• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aronhubbard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Greenfield, IN
    I use a slingshot with custom scored and tapped hollow point steel bb's. You don't want those suckers to over penetrate.

Seriously though, this all sounds like clever rules lawyering to me. Pick the best defense round you personally believe in and carry that. I'd think that any kind of exotic staggering or "candy striping" or whatever is going to make you look like the sort of doofus that sits around in advance planning on how best to kill someone and make it look righteous. Whether or not that would come into play if you were in court for a shooting, I don't know.

Htrailblazer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Franklin
    One reasoning I have heard is " JHP wont go through a car window and still hit the target with enough force to stop it" I dont know if that is true or not, but if someone was trying to run you over with a car I would want something to be able to go through the windshield. That being said all I carry is JHP

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I cannot explain exactly why, But I have seen semi autos having jam up problems when two different types of ammo were used. I would make sure the pistol is reliable with that mix.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    I cannot explain exactly why, But I have seen semi autos having jam up problems when two different types of ammo were used. I would make sure the pistol is reliable with that mix.

Indeed. Always validate what you carry. It never makes any sense to carry a round or mix of rounds you haven't proven out. Just as it makes no sense to carry a gun you have never tested.
    We should never hear "I'm carrying my new ________. I can't wait until I get to the range next week and try it out"

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I only stagger for function/feed tests. I would never condone using FMJ in a defensive pistol due to potential over penetration or missed shots. I'm a decent shot, but I would probably miss as well.

grizman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Home
    One reasoning I have heard is " JHP wont go through a car window and still hit the target with enough force to stop it" I dont know if that is true or not, but if someone was trying to run you over with a car I would want something to be able to go through the windshield. That being said all I carry is JHP

Really, hollow points have problems with WS glass and remaining effective?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kptr5OOLOHk[/ame]

ignore the nasty finger nails! if you can! Anyone think a 40 S&W or a 357 SIG can hit that hard after punching a windsheild? I doubt it.

Last edited:

jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    I carry a extra mag, in the extra mag i carry FMJ and in the mag in the gun i carry JHP and honestly part of the reason is the cost of JHP and the other is if i go to a friends house and he wants to shoot i can pop in my FMJ magazine so i dont waste my expensive FMJ's lol

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    I stagger all of my rounds................chest, head, chest, head, chest, head, chest, headchest, head, chest, headchest, head, chest, headchest, head, chest, headchest, head, chest, headchest, head, chest, headchest, head, chest, headchest, head, chest, headchest, head, chest, headchest, head, chest, head

Tactical Flannel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    West Central Indiana
    Some interesting thoughts I've seen so far....
    I personally carry two magazines of 40S&W Federal HST.
    The hollow points maybe a bit expensive compared to fmj but what is my life or my families worth?
    The HST have a proven track record of expansion without over penetration. In my experiences I've found them to be a consistent performer. But then most modern hollow points are consistent performers today.

Stay safe

mkbar80

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    I recently read a post you by Kyle Defoor where he states that he does this exact thing with his pistol ammo. Granted that his purposes for carrying a pistol as a special operations soldier are much different than mine (I would never carry fmj as sd/hd ammo for all of the overpenetration reasons stated previously). But it seems that some people who make a living killing people with guns find great value in staggering ball/hp.

An aside...he made recommendations on rounds to use based on similar poa/poi properties. Wish I could find it....i think on M4C or his website.

Top Bottom