• ...and so much more!
  • Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Made up my mind, ive been buying to many handguns and it's time I get a modern auto loading rifle..currently my only rifle is a Mosin 91/30 which I love!:D

But being this is my first AR15 style rifle I don't want to pay a great deal for something I might not even like so I am refraining from dropping $1100+ for something like a Bushmaster or Colt ect.

Then I came upon a local pawn shop who also doubles as a small gun shop. "He orders stuff new" One of the AR's he had that caught my eye was a ATI Del Ton AR15 with a A3 flat top upper with no carry handle.

His asking price brand new was $750 and from looking at their website that is what they are going for... my question is would this be a decent entry rifle for someone who has never owned an AR15 before? I have fired a few in the past but never actually owned one myself personally... But so far it does seem to fit the needs I want in one.. it's price okay, and it's something I just want to experiment with in terms of accessories ect.

But I don't know a whole lot about them.. as far as I know they are from Carolina and have a connection to American Tactical Imports... does anyone on here know if they are good rifles? From what I have read they don't have chrome lined barrels which is that even a big deal? Also I read it is rated for both 223 and 5.56x45?

Also please don't suggest for me to build my own.. the price isn't a concern to me and I don't want to attempt building my own until I have had more hands on experience with this type of rifle. :ar15:

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    based on everything i have read they appear to be a mid level AR in terms of price and quality. i believe they are 5.56, but a quick telephone call will resolve that.

i bought a complete upper from PK Firearms and ordered a complete lower from DS Arms. My A4 clone cost me $775 total and has what i consider to be better features than a middle of the road gun. ymmv.

garlic_b

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Bloomington
    Go with a del-ton kit and a lower. And you can get it below $600 (Not including mags.)

I'm building my second del-ton kit this summer.

GTG.

bamthetrashman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I ordered a Del-Ton Midlength rifle kit last December and I am very happy with it. The quality looks great and it matches up nicely with my RRA lower. I have about 300 rounds through it and haven't had a single issue. I just put a Vortex Sparc on it and I can hit pretty much whatever I aim at. I would definently buy from them again.

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    I have one and have never had a problem out of it. I bought it to use in case someone wanted to use it during a course and it has gotten used alot and still no problems yet!

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Thanks with the replies, based on what I am reading on here, watching youtube videos, and reading reviews from other gun sites..I think I am going to go ahead and get myself a Del Ton as my first AR15. :ar15:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    GTG with one question....... are they back to a regular schedule for delivery?

I waited about triple the quoted time to receive my parts on a build when they were back logged.
    That was during the buying rush when the obamster got into orifice.

westfork

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Ellettsville
    del-ton is :yesway:. i've owned a few of their lowers, used their parts, still have one of their uppers, sold a bunch when i had a shop, never had a complaint.

DO IT! YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO!

AftermatH

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2011
    I received my Del-Ton kit on 4/21 and it was ordered on 3/9 so it was right around 6 weeks. The longest 6 weeks of my life no less :):

MeatyBacchus

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    My Uncle got a Delton, it was reliable. However, the gun had many parts that just did not lock up tightly. He ended up selling his and purchasing a DSA midlength from AIM Surplus.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    I have a Del-ton kit that I built on a RRA lower. Never the first problem and fit is very good. I would buy another in a heartbeat.

Top Bottom