• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    in the gun range of you know who's in Valpo.....

WTF is the deal with indoor ranges around here? They ALL suck. Dark as all hell, was about 96* in there today. I will never go to a indoor range around here again

What is so hard about making a nice range thats well lit and AC'd?

Sure I can go down to the farm and throw rounds down range all day, but I'm trying to escape the heat. . .

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Going through the aggravation of building a range is a big challenge, not to mention the cost. That aside, if a super range were opened in NWI, I think they would do very well.

Davegrave

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 16, 2011
    Hammond, IN
    in the gun range of you know who's in Valpo.....

WTF is the deal with indoor ranges around here? They ALL suck. Dark as all hell, was about 96* in there today. I will never go to a indoor range around here again

What is so hard about making a nice range thats well lit and AC'd?

Sure I can go down to the farm and throw rounds down range all day, but I'm trying to escape the heat. . .

When I started going there it was much nicer. I went in Feb or March with my dad and we had to keep our coats on. All the target carriages suck. I kept losing targets or getting it halfway out and having it get stuck.

Debs sucks too. They just made some minor improvements. But I just know I get a little cancer every time I go. I can just taste the shooting for 6-8 hours after I go. And it's dark as hell.

I was so sad when Rangemasters closed in Chesterton or Valpo. What a great range. Full auto rentals. Clean, bright, temp controlled. The backstop had a waterfall to keep lead dust down. It was fantastic. Then one day I brought a girl I was dating and it was just closed down.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    man Ive never been to an indoor range, but if it was just as hot/cold as it was outside, then whats the point?

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    man Ive never been to an indoor range, but if it was just as hot/cold as it was outside, then whats the point?

What do you think I would willingly go into a range that I KNEW was going to be hotter than it was outside???

Only reason I went was to burn up a free pass I had. First and last time there.... I told the clerks at the gas station next door I woulda rather burned the pass for heat in the winter....

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    ...What is so hard about making a nice range thats well lit and AC'd?

It's my understanding that the bullet traps need to be somewhat open to the outside for some reason. I'm not sure about this, it's just what I have been told. :twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

insanemonkey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Lake County
    I would love a nicer range in Porter or Lake county. I guess though the best way to make the ranges in place already better, is to support them and talk to the staff about improving it. I have tried Willow-Slough and it is nice. The two problems with it are the drive and the fact they only have 25 yard pistol. I am a new to handguns shooter and 25 yards is way above what I can handle and enjoy.

Davegrave

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 16, 2011
    Hammond, IN
    I would love a nicer range in Porter or Lake county. I guess though the best way to make the ranges in place already better, is to support them and talk to the staff about improving it. I have tried Willow-Slough and it is nice. The two problems with it are the drive and the fact they only have 25 yard pistol. I am a new to handguns shooter and 25 yards is way above what I can handle and enjoy.

I'm with ya man. 25yds is a far shot with a handgun. I always see people posting pictures of 3" groups at 25 yards with their pistol. I don't understand how its possible. My sights cover 90% of the target at that distance. And I mean a big target. I always think they're BS'ing or they mean 25 feet but say yards due to ignorance. Or maybe I'm just a terrible shot. :rofl:

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm with ya man. 25yds is a far shot with a handgun. I always see people posting pictures of 3" groups at 25 yards with their pistol. I don't understand how its possible. My sights cover 90% of the target at that distance. And I mean a big target. I always think they're BS'ing or they mean 25 feet but say yards due to ignorance. Or maybe I'm just a terrible shot. :rofl:

you've obviously never met my uncle. he sights in his hunting sidearm at 75 yds... granted its basically a pistol grip rifle. I think its the longest you can legally still have a pistol. and its bolt-action.

Bang-bang

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Indy/Homeplace/Carmel
    When I started going there it was much nicer. I went in Feb or March with my dad and we had to keep our coats on. All the target carriages suck. I kept losing targets or getting it halfway out and having it get stuck.

Debs sucks too. They just made some minor improvements. But I just know I get a little cancer every time I go. I can just taste the shooting for 6-8 hours after I go. And it's dark as hell.

I was so sad when Rangemasters closed in Chesterton or Valpo. What a great range. Full auto rentals. Clean, bright, temp controlled. The backstop had a waterfall to keep lead dust down. It was fantastic. Then one day I brought a girl I was dating and it was just closed down.
    Use white tissue at the range and wipe your face and mouth and nose to see the gun power. If your see lots , leave that range, it's not enough venting! :(

insanemonkey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Lake County

I used 8 1/2 by 11 sheets of paper with 4 inch red dots on them. I was able to put a lot of shots on the paper, but it looked like a shotgun. I know I have a lot of trouble with trigger control and I have a lot of work to do before I am ready to shoot at that distance.

Davegrave

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 16, 2011
    Hammond, IN
    you've obviously never met my uncle. he sights in his hunting sidearm at 75 yds... granted its basically a pistol grip rifle. I think its the longest you can legally still have a pistol. and its bolt-action.

I guess my eyes just suck. Even from a bench, my sights just cover too much of the target at that kind of distance to consistently be aimed in the exact same spot to end up with any kind of "grouping" I don't think it's a skill I'd ever be capable of.

JamesZX1100

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    NE INDY
    Wow! I would've much rather just went out to the farm or something for my Target practice! You can always put up a little canopy and set up a Target! Well, at least you would have some sort of breeze, instead of being in a 96 degree building!!

Top Bottom