I think sunglasses are essential gear, not just for fashion!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Worth watching if you want to get ticked off.

[video=youtube;CAeHuDcy_bY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAeHuDcy_bY[/video]

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    Anybody have a best place to go shopping for Oakley sunglasses?

EBay from a good reputable source. You'll save a good bit doing it this way. The other way is from one of Oakleys Outlet stores and they will have some decent deals from time to time.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    Oakley not only works for me because of decent lenses and there are better out there. Maui Jim supposedly has some real good ones. But because of their ear socks which makes wearing them for any length of time much more comfortable than most. Cartier has some real nice wearing sunglasses but this comes at real premium.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    EBay from a good reputable source. You'll save a good bit doing it this way. The other way is from one of Oakleys Outlet stores and they will have some decent deals from time to time.

Meh...

For just shades for riding the bike or out on the lake? Sure. Will I trust that 50% off "factory seconds" pair isnt total knockoffs that dont actually meet ANSI Z87 standards? HELLS NAW!

Safety glasses, parachutes, and condoms. 3 things I really wont skimp on.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield

I bought a pair of ESS Crossbow glasses with 3 lenses and the Vice Rx insert:

product_model_241_large.jpg

Crossbow 3LS Kit in Ballistic Eyeshields - ESS Eye Pro - Ballistic Goggles - Ballistic Sunglasses - Military Eyewear - Eye Protection – Shooting Glasses

Here are the inserts:

ess-vice-rx-prescription-insert_78-1542_b.jpg

Vice Rx Insert in Accessories - ESS Eye Pro - Ballistic Goggles - Ballistic Sunglasses - Military Eyewear - Eye Protection – Shooting Glasses

I took the Vice Rx inserts into my optometrist and had progressive lenses made and fitted into the Vice Rx frame.

I am not 100% convinced.

First off, the Vice Rx nose piece does not really snap tightly into the Crossbow outer lenses, and they right VERY high on my face.

Next, I had to do some major bending and surgery on the Vice Rx insert itself so that it would snap tightly into the nose piece.

Once I got them to all fit together, I found them to be OK, but I was not 100% thrilled with the fit (rides high), and the way the Vice Rx insert is designed, the progressive prescription is very "shallow" meaning that I have to really tip my head to use the reading portion of the lens.

I also have to say that when you use 2 sets of lenses like that (first the prescription Vice Rx, then the outer protective/colored lens), there is a bit of distortion that occurs when you are looking through double lenses.

On the plus side, I like that I have 3 sets of interchangeable lenses: Yellow, clear and smoked. They also make a polarized lens, but that did not come in the kit, and costs extra.

I finally got a chance to take them out to the range the other day, and they actually worked out better than I expected. This was an indoor range, and I used the yellow lenses. They worked very well in practice, although I am not sure how stylish they looked since they ride so high, but I am not there to please the Style police.

Overall, they are decent glasses, but I will probably consider something different in the future.

ESS also has a different prescription insert, The U-RX insert:

products_191_large.jpg

I think this version looks pretty ugly behind the other lenses, but seems to be more robust and clicks in tightly to the nose piece. I did not realize it at the time, but this insert was included at no charge with the Crossbow glasses. I had to order the Vice-Rx insert separately.

The final judgement is a mixed bag I think. A dedicated set of prescription shoot glasses will probably have better performance and look better, but I do like the flexibility of having the 3 lens colors. They also make a polarized lens that is available for an extra charge.

I need some more time behind the glasses before passing final judgement however.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    Midway actually has a sale on a pair of Oakley Crosshair SI Ballistic Prizim sunglasses for $119. The ear socks on these sunglasses make wearing these things extremely comfortable.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom