Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    There's an easy solution ...

maxresdefault.jpg

Go back and try it!

Like others have said those alarms have nothing to do with guns.
    I would just ignore them.It happened to me a few times and I just told the store employees I didn't have time to deal with their crap when they wanted to stop me.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Retailers are too cheap to spend money on gun detectors. I guarantee you had a soft tag hidden somewhere on your body that hadn't been deactivated.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Just for giggles, next time you go into a walmart and it goes off, ask the greeter to wand you. they have handheld wands to figure out what didnt get deactivated. with that wand they will be able to find out exactly where it is at just like an airport screener can find the metal (or those two rivets in your jeans :): ) with a wand.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    All of the very useful suggestions are much appreciated. Just seemed odd to me as I have carried in both of those stores in the recent past with no alarms.

BTW when they give you that implant they do tell you it is guaranteed not to trip any alarms. Guess they lied about that too. You can't trust anyone anymore.

Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville
    Some security tags are actually built into some shoes. We had a gentleman that constantly set off the alarms at Lowes. We knew he wasn't stealing as he set them off coming in & going. He'd practically strip, he so wanted to figure this out. Dead of summer, no place to have anything stuffed anywhere .(well , almost) Still would set off the alarms. Finally he mentioned, recently purchasing his shoes at Walmart . Out of a whim, we had him raise each shoe over the deactivator and that fixed it. He couldn't believe it cause they supposedly deactivated during the sale.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Just to clarify... those sensors at the door are either Near Field Communication devices or Proximity readers. Here is how they work to hopefully help it make sense.

If you have ever looked closely at those square theft tags, you may have noticed something... a spiral of lines. That is the antenna that collects energy to drive the transmitter. Those towers at the exits are giant electromagnets basically... they create a magnetic field of sorts. That magnetic field is picked up by the tag and the energy is collected and converted to electricity. That juice powers the circuit that wakes up and transmits a weak signal. the towers pick up that signal and send an alarm.

When the cashier passes the anti theft tag over a special powerful magnet at the register, the tags are deactivated by the magnet drawing a shorting bar across the circuit disabling it, preventing it from working any more.

Not sure why not all stores beep. I thought all of the stores use the same tech since vendors like Gillette for example will put their tags in the blade packs. Maybe they customize the tags based on which retailer they are shipped to? :dunno:

Do you have an electronic keycard for getting into your office building? Similar tech. The card has the same inductive antenna, but it has a unique code it transmits when energized. When that code is detected by the reader, it unlocks the door. (provided your card was granted access to that door)

Hope that helps.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Just to clarify... those sensors at the door are either Near Field Communication devices or Proximity readers. Here is how they work to hopefully help it make sense.

If you have ever looked closely at those square theft tags, you may have noticed something... a spiral of lines. That is the antenna that collects energy to drive the transmitter. Those towers at the exits are giant electromagnets basically... they create a magnetic field of sorts. That magnetic field is picked up by the tag and the energy is collected and converted to electricity. That juice powers the circuit that wakes up and transmits a weak signal. the towers pick up that signal and send an alarm.

When the cashier passes the anti theft tag over a special powerful magnet at the register, the tags are deactivated by the magnet drawing a shorting bar across the circuit disabling it, preventing it from working any more.

Not sure why not all stores beep. I thought all of the stores use the same tech since vendors like Gillette for example will put their tags in the blade packs. Maybe they customize the tags based on which retailer they are shipped to? :dunno:

Do you have an electronic keycard for getting into your office building? Similar tech. The card has the same inductive antenna, but it has a unique code it transmits when energized. When that code is detected by the reader, it unlocks the door. (provided your card was granted access to that door)

Hope that helps.

Very interesting. Learned something new and all that. Thanks for the details.

Now I want to get some tags and randomly place them on people to see what happens. Keep the greeters busy so they stop checking the receipt for my beer.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    In my younger years, those things would startle me into shopping and invoke my sense of "proving my innocence". Now, I just keep walking.

tlandon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 13, 2014
    USA
    Classic : I really like your Avatar. That car has always been my favorite Indy Car. I remember having a plastic toy car like that when I was young. In 1999 I worked on a Indy Car team and our garage was part of AJ Watsons old complex in Pittsboro. I used to talk to him all the time. Really cool guy. He use to fire up ole Offenhausers on his dyno. He's also got a storage garage full of the coolest cars and Indy stuff in exsistence. While I was there he was restoring a 6 wheel Indy Car from the 60's maybe. Sorry for the off topic but had to say something.

gummergif

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2015
    REDACTED
    Whenever I've set off one of those things, I just stop, turn to the greeter, and ask if the need to frisk me.

Also helps to smile and wink. Maybe lick your lips a little.

For some reason, they always just send me on through.

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    I also had some boots with the tag someplace inside the shoe & would set them off. I think it was Meijer that told me they were inside the shoe and you can't get to them & turned them off.

My wife brought some stuff at the mall and they didn't remove the larger plastic tags. She was home before she found out, we went back to the mall & when we walked into Dicks we set it off, told the guy & showed him what it was and walked through the store and before we walked out we told a worker at that door (into the mall) what was going on & that we would set off the alarm. It didn't go off. We also didn't set it off when we walked into the store she got the stuff from.
    They removed the tags and started checking there alarm.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    If I find one, I stick it in the ol lady's purse for laughs, but you can always just tape one tag to the underside of any shopping cart handle for everybody to enjoy.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Very interesting. Learned something new and all that. Thanks for the details.

Now I want to get some tags and randomly place them on people to see what happens. Keep the greeters busy so they stop checking the receipt for my beer.

I heard of an LEO doing that to a co-worker. They took one of the tags and stuck it in the "glock hole" in the grip....

If I find one, I stick it in the ol lady's purse for laughs, but you can always just tape one tag to the underside of any shopping cart handle for everybody to enjoy.

I like the shopping cart idea.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Some security tags are actually built into some shoes. We had a gentleman that constantly set off the alarms at Lowes. We knew he wasn't stealing as he set them off coming in & going. He'd practically strip, he so wanted to figure this out. Dead of summer, no place to have anything stuffed anywhere .(well , almost) Still would set off the alarms. Finally he mentioned, recently purchasing his shoes at Walmart . Out of a whim, we had him raise each shoe over the deactivator and that fixed it. He couldn't believe it cause they supposedly deactivated during the sale.

I've had a pair of work boots for about 7 or 8 years that still set off alarms. I never even break stride.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Wallets, state troopers, and 5 year old girls have been mentioned. Why not the boner drone? It may be possible that when a boner drone homes in on an individual as they pass through the detectors, it could set them off. I recommend full-body aluminum foil.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    If you work with a bunch of jerks like I do, one might be hidden on you somewhere. Not that I would have ever done that to someone... because that would be wrong. Funny but so very wrong.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I figured out what was causing it to go off. It was a retail RF tag. It was the one thing I had in my pocket that day. I have now separated the tag from the package and I'm taking it with me next trip to Tractor Supply for testing. Interesting info in this thread anyway.

Top Bottom