I choose this route, does anyone know if there are other items I should order and save on shipping?

A fellow who can sharpen his own tools has learned a truly useful skill. I bought a simple Smith System sharpening kit on fleabay and added a piece of an old belt slathered with Mothers aluminum polish for a strop. 1 course and one fine diamond stone. 1 V shaped Arkansas sto
    ne for serrated blades, and a clamp to hold the angle. Simple, useful, inexpensive, and soothing to use while enjoying a glass of tea on the porch. I remove less metal so my knives will last longer and employed some time in an enjoyable fashion that I might have otherwise, just wasted.

Are you still in the Old Dominion, Que?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    A fellow who can sharpen his own tools has learned a truly useful skill. I bought a simple Smith System sharpening kit on fleabay and added a piece of an old belt slathered with Mothers aluminum polish for a strop. 1 course and one fine diamond stone. 1 V shaped Arkansas sto
    ne for serrated blades, and a clamp to hold the angle. Simple, useful, inexpensive, and soothing to use while enjoying a glass of tea on the porch. I remove less metal so my knives will last longer and employed some time in an enjoyable fashion that I might have otherwise, just wasted.

Are you still in the Old Dominion, Que?

Still here and loving it. Not as many people/friends to play with, but a lot more to do.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    love mine!, i got the ken onion edition, and bought an extra set of belts(i havent even opened up the box on those yet!). i did follow the instructions and used a cheep flea market knife to practice on, but i think its the best that ive ever tried, i even fixed the edge on a gerber that my dad messed up!

i keep the second finest belt on(the x4 belt) and if i ever need to touch up an edge, i just plug it in abd one or two strokes and its back to laser sharp!

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I just came back from Virginia. I would have come over with my Bro's stones and taught your dumbass how to sharpen stuff like a real man. Maybe next time, and then we can go sharkin' after or kill snakes in the swamp to test them. (for those who need it use Purple where you think it applies)

PS I just looked at all the versions of the work sharp, and they have two very nice attachments available for the Ken Onion. If just doing knives the standard would do nicely. If you love knives and want more flexibility to go it by hand and have other things to sharpen the KO would be handy to have around.

Last edited:

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Even though we just talked on the phone about this I'll post up anyhow. The work sharp is awesome. especially when you just don't have a ton of time to set up the other systems. Simple to adjust and set up and super fast sharpening. I personally got the Ken onion edition as I buy most things used and got a heck of a deal. then I bought the blade grinding attachment at blade show and Love it. It works awesome. I highly recommend it to anyone looking at this thread. I have sharpened hundreds of knives on mine. The convex edge is perfect for edc use and holds up the best imo.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    Years back I almost bought the Lansky sharpening system.I got a magnifing lens with the light,that mounts on a bench.If you really want to see what you are doing freehand,it will let you see what is happening.I freehand all my knifes,and after a while,you don"t need the magnifing lens as much. It is a real good investment....fixing tiny things...pulling out metal shavings....burning ants....

Last edited:

dirt43

Shooter
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Greenwood
    I have a Work sharp standard edition I am looking to sell for $40 I still have the box and some belts just not the DVD. PM if interested. Or text 317-797-3116

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    I have an older wooden block setup from Lansky. Has 2 crok sticks stored inside and 2 ceremic sticks with angled holes drilled in block. Works great for me in a smaller portable setup.( sticks store insde block) has nearly no learning curve and can , and has, handled everything ive thrown at it.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    My father had the eye, the touch and the feel to sharpen blades of any kind. I don't. Since Ken Onion designed some of my favorite knives, I think I will need one of the KO Work Sharp Systems soon.

Que, thanks for posting.

Top Bottom