• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ccityguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2014
    Columbia City
    So my first post is a little bit of a rant. Sorry.

I was in Dunhams in Columbia city this weekend. They had 16 50 rd boxes of Remington Thunderbolt .22. I grabbed the 4 boxes that I am allowed and felt good about finding some since I am getting low.:rockwoot:

Problem was one of the two guys that were next to me. Once guy grabs his 4 boxes and moves along, the other guy grabs eight boxes. Odd, since you are only allowed the max of 4. At the register he manages to convince the clerk that he is buying for his friend also.

So my problem is this, if his friend wanted ammo, he should have gotten up and got his rear over there himself. If someone asks me to get them ammo when I am out and about, I will either say no or split what I find. I dunno, rubbed me the wrong way.

On a sidenote, I have a buddy that works at the Columbia City walmart and we marked 9 500 round boxes of Federal that came in a little over a month ago. Guess what, 5 out of the 8 were on an online auction site before the end of the day at 3-4 times the price they paid for them.

I know, free market, I get it. Someone desperate enough will pay for it. Just bugs me. But, since 9mm is only about 4-5 cents more per round more based on ammoseek and such, I have started shooting my 9mm's more and it has actually forced me to get better at handling my other firearms. Maybe this is a blessing in disguise.

Once again, sorry to have a first post rant.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Yeah, it's frustrating and many of us understand what you are feeling. Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done. However, I probably would have asked the manager of the store to stick with their policy or just remove it.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    I probably would have asked the manager of the store to stick with their policy or just remove it.
    :+1:

I've seen it a few times and I'll admit that I've asked my wife to to come over just to help me buy ammo. When the clerk hears me make the call, some of them will give me the ammo that she was coming to buy for me so she isn't "hassled" by coming over to the shop.

ccityguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2014
    Columbia City
    I have also had the wife there to buy her allowance of ammo when she is there with me, this was back in the dark days of early 2013.

I have throttled way back in my ammo hunting excursions. I have a small amount, around 4500 rounds of .22, about half of which I have been sitting on for a couple years now. I go out looking once every couple of weeks or so instead of every couple days now. I shoot mostly in the warmer months so I don't go through like some folks so its plenty for me. (Anyone else notice how hard it is to define "plenty", lol).

All that to say, I hope the perceived need subsides a bit. Being in the shooting sports off and on for the last 25 years, I don't ever remember it being quite this bad with the flippers and such. Maybe, as I have gotten older, I just notice it more.

Is what it is though. Just wanted to vent a bit. Thanks for tolerating.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So my first post is a little bit of a rant. Sorry.

I was in Dunhams in Columbia city this weekend. They had 16 50 rd boxes of Remington Thunderbolt .22. I grabbed the 4 boxes that I am allowed and felt good about finding some since I am getting low.:rockwoot:

Problem was one of the two guys that were next to me. Once guy grabs his 4 boxes and moves along, the other guy grabs eight boxes. Odd, since you are only allowed the max of 4. At the register he manages to convince the clerk that he is buying for his friend also.

So my problem is this, if his friend wanted ammo, he should have gotten up and got his rear over there himself. If someone asks me to get them ammo when I am out and about, I will either say no or split what I find. I dunno, rubbed me the wrong way.

On a sidenote, I have a buddy that works at the Columbia City walmart and we marked 9 500 round boxes of Federal that came in a little over a month ago. Guess what, 5 out of the 8 were on an online auction site before the end of the day at 3-4 times the price they paid for them.

I know, free market, I get it. Someone desperate enough will pay for it. Just bugs me. But, since 9mm is only about 4-5 cents more per round more based on ammoseek and such, I have started shooting my 9mm's more and it has actually forced me to get better at handling my other firearms. Maybe this is a blessing in disguise.

Once again, sorry to have a first post rant.

Bet you a sack of sliders they are on line for sale as we post.........:(

nater30/30

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2013
    Grant County
    But ya know, this whole God awful experience will sure be a positive on a lot of us, if it ever blows over fully...when back in abundance, I bet most of us won't take them for granted, make every shot count and learn all we can from every trigger pull.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    But ya know, this whole God awful experience will sure be a positive on a lot of us, if it ever blows over fully...when back in abundance, I bet most of us won't take them for granted, make every shot count and learn all we can from every trigger pull.
    I'll bet you it's the same people here crying during the next shortage.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana

Nope, I'll still want to blast away 12,000 rounds of 22 a year like I usually do. But with all this pointless buying and wiping out of the 22 supply, it's going to take a hell of a long time for it to blow over. Just think, 3 years from now when 22 still isn't available as it was pre Sandy Hook, we can have all new wonderful threads about still not being able to find ammo

Then when the government makes their usual ammo purchase every 5 years or so, people will wipe out the 22 supply again.

I'll bet you it's the same people here crying during the next shortage.

Na, those are the people that are going to make 22 hard to find for a while. They're the ones who are going to be buying whether they need it or not because "the won't be caught off guard" for the next shortage and the zombie squirrel apocalypse.

We'll have a whole new batch of members complaining about not being able to find the most popular caliber in America

nater30/30

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2013
    Grant County
    Nope, I'll still want to blast away 12,000 rounds of 22 a year like I usually do. But with all this pointless buying and wiping out of the 22 supply, it's going to take a hell of a long time for it to blow over. Just think, 3 years from now when 22 still isn't available as it was pre Sandy Hook, we can have all new wonderful threads about still not being able to find ammo

Then when the government makes their usual ammo purchase every 5 years or so, people will wipe out the 22 supply again.

Na, those are the people that are going to make 22 hard to find for a while. They're the ones who are going to be buying whether they need it or not because "the won't be caught off guard" for the next shortage and the zombie squirrel apocalypse.

We'll have a whole new batch of members complaining about not being able to find the most popular caliber in America
    Idk...it's sorta givin' me the discipline I had as a youngster that would save his lunch money to buy a brick, I appreciated them rounds more, and was a lot more conservative with them than with the Xmas bricks.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Or the ammo manufactures(or retailers) will get wise, and start marking the 22 ammo up even more, to the levels that the flippers are selling it for. Probably wont have such an issue buying ammo for your plinkers at the store like we always have then.

I still have a small amount of 22 at my disposal, and still shoot it, though I have cut back to conserve a bit. I switched to the bolt gun instead of my semi-auto, and dont spend time weekly like I used to working on my trigger and breathing skills with the little rifle. I have GIVEN a box away here and there to close friends that arent avid shooters, and had no clue that it was as difficult to lay hands on as it is, instead of seeing them have to give in to the flippers on the internet and fuel the fire.

nater30/30

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2013
    Grant County
    I have GIVEN a box away here and there to close friends that arent avid shooters, and had no clue that it was as difficult to lay hands on as it is, instead of seeing them have to give in to the flippers on the internet and fuel the fire.
    I did too, early last year in the heat of the madness. I cleaned up and went over a nice Marlin 70, I acquired in a trade, and gave it to my father in law, cause he didn't have a rifle, and a bunch of ammo...it that time the ammo was worth a heck of a lot more than the rifle. I wouldn't have sent a poor inexperienced buyer out there, among the wolves, to get a box of .22 lol.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    Or the ammo manufactures(or retailers) will get wise, and start marking the 22 ammo up even more, to the levels that the flippers are selling it for. Probably wont have such an issue buying ammo for your plinkers at the store like we always have then.

^^This, this, this, a thousand times, this^^ The free market dictates that price should be a balance of supply and demand. I have yet to hear a good explanation why the suppliers haven't raised prices to try to slow demand.

Then again, the same people who complain about not having any .22 to buy will complain about how the suppliers are trying to gouge us. We are our own worst enemy sometimes...

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    I'm not buying this. Not that people would scam the system, but that you actually saw .22 in the stores. I haven't seen it in so long I'm beginning to think I just made that caliber up in my head.

Roscoe38

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    My LGS usually has Aguila for $5.50 per 50. A little steep but for premium stuff that amounts to a lot of tree rats.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    My LGS usually has Aguila for $5.50 per 50. A little steep but for premium stuff that amounts to a lot of tree rats.

Not saying its terrible, but Aguila is not exactly what I would call premium ammo. It wasnt too long ago that $5.50/box was Elley territory, not Mexican imported stuff.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Not saying its terrible, but Aguila is not exactly what I would call premium ammo. It wasnt too long ago that $5.50/box was Elley territory, not Mexican imported stuff.

Aguila is Eley primed.

So it's Mexican Premium instead of English Premium

Still, specialty rounds like the 60gr Sniper Supsonics, Super Maximum Velocity, Colibri, Super Colibri have been more than standard 22 LR for a while now. and Aguila does make match ammo.

Aguila still stinks like ass when you shoot it, but it's another case of not all 22 is created equal

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Aguila is Eley primed.

So it's Mexican Premium instead of English Premium

Still, specialty rounds like the 60gr Sniper Supsonics, Super Maximum Velocity, Colibri, Super Colibri have been more than standard 22 LR for a while now. and Aguila does make match ammo.

Aguila still stinks like ass when you shoot it, but it's another case of not all 22 is created equal

Just a small part of ammo quality is priming. Something I have learned over the years is that 22 is 22, depending on what gun you are shooting as to how well a certain ammo will perform. I have a Marlin bolt gun that absolutely LOVES Aguila standard velocity ammo. I have tried Eley, Federal, Remington, Winchester, CCI, ect in many different guns. Some like the expensive stuff, others are GtG with whatever you feed them. I have an old Marlin 75C that eats the Remington golden bullets like candy, and will put a bullet through a squirrels eye at 50 yards, but then I also have a buckmark that will cycle with it, but looks like a coach gun pattern at short range instead of grouping with it, while making me look like an expert when fed Federal bulk pack ammo. The one constant that all of my 22s have in common, they wont shoot Eley worth a crap. Tried 2-3 different types, just as a curiosity, and not a one will group with it.

And yes, just so you know I agree with you, Aguila does smell worse than just about anything I have ever shot before. I would rather smell BP substitute than the funk that comes from that ammo, lol.

Top Bottom