• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tebow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Whiting, IN
    Good luck to you and thanks for serving. It's difficult to believe that it's been almost 22 years since I got on an airplane bound for Ft Sill and basic training. The post is beautiful, one of the nicest I've seen but do yourself a favor and stay out of Lawton. You'll be itching to get away from the Army for a but when you get your first pass but there is nothing, and I mean nothing good going on in Lawton, Oklahoma lol.

Thanks for the advice. Could you go a little more in detail about Lawton? By nothing good, do you mean it's a quiet town? It can't be worse than Whiting.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Thanks for the advice. Could you go a little more in detail about Lawton? By nothing good, do you mean it's a quiet town? It can't be worse than Whiting.

Im sure there are things to do, just none that will keep you out of trouble. Strip clubs, liqueur stores, pawn shops, and of course all the stores that sell GI Stuff, usually pawned. Just make sure you dont do nothing too bad there and get yourself in trouble or demoted before you even get rank.

Tebow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Whiting, IN
    Im sure there are things to do, just none that will keep you out of trouble. Strip clubs, liqueur stores, pawn shops, and of course all the stores that sell GI Stuff, usually pawned. Just make sure you dont do nothing too bad there and get yourself in trouble or demoted before you even get rank.

Oh I see. Well I don't go to strip clubs and don't drink. Don't worry, I've never been in trouble with the law, not even a speeding ticket. :D I've always just avoided it.

Tebow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Whiting, IN
    Why join the military if you don't go to bars and strip joints?
    Don't be stupid about it, that's all.

Because I felt the need to join and serve my country. Am I supposed to do go to bars and strip clubs? I chose not to. I don't like being around people when they're drunk. I never had a beer in my life, don't plan on having one ever. So no point for me.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Because I felt the need to join and serve my country. Am I supposed to do go to bars and strip clubs? I chose not to. I don't like being around people when they're drunk. I never had a beer in my life, don't plan on having one ever. So no point for me.

Tebow, thats my brother, he was just messing with you about it. Good on you if you dont drink. More people need to have that sober friend, especially in today's military, going to be getting back to zero mistakes again soon. You will be saving careers and lives by not. Hes a former Nuc on a Sub,

Tebow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Whiting, IN
    Tebow, thats my brother, he was just messing with you about it. Good on you if you dont drink. More people need to have that sober friend, especially in today's military, going to be getting back to zero mistakes again soon. You will be saving careers and lives by not. Hes a former Nuc on a Sub,

Ahh I gotcha. That's what I've been. The times I was around people drinking in high school, I made sure people got home safely, not drive home and do stupid things.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Congratulations young man. My son made the same choice in December of 2010. He did a split-option so he went to BCT last summer and will do AIT at Ft. Leonard Wood this summer. He is in ROTC at ISU as we speak. Take every advantage of additional schooling and training that you can get.

My son loved BCT and did well at it. It's mostly mental if you show up in good shape. Oh by the way, even if you show up with that haircut (he did the same), you will still be charged at induction for a haircut. They will still sit you in the chair and run the clippers over your head.

Dirty Steve

Haymaker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Jennings County
    Congratulations! It sounds like you've got a good head on your shoulders and can go far. I've got some family members who enlisted, did their 20 and retired. Thank you for your service!!!

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Oh by the way, even if you show up with that haircut (he did the same), you will still be charged at induction for a haircut. They will still sit you in the chair and run the clippers over your head.

Dirty Steve

How true, we got the trainees their own clippers to use to save them money but the barbershop tracks when you were there last and called and complained and got us in trouble. We had to start taking them back to the barbershop after that.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Congrats! As many others have said, one of the best decisions I made early on was joining the Army.

I have a son in AIT at Fort Sam Houston, so if you have any questions, let me know.

Regardless of what your recruiter tells you, take your cell phone and charger. Calls home are used as motivation these days.

Couple of things my son observed of others during Basic. BE IN SHAPE! Too many people in his company went there and could not pass the mininum PT standard... there is no excuse for this. Pushups, situp and run, everyone knows they have to do it, so start working on it now. Instead of trying to scrape by, but in the running for Top PT scores, it might earn you a promotion.

Stay away from turds. Turds are those looking out only for themselves. They try sneaking food in the barracks, or smokes or beat the system. Drill sergeants have seen it all, they know where turds try to hide contraband. Stay away from turds!

Find good "battles". Battles are battle buddies, small groups that work together that try to make the whole group better. These are the top performers and generally set the example. It doesn't matter what your MOS is or if you are Active Duty, Reserve and National Guard, you are all in it together.

The week before you leave, don't work out. Get more sleep that you've ever had. My poor son was so amped up to go, that he couldn't sleep for 2 days before he left and got to reception and had a seisure. They put in him the hospital over night and he slept for 24 hours. Lucky for him, he was able to start BCT with no problems.

If your family isn't on Facebook, get them there. Most basic training units set up pages so family can follow along. Cadre will post pics/videos as you go through, and families talk to each other alot for support. There are normally a lot of vets who help those who've never been around the military. I probably spent an hour each night just answering basic questions.

Most important thing about Basic.... HAVE FUN!! MY son loved it, treated it like it was football camp and had a blast. It's all in how you look at things.

Udderchaos

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    NW Indy
    Congratulations.

I'll only repeat what others have said. Boot Camp is just to weed out the people that can't get through the mind games. Some of those other Boot Campers will be hilarious. Others will make you shake your head in bewilderment. Keep your stuff straight, and have fun.

Tebow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Whiting, IN
    Congrats! As many others have said, one of the best decisions I made early on was joining the Army.

I have a son in AIT at Fort Sam Houston, so if you have any questions, let me know.

Regardless of what your recruiter tells you, take your cell phone and charger. Calls home are used as motivation these days.

Couple of things my son observed of others during Basic. BE IN SHAPE! Too many people in his company went there and could not pass the mininum PT standard... there is no excuse for this. Pushups, situp and run, everyone knows they have to do it, so start working on it now. Instead of trying to scrape by, but in the running for Top PT scores, it might earn you a promotion.

Stay away from turds. Turds are those looking out only for themselves. They try sneaking food in the barracks, or smokes or beat the system. Drill sergeants have seen it all, they know where turds try to hide contraband. Stay away from turds!

Find good "battles". Battles are battle buddies, small groups that work together that try to make the whole group better. These are the top performers and generally set the example. It doesn't matter what your MOS is or if you are Active Duty, Reserve and National Guard, you are all in it together.

The week before you leave, don't work out. Get more sleep that you've ever had. My poor son was so amped up to go, that he couldn't sleep for 2 days before he left and got to reception and had a seisure. They put in him the hospital over night and he slept for 24 hours. Lucky for him, he was able to start BCT with no problems.

If your family isn't on Facebook, get them there. Most basic training units set up pages so family can follow along. Cadre will post pics/videos as you go through, and families talk to each other alot for support. There are normally a lot of vets who help those who've never been around the military. I probably spent an hour each night just answering basic questions.

Most important thing about Basic.... HAVE FUN!! MY son loved it, treated it like it was football camp and had a blast. It's all in how you look at things.

Thanks for the advice! I'm planning on going there in shape. I don't want to be "that guy" that is totally out of shape.

Top Bottom