• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigshep

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    New Albany
    So I was in my favorite LGS the other day with a friend of mine. He was looking in the case and seen one he liked the looks of (he's not a gun guy). Looked at it myself and said that I liked the looks of it, but not the caliber. It was a .40. Said that I didn't like the caliber (Not saying its a bad round, just don't like it for some reason) and would rather have a .357 than .40. Well this other random guy started in like I just told him to go screw himself.

His words were "Well, why not? A .357 is just over-penetration. Shoot someone with that and they're just gonna keep coming after you. The .40 does the same thing as a .45 when you shoot someone with it." The only thing I got in was "Well, I like .45." He cut me off and kept on going on about how great the .40 was about the time I started ignoring him and started looking at the 1911s.

I'd put money on it that he carries a .40, lol. I'm still wondering what made him go off like that. It wasn't in a conversational tone either. Sounded like he was just about to the point of yelling at me for not liking the .40. I really don't know.

Anyone else ever have someone just jump into the middle of your conversation like that? Not to offer advice, but to basically chew you out with how much they know?

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Anyone else ever have someone just jump into the middle of your conversation like that? Not to offer advice, but to basically chew you out with how much they know?

In a gun shop you say? Nope, nothing like that ever happens in a gun shop.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Not in person, but it's pretty much the basis of online gun forums. Maybe he just forgot he wasn't at his keyboard.

Bigshep

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    New Albany
    Not in person, but it's pretty much the basis of online gun forums. Maybe he just forgot he wasn't at his keyboard.

Lol. This actually crossed my mind. The first thing I thought after going about my business was that I just lived a real life online forum thread.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    I've seen it happen, but have never been on the giving or receiving end of it. I wouldn't take it to heart. Normally if someone jumps in like that, it's because they're very insecure about their choice/knowledge of their carry choice and so they have a built in defense mechanism that goes off at the hint of someone talking "crap" on their round.

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    Online gun forum ... good analogy. I always thought that people adopt a certain online persona when hiding behind a keyboard, and that the stuff they spew online they would never speak in person.

Maybe not with gun nuts. :D

Bigshep

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    New Albany
    I've seen it happen, but have never been on the giving or receiving end of it. I wouldn't take it to heart. Normally if someone jumps in like that, it's because they're very insecure about their choice/knowledge of their carry choice and so they have a built in defense mechanism that goes off at the hint of someone talking "crap" on their round.

Def not taking it to heart. I actually think its kind of funny, tbh. For the same reason that you said here. Insecurity.

SaintsNSinners

Shooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    At Work in Indy
    I like my snappy hot 40 caliber enough I shoot .40+p some times. That being said everyone has their choice of calibers different strokes for different folks. It doesn't make one caliber better than the other

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I was in a LGS a while back and there wasis a new young kid behing the glass. He tried to tell me that Sig's were junk. He said the last 4 they sold had to be sent back for repair with in a month. I just nodded and kept looking then walked out. Some of the people in LGS really should not be there and if they are, they need to know what they are selling. I mean come on, Sig is junk? Please.

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I personally like the .40 cal and found that it has been a trusty round for me. However, I'm not a gun shop professor. I would personally have told the guy to mind his business.

Sureshot129

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    NW Indiana
    <------------Carries a Sig and works at a Gun Shop and SOME Sigs do suck I know you were not at my shop, but all the polymer framed Sigs I have messed with are horrid. That said we try hard here not to push anyone into any one manufacturer having the range allows us to have the try and decide for yourself ability. Do we have everything, No but it's a place to start and we are working on getting more rentals in all the time.

Bigshep

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    New Albany
    I like my snappy hot 40 caliber enough I shoot .40+p some times. That being said everyone has their choice of calibers different strokes for different folks. It doesn't make one caliber better than the other

And that's exactly the way I think. Use what you like and be happy with it. Just because someone else doesn't like it doesn't mean its a bad round/caliber.

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    You could've said something tarded like I normally carry 50bmg in my back pocket. Or just gone with calling his wife ugly.

Top Bottom