• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have been looking for a good buy on a lever action that I can use for deer in Indiana, home defense if SHTF, and general plinking. :) After serious research I decided I wanted this one:

Marlin Model 1894 Cowboy 20" Octagon 357 Magnum, octagon barrel with Ballard type cut rifling, 10 shot magazine, 357 magnum straight grip stock. (I really wanted the 16" barrel because it would be easier to handle around the house if needed or a bit lighter in the bush, but they seemed to be very difficult to find.)

Today I stopped by:

Tomlinsons Shooting Supplies Inc
    8475 E US33 Suite G
    Churubusco, IN 46723
    info@tomlinsonshootingsupplies.com

They had a Marlin 1894C in .44 magnum. Brand new. Beautiful. Good price.

They also had a Marlin 1894 Cowboy with a 16" barrel in .357, used, at a very good price. Seems Tomlinson's has an excellent repeat customer who often buys a new piece, shoots it a bit then trades it back for something else. This piece had about 150 rounds through it. Well, that little puppy just followed me home. :rockwoot: :spend:

picture.php

I took it directly to the range at H & H Fort Wayne (yep, I can shoot pistol caliber rifles at the indoor range!). :shoot: First mag (ten rounds, Blazer 158 gr JHP .357 magnum—cheapest I could get at H & H; .38 Special was sold out), I had a 2.5" group, a bit high and right of bull's eye, at 25 yards. Not bad for these 60-yr-old eyes with the original steel sites. I put another 40 rounds through it, and the rifle proved as accurate as I am.

I discovered that this rifle will snag a bit when I work the lever. On two occasions I thought I was out of ammo, but when I checked to be sure I discovered the lever had not functioned perfectly. The cartridge was there, the lever just snagged on the way. I found that I needed to work the lever with authority for it to work properly. Lesson learned. Other than this small matter, the rifle worked perfectly. I like this one. It's a keeper.

If you are in the area, stop in to talk with the folks at Tomlinson—especially the big guy with the long beard. They know their firearms. They are willing to talk and to share their knowledge with rookies. They are willing to negotiate on their used weapons, and they have a very good selection—new and used. :cheers:

OK, nuf said.

terrance250

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Terre Haute, IN
    Very Nice!

I sold a 1894FG (.41 mag) a while back to fund my .458Socom project. One of these days I'll probably replace it with either a .357, or .44 since I'm still set up to reload those calibers.

Lever guns are fun, nice score.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Walled Lake, MI
    My wife got the 336 Marlin in 30 30 she love the rifle but I did have to take to Williams Gun Site to loosen the action. It was so tight I couldn't rack it without busting my knuckles. Granted it would loosen up over time but can't wait that long. I sat down a racked for about three hours while watching TV but was still tight. This was my second 336 my first loosen up and was silky smooth but it wasn't as hard as my second one. Nice shooter and love it. My wife also has the Henry Golden Boy in 22 mag. Love the lever guns.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I picked up a Lever Gun recently too. I got an E.M.F. Hartford Model (Rossi) in .357 stainless with a 20" barrel. The guy that had it shoots cowboy action and he'd done some action work and trigger work.

Not a great picture. The finish is just about perfect. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but I think it'll be one of my favorites.

2zjfibn.jpg

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I picked up a Lever Gun recently too. I got an E.M.F. Hartford Model (Rossi) in .357 stainless with a 20" barrel. The guy that had it shoots cowboy action and he'd done some action work and trigger work.

Not a great picture. The finish is just about perfect. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but I think it'll be one of my favorites.

2zjfibn.jpg

Nice!

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I mostly was looking at the Rossi because I wasn't too concerned with mounting a scope even though I could do a scout setup if I wanted but using as a deer rifle, most shots will be within 50 yards the places I've hunted so it really isn't needed. Really looking forward to getting it to the range.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I mostly was looking at the Rossi because I wasn't too concerned with mounting a scope even though I could do a scout setup if I wanted but using as a deer rifle, most shots will be within 50 yards the places I've hunted so it really isn't needed. Really looking forward to getting it to the range.

Looking forward to your AAR.

bamthetrashman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I got a Marlin 1894c with 18" barrel. Its not the cowboy model, but the other one with the barrel bands. The rifle is without a doubt more fun to shoot than anything else I have. It goes to the range with me everytime and its more accurate than me, thats all I can ask for.

I recently started to reload for it (had to, 357 is too expensive otherwise) and I came across a new mold that Ranch Dog Outdoors is making that is made specifically for the Marlin 1894c. Here is the link:

RD's TLC359-175-RF and the 357 Mag

I am hoping this bullet mold comes out before deer season cause I think the bullet over some lil gun will make a great deer hunting load.

If your interested, check out Marlinowners.com. Actually check them out anyways if you already haven't, its a very nice forum with lots of knowledgable people writing on there.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Congrats. I really like my 1894c in .357. They are handy little field guns and good for general purpose use. 38 special have very little recoil, though I have found they don't shoot as well as the .357. If you shoot a .38 you will need to clean the chamber. I have actually ripped the .357 cases in half upon extraction due to the fouling from the .38s. Also be careful using aluminum cased cartridges in this gun.

The buckhorn sights are kinda tough to pickup in low light. I just couldn't bring myself to put a scope on this light little gun. So I ended up installing a set of skinner peep sights. I think it was a good improvement for what is basically a brush gun.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Congrats. I really like my 1894c in .357. They are handy little field guns and good for general purpose use. 38 special have very little recoil, though I have found they don't shoot as well as the .357. If you shoot a .38 you will need to clean the chamber. I have actually ripped the .357 cases in half upon extraction due to the fouling from the .38s. Also be careful using aluminum cased cartridges in this gun.

The buckhorn sights are kinda tough to pickup in low light. I just couldn't bring myself to put a scope on this light little gun. So I ended up installing a set of skinner peep sights. I think it was a good improvement for what is basically a brush gun.

I am really hesitant to put a scope on this for just the reasons you mention. The skinner peep sights is a good idea. I will check it out.

I will be showing off this rifle to my brother in North Carolina next week. I bought .38 Specials for the range session. I want to compare them to the .357 I used last weekend. Gonna be a good time.:rockwoot:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I am really hesitant to put a scope on this for just the reasons you mention. The skinner peep sights is a good idea. I will check it out.

I will be showing off this rifle to my brother in North Carolina next week. I bought .38 Specials for the range session. I want to compare them to the .357 I used last weekend. Gonna be a good time.:rockwoot:

If you go with the skinner sights you will need to order a taller front sight as well. Then simply file the sight down. I mention this because I tried using the factory front sight and it did not work. Ended up costing me double shipping. I also ended up removing the factory rear sight to get it out of the way. Midway USA sells blanks to fill the dovetail.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I got the Marlin Cowboy in .44 thinking I'd scope it, but then when I got it it was so beautiful I really didn't want to. Unfortunately, I'm blind in one eye and can't see out of the other, so acceptable accuracy was all I could do at 100 yards with the iron sights, and I'm too a.r. for that. I did end up scoping it with an old 4 power I had laying around. Turned 'er into a deer killing machine. Wow.
    Have fun with that .357 and please post up some targets. We'd like to see what kind of accuracy you can muster up at range.
    Good thread!

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    AAR on my second trip to the range with the Marlin 1894 .357. This was at a range in North Carolina.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

These are the targets in the order I shot them. :) I conclude the gun is accurate, and I need more practice! This will be a lot more fun than practicing the piano! Won't need momma to threaten a whupping to get me to practice on this!:D

Top Bottom