• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Some of you may remember me posting a thread of my modding of my mossberg 702 .22 rifle. well i said i was done and happy with it about a month ago. But then i couldnt keep my hands off of it, so i ordered some new parts and did some more painting. I love this thing, and my wallet loves it because it is cheap to shoot and parts are relatively cheap. Out of all my guns this is by far my favorite to me. And its the cheapest one i own, but i cant stop looking at it. Have i gone crazy?:D:D:D
    mossberg702002.jpg

mossberg702003.jpg

mossberg702001.jpg

original form:
    IMG_20110327_171036.jpg

Last edited:

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Great paint job!

But why did you exclude the receiver, front sight base, flashider, and bipod????
    i wasnt sure if the heat would effect the paint on the reciever or not and i didnt want to tape it. the flashhider i just got in the mail today and was too excited and wanted to show it off. lol and i wasnt sure if the constant movement of the bipod would scratch the paint a lot.

thank you all for the rep and the nice comments, this is the first rifle ive every really customized and yes the bipod and flashhider are extremely taticool but i wanted a long range hipower rifle look without emptying my wallet. this was just a cheap plinker that is a work horse, i would recommend this rifle to anyone, the only problem i had was it would jam if you rested the mag on a surface and fired.but now with the bipod i wont have that problem:D Now that this is done i will be picking up another mosin to work on. I am extremely excited for it. I have picked out a really nice boyds wood stock for it and i will be cutting down the barrel to make it a little lighter and more maneuverable. I am going to call it my bear gun (although i have never hunted bears). Plans so far are to free float the barrel, bent bolt and jewel it, scope mount, nice scope and rings, and maybe one of those fancy triggers that has the thumb flip safety. The goal for it is to have a work horse heavy duty rifle, that still shows respect to its roots (by having a wood stock and no tactical stuff) yet still compare to the look of a new age rifle, but is pocket book friendly. This week i will be on the lookout for a good candidate. wish me luck:D and i do know that a remington 770 can be had for the price of putting together a sporterized mosin, but what fun would that be( actually i really want a .308 rifle)? I have found through the .22 that its a blast to do your own work on the gun and know all the insides and outs of it.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Lots of people look at the Plinkster as the poor mans 10/22, but mine has always done a good job for me. The only weak spot on that gun is the magazine, but they are cheap and I have a few of them. You did an excellent job on that buddy! What did you use to paint it? Where did you get the cammo barrel? You have given me some ideas for my 702, thanks.:yesway:

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Lots of people look at the Plinkster as the poor mans 10/22, but mine has always done a good job for me. The only weak spot on that gun is the magazine, but they are cheap and I have a few of them. You did an excellent job on that buddy! What did you use to paint it? Where did you get the cammo barrel? You have given me some ideas for my 702, thanks.:yesway:
    for the barrel i ordered a roll of camo tape off amazon and did one solid piece down the length of the barrel. ( people will say this traps moisture and cause rust issues, but i refuse to take this out in the rain now lol) and all of the paint is simply spray camo with a lot of layers of flat mate clear coat. I painted a khaki base coat, then added sections of drab green, then sprayed earth (brown) over some pine needles to get the pine look with lines. It was all simple, just took time.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    for the barrel i ordered a roll of camo tape off amazon and did one solid piece down the length of the barrel. ( people will say this traps moisture and cause rust issues, but i refuse to take this out in the rain now lol) and all of the paint is simply spray camo with a lot of layers of flat mate clear coat. I painted a khaki base coat, then added sections of drab green, then sprayed earth (brown) over some pine needles to get the pine look with lines. It was all simple, just took time.
    Well, you did a good job and it looks like a Plinkster on steroids!:rockwoot:

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Well, you did a good job and it looks like a Plinkster on steroids!:rockwoot:
    thanks , i always see crazy cool 10/22s so i figured why not give it a shot with a 702. the muzzle brake on this is actually made for a 10/22 and some of the reviews said it was actually loose on the 10/22 barrels but it is rock solid on the 702.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Great job!! No you aren't crazy. I get that way with the Mosins I build, always looking for a new idea. I like the paint job!

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Great job!! No you aren't crazy. I get that way with the Mosins I build, always looking for a new idea. I like the paint job!
    hopefully i will be getting my mosin project started this week if i can find a good one around town customize. Im really excited to start it. Ive owned one for a while now and still havent shot it.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    thanks all, i took it out to a buddies farm to sight it in yesterday, and was getting shots all over the place, finally i got it sighted in decent at about 75-100 yards , i get home and find the scope wasnt tightened down and was actually wiggling around. im pretty sure im way off again, atleast it gives me more reason to take it back out

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    FalconRC369
    Top Bottom