• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cositc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Martinsville
    On the 8 of dec. i sent in my form 1 with my $200 and a copy of the trust. It should have got there yesterday. Now i just have to wait the 4 or so months to get it back. I would also like to know where i could get the engraving done near indianapolis.:D

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Congrats on your leap!:) Transfers are going pretty fast lately, you might not have to wait that long! SBR I'm guessing?
    I'm not sure about engraving, I read a thread about sp3worker doing them. Might try the search function or, I'm sure someone will point you in the right direction.:ingo:

cositc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Martinsville
    Congrats!! What the game plan?

On a PSA note though..

So, you mailed off your form without having the lower engraved first?? Please read this one. In this case I would def. talk to either Hotrodtba or SP3worker.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/class_iii_nfa/109414-great_just_in_great.html

TF.EL.CF.MF.WIN.
    Test Fit
    Engrave Lower
    Complete Forms
    Mail Forms
    Win!!!

Hey thanks for the heads up next time ill engrave before i send in the paperwork and i just pm'd both of them.

cositc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Martinsville
    Just remember that they do not have an FFL so they must do the engraving while you wait (to be in full compliance with the law). Last time I checked on getting engraving done they were backlogged too much to do it while I waited.

As long as the form is not approved yet its not a title II weapon and it can be given to anybody as long as they are legal to own a gun under the law.
    Well at least thats how i understude it. But i was planing on using someplace where i could get the work done where i wait.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    As long as the form is not approved yet its not a title II weapon and it can be given to anybody as long as they are legal to own a gun under the law.
    Well at least thats how i understude it. But i was planing on using someplace where i could get the work done where i wait.
    Absolutely not. It is still a title I firearm and therefore cannot be left at a "non-ffl" for any type of overnight work.

In this case the work that Laserscribe would be doing is considered gunsmithing, and if the firearm is left there then they must have an FFL to work on it.

ETA, I'm not saying you can't do it, I'm saying you can't do it legally. I know for a fact that Laserscribe will still take it, but that is likely because of ignorance regarding the law. As a matter of fact, they're likely the ones to get into trouble if they're caught taking firearms in for work and keeping them overnight without an FFL and bound-book.

cositc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Martinsville
    Absolutely not. It is still a title I firearm and therefore cannot be left at a "non-ffl" for any type of overnight work.

In this case the work that Laserscribe would be doing is considered gunsmithing, and if the firearm is left there then they must have an FFL to work on it.

ETA, I'm not saying you can't do it, I'm saying you can't do it legally. I know for a fact that Laserscribe will still take it, but that is likely because of ignorance regarding the law. As a matter of fact, they're likely the ones to get into trouble if they're caught taking firearms in for work and keeping them overnight without an FFL and bound-book.

I got what you are saying now. But as i said before i am not planing to let it go over night.
    Called the atf today and they said that the form 1 dose not get put in there system until 2 months after they cash the check.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I got what you are saying now. But as i said before i am not planing to let it go over night.
    Called the atf today and they said that the form 1 dose not get put in there system until 2 months after they cash the check.
    Correct. Once your status is "pending" it is in the system.

And actually, the weapon does not become Title II until you build it into such weapon. So even once the form is approved it's still a Title I firearm. In the case of an SBR AR, it remains a title I firearm until you install an upper with a short barrel on it. So even after form approval you can still take it anywhere to get engraved and any FFL (not just SOT) can do it for over-night engraving.

cositc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Martinsville

And actually, the weapon does not become Title II until you build it into such weapon. So even once the form is approved it's still a Title I firearm. In the case of an SBR AR, it remains a title I firearm until you install an upper with a short barrel on it. So even after form approval you can still take it anywhere to get engraved and any FFL (not just SOT) can do it for over-night engraving.

Thanks for the info.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Thanks for the info.
    No problem... most people just don't know those obscure little things about NFA firearms. You can actually apply for a stamp to manufacture something (form 1), get approved, then never build it and ATF will refund your stamp. It takes a long time for the refund to go through, but it will go through.

Actually, it was argued on here once a long time ago, shortly after I joined. One person was very adamant that it became Title II as soon as the stamp was placed on the paper and it was signed off at ATF. I used the above information to demonstrate that the item doesn't become Title II until it is physically configured into a title II configuration.

mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    I would like to add a few things to broaden the explanation for others if they were to read that in the future.

And actually, the weapon does not become Title II until you build it into such weapon. So even once the form is approved it's still a Title I firearm. In the case of an SBR AR, it remains a title I firearm until you install an upper with a short barrel on it (or add a stock to it if it's currently a AR pistol with a short barrel already on it). So even after form approval you can still take it anywhere to get engraved and any FFL (not just SOT) can do it for over-night engraving (such as Orion Arms as an example).

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I would like to add a few things to broaden the explanation for others if they were to read that in the future.
    Yes, good point.... but I don't know very many people that would change the stock out and leave the upper on while they do it.:D

So technically, even if you add the stock, it's still not an SBR until you put the short upper back on.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    I'll engrave it for you...

hardened-pole-barn-nail-30trspo.jpg
    Thor_Hammer_Costume.jpg

Sorry, had to...

But seriously, Congrats, and Godspeed.

Top Bottom