I picked up a H&K USP and here are my thoughts.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    As the title says I have finally got around to picking up another H&K handgun.. a year or so ago I had a H&K P7 in 9mm and although an interesting gun in it's own right. I could never get used to the grip safety and cleaning of the fluted chamber.

So yesterday I went out and picked myself up a lightly used H&K USP variant 1 in 45 auto, and all I have to say is I LIKE THIS GUN.

First impressions:

I have handled USP's in the past at gun shows and from a few friend's that have owned them..but I never took the time to see how my point of aim would be with one of these guns especially with the larger 45 model compared to say the 9mm. Although it is a larger pistol then what I am used too it still felt right in my hand, and despite it's size I could still operate the magazine release and thumb safety without much difficulty.

Shooting impressions:

Right after I picked this beast up from the shop, I went with the guy I bought it from to the Muncie rifle & pistol club. Being he is a member he had me come in as a guest to try the place out. *More on that in a different thread*.

I started off with my Glock 19 as a warm up and fired from about 30 feet. After running a few mags I decided it was time to give the USP a try. The ammo used was some Russian Tula 45 FMJ's. I fired the weapon in both double action and single action and for some reason I was hitting the targets better with the USP then with my Glock. I am not sure if that's because it has three dot sights opposed to the Glock's factory sights. But even with the gun's larger caliber it was much easier to hit paper with. Also recoil in my opinion was no more significant then with the Glock 19.

Things I noted about the gun and my experience so far:

Pro's:

1. I like that the gun can be carried as a double action hammer down safety on or off, or in single action mode cocked & locked like a 1911.

2. I like the three dot sights on it, they made follow up shots much easier.

3. I really like the recoil reduction system, it made shooting the 45 feel like a 9mm.

4. I like that it has an ambi mag release.

Con's:

1. It's an expensive gun.

2. Extra mags are also expensive and somewhat hard to find unless I order them or look around at a Gun show. No places in town carry them.

3. It's still a big pistol and I am unsure if I will ever try to CCW this weapon.

4. The proprietary rail although it makes the gun look more uniform..if I ever decide to get a light installed I will have to find an adapter first.

5. Apparently H&K customer service sucks.

Final impression:

I really like this gun, and I really enjoyed shooting it. As said above I can't say if I will ever try carrying this as a personal defense weapon..but I am now giving serious thought on replacing my Glock 19 with a H&K USP compact in 9mm as my go too carry gun. In my opinion if you got the money to buy one you should give it a try. You get what you pay for speaks volumes with this gun.

and finally here's a pic I took after cleaning. Sorry if it's a little blurry as it was taken with my cell.

227828_10150583714275596_667380595_18218937_6715178_n.jpg

Brian S.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    Toto, IN
    I love my USP 40 compact!

I have heard nothing but raves about the HK45 compact but they are even more expensive than the USPs.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Yeah I am really liking this gun so far, and I have seen a HK 45 for sale at one of the shop's I go too it was a lot pricier then the USP's he had for sale. But personally I like the feel of the USP better. :D

Brian S.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    Toto, IN
    From what I have heard, HK service does NOT suck. Maybe they used to, but people have been having very good experiences with them.

huskymt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Nevada
    Congrats on the new weapon. Yesterday I looked at both the HK USP 40 compact and the HK P30 and I could not believe how much better the P30 felt to me. The P30 was a lot lighter and the grip is better than ANY other gun I have ever handled. Great job HK!!

skeetman28

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    South Bend
    I have 3 hk's,2 in compact v3 9mm and 357 sig, and the p30 in 40 which by far feels like no other gun I have handled.You have to shoot one to really get the feel of it ....naturally points...shoots great...cudo's also to hk...cngrats on your purchase and don't be afraid to get a compact when the money is right....

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    USP C in 9mm and USP C 357 both variant 1's. Love them both. Would like to add a 45 some day.

Getting ready to have the bobbed hammers removed for standard hammers.

Enjoy them!:welcome:

Recently picked up a Sig 230JP in .32. Will post a write up when i get time.

AR Maker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Morgan County-MSG2
    Congratz and welcome to the club. I have had my USP .40 for many years, was my daily carry for about 5 years. In a Galco OWB it is very comfortable to carry all day IMO.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Thanks for all the replies guys. When I mentioned their customer service sucked. I was just going from what I heard other people say about it. I don't know if they do or don't just going from what I have heard.

But yeah I really do enjoy this pistol and can't wait get my hands on a USP compact for concealed carry!! :D

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Thanks for all the replies guys. When I mentioned their customer service sucked. I was just going from what I heard other people say about it. I don't know if they do or don't just going from what I have heard.

But yeah I really do enjoy this pistol and can't wait get my hands on a USP compact for concealed carry!! :D

Glad to hear you're enjoying the new pistol, my next full-sized pistol will likely be a HK USP, maybe a 9mm.

As far as quoting other's experiences with any company's customer service is concerned, I would refrain from telling others that it "sucks" until you've personally dealt with them. They just might have the best customer service in the business. Give them to chance to prove that they don't suck before assuming otherwise. :twocents:

kwood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 27, 2010
    lizton/brownsburg
    i have loved every USP that i have had!
    they are great

also for a good place to find HK mags etc.
    go to...
    HKPRO Forums
    ....and check out their classified section
    you will find good prices on used mags etc.

have fun!

jjlaughner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I Own three H&K USP's and love all of them! they are great guns!! Congrats on your new gun!!

:+1:Ditto! USP9, USP40c and USP45
    I've thinned out my collection over the last few years with the new house and kid but I still have the USP45 and very good friends have the other two. Great guns, never an issue (non-ammo related issue).

Obiward

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Fortville
    I've had a USP 45 for over a year and I love it. I shoot it more accurately than any other centerfire pistol that I have ever tried. I'm always thinking about trading pistols, but my USP will never leave my arsenal.

I haven't tried them, but the Sportsmans Guide has off-brand mags pretty cheap.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Yeah I was at Rick's place like a week ago with my ex's brother. He picked up one of the new S&W body guard 380's. I saw his USP compact 9... it's very tempting. But now I gotta come up with the cash to buy it!! :D

Top Bottom