I see more hunter orange in our future..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    It must be the inbreeding.... HTF do you mistake a man for a squirrel?!?!
    Ever watch Wizard of OZ and those freaking flying monkies. If I see a hunter in a tree and I even think I see wings on him, I am shooting. After the fact, I am sure I would say I thought I saw a squirrel or wood duck.

I didn't read the article, I am assuming the deer hunter was in a tree? I will check now.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    and yet somebody did make that very mistake.

I have climbed down from a stand due to bullets whizzing past. I was on private property and the shooters were the ongoing poacher problem.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Kids shooting at something they had not identified. Unwise failure to observe one of the four basic rules—know your target and what is beyond it.

I expect we will hear calls for restricting firearms to kids over the age of 21 now (I know, but ware all kids at heart when we see the squirrel or deer wave that tail). We let them drive our two-ton, $10,000 pick up trucks and automobiles. Not much different than letting them carry rifle. The remedy is training. The boy knew better. Just did not think carefully. Better training will help, but only experience and judgement would have prevented this incident.

Praying for safe recovery. Hope the kids has resources to cover the expenses. Be a serious shame if the deer hunter had to cover his own bills.

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    Number One: OBEY THE FOUR RULES, always and EVERY TIME you handle a firearm.

Number Two: buy your kids a set of binoculars and drill home how important it is to use them. That way they can tell the difference between a squirrel and bow hunter.

I was at Tri-County yesterday afternoon, hunting squirrels in Section A-2. Heard sirens for about 20-30 minutes, first police sirens then fire dept. sirens.

Wondered what the heck was going on. Hope Mr. Wogoman is ok. I've had bow hunters identify themselves while I was ground hunting too... smart thing to do IF you see the guys on the ground. Might not have been the case here.

Also heard a guy calling for his lost dog 'Lucky' yesterday for about an hour and the sound of just about everyone in the county sighting in their deer rifles for next weekend. It was a noisy afternoon.

Got two squirrels though. Missed a 'gimme' on a third before leaving. All were harvested on the ground like expected this time of year.

fullauto 45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Dec 27, 2008
    SE Indy
    I had an Uncle who was shot back in the late 70's that way. Dumb-ass was "hunting" squirrels and my Uncle had a orange vest on sitting in a tree. Lucky he was a big guy with lots of heavy clothes on then. The guy turned out to have been drinking and told the cop he saw a squirrel. Cop asked him when was the last time you saw a f'n 250 pound squirrel wearing orange? He went to jail for a while. My Uncle just had a few bruises on his chest. Damn lucky. And he did not fall out of the tree.

sonofagun

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2011
    Bedford, IN
    I hunt both squirrel and deer. There are some "mistakes" you just don't make. The four rules of shooting? "Be sure of your target and what is beyond it."

I was introduced to hunting when I was 16 years old by a buddy of mine.

I and another buddy showed up at his mom's farm. I was using a .410 shotgun that my buddy loaned me to hunt quail.

My introduction to the firearm was that my buddy showed me how to load it and to shoot it. That was it.

We shot at everything that moved that day. Even evaded the local game warden.

Point is, the kids may not have had a proper introduction to firearm handling and/or hunting.

Edit: That was my last hunting trip. USMC provided the rest of my firearms training.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Lets consider the feelings of the shooter. Right now he is thinking, "damn, I almost had the biggest squirrel ever." Seriously though, I thought I might be safer (from stupid bipeds with guns) hunting during the early archery season but maybe I was wrong, lol.

Lightfoot Slim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    I passed up shots at a squirrel twice yesterday because it was on a limb 4ft above ground & there was no back stop. I worked my way around so there was a big tree behind the squirrel so I could take the shot safely.

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    ive been at wilbur wright and ran into many hunters that werent wearing any orange. one i distinctly remember was walking the old train tracks that run through there and came across a guy standing next to a tree with a shotgun looking up the whole time completely oblivious to my presence. and i bet if i startled him he would have swung his shotgun around at me. hunter orange is really nice to have, and required BY LAW to wear orange while deer hunting, but not while squirrel hunting even though the seasons coincide each other

Top Bottom