• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    ...Now, I can't hit the side of a large barn. Granted, my last experience with a wrist rocket was 30 plus years ago, but recently, I've become interested in the taking of small game with one. I literally cannot hit a target consistently 10 yards away. I'm using the same one I used as a kid, with new rubber obviously, and just can't get the hang of it again. Does anybody have any words of wisdom, or good links to someplace I can learn the finer points of slingshot shooting again?

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I really had a bad thought when I read the title....LOL. I think having that skill would be a great idea and wish I could use a sling shot as it would be a great asset in an emergency.

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I too used to be pretty good with one, also 30 years ago. Probably much like shooting a recurve bow where you get the "feel" for it more than aim. Much practice is needed, heck, when we were kids we had nothing else to do.

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    The boys and I shoot a slingshot quite a bit. The boys shoot at scouts, they hang a pop can from a string and shoot at them with dog food.:yesway: I prefer to use something with sites... scope, ok... I need help hitting a barn too!:D

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I still have fun with it, I shoot in my garage, and it's really cool that I've had it since I was a kid, I just wish I was better at it. I plan on practicing a lot.:cool:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    My neighbor is Mexican and he kills rabbits and squirrels out in the yard fairly often with his slingshot. He tried a skunk one time. That didn't work out as well.

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    My folks were cleaning out their basement a few years back, ended up reuniting me with an old Crossman slingshot they'd confiscated from me about 35 years prior. Still had a bunch of ball bearings in the hollow handle. Thing is, I think I'm a better shot with it now than back then.Don't bother "aiming", it's an instinctive thing, like throwing a baseball. Be patient, practice a bit. It'll come back to 'ya.

caneman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Lagrange County
    The beanshooter man is great, unfortunately he died about ten years ago.

I bought a new wooden over the top flat band shooter from bunnybuster.com and have had limited shooting so far. (Too cold) I bought 5 pounds of #1 buckshot to practice this spring but I think I'll try to find some pea gravel to shoot. A five gallon bucket should last a long time.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    My neighbor is Mexican and he kills rabbits and squirrels out in the yard fairly often with his slingshot. He tried a skunk one time. That didn't work out as well.

I've killed a fair number of rabbits with a slingshot when I was a kid but every squirrel I shot just flew out of the tree and then got up and ran back up it. It seemed you had to hit them in the head to do the trick.

Best,

Joe

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    UPDATE...I practiced extensively over the past few months, and actually got pretty good with this thing again. I was shooting in my garage mainly, using 3/8" steel slugs i get from work. I've built a small range in the back yard, and can shoot up to 25 yrds. At that distance, I can get within a 14 to 16 inch circle pretty consistant. Its mainly muscle memory and feel. I'm confident I could easily take squirrels and birds with this thing now.:yesway:

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Moldcleaner Randy from work is INTO slingshots and was telling me how one of.the old guys from Hooterville (Albany) was showing him how to build.them from scratch. Very cool stuff. He.tells me there are even.forums! Right now he's working on a walking stick slingshot. You.just have to.see it.

Top Bottom