• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    I have been asked what I want for Christmas this year and I'm pretty set on most of my reloading equipment, but I don't have a chronograph yet.

Any suggestions on a Chronograph in the $100-ish range?
    I load 9mm, .223, and .308 Win and shoot mostly outdoors on a 7-100 yard range.
    99% of the reloading I do is for range/practice ammo, so it doesn't have to be a real high end chronograph.

:ingo:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've always heard the story to buy cheap, because there are people who have shot their chronys and those that are going to. That said, I've never done it, but I hope I've still got time left. Currently using a Prochrono, the ones in the past simply died the electronic death of unknown causes.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    I've always heard the story to buy cheap, because there are people who have shot their chronys and those that are going to. That said, I've never done it, but I hope I've still got time left. Currently using a Prochrono, the ones in the past simply died the electronic death of unknown causes.

I use this one as well. It works fine for my need, which are not at all different from yours. No complaints.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I've got a pro chrono and it works well. It's not something I'd turn to for precision shooting or anything. But I use it to see if I'm sub or super sonic with some loads and just to know where I'm at with others. It is everything I need at least for now and it's in your budget range.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I picked up the caldwell chronograph and have used it a dozen times so far. Not enough experience to give a proper review, and also not having much experience with them.
    The only issue I've had with it, was getting it to work with my android phone... a quick google search revealed to connect the audio cable to my phone first, then the chrony... instantly solved my problems, though backwards from what i would have expected.
    Despite some reviewers stating they have issues getting it to read, In all the shots I've fired through it (maybe 120, as i usually do 10 shot groups), I've only had one error and I am certain it was because of a bee flying through it as I saw it fly by as I shot. I've shot it in bright sun, dusk, and everything in between with little issue. I typically use the IR hoods regardless.
    So far, I'd give it an 8 of 10... but I'm no pro. ymmv
    Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph

Last edited:

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    I have been asked what I want for Christmas this year and I'm pretty set on most of my reloading equipment, but I don't have a chronograph yet.

Any suggestions on a Chronograph in the $100-ish range?
    I load 9mm, .223, and .308 Win and shoot mostly outdoors on a 7-100 yard range.
    99% of the reloading I do is for range/practice ammo, so it doesn't have to be a real high end chronograph.

:ingo:
    Bought the Caldwell from Amazon for about $75. Hooked it up to my iPhone and worked perfectly. Get the Caldwell free app and you can get all the info you need and be able to print out the shot strings with plenty of info. Having the ability to print out results is great as it allows you to track your reloading progress and make adjustments as needed. How can you go wrong for about $75???

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Caldwell here too. Hook it up to the phone and save all the groups. I stole mine from amazon.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    ProChrono Digital is what I have, and I really like it.
    It has 9 shot strings with 99 shots per string, and you can power the chrono down, take it home, then review it from an easy chair, or you can get the Bluetooth adapter or PC cable and feed the data directly to either a smartphone or a laptop, respectively.
    One other thing about it that's a big deal to me is that it's even made in USA.
    Just be damn sure to have a solid rest that you shoot from and never try offhand, as I'm embarrassed to admit I did three months ago, with predictable results.
    Yeah, I wound up buying a second one, and the first is still in my garage, waiting for me to send it in to Competition Electronics (the manufacturer) to fix or replace for their quoted price of no more than $60 max.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    ^^I've never shot mine, but that's good to know about the fix or replace price.

StringerBell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2016
    Rushville
    I shot my first one. It was one of the first variations of the Chrony that hit the market. After that, I bought an Oehler 35P. The head unit stays on the bench and you shoot through the sky screens. I've never shot a screen, but I don't drag it out often either because it takes too long to set it up. (Probably just me.) If I was in the market for one now, I'd try to find a used 35P on Ebay or some other classifieds. The Oehler was out of production for a while but I think maybe they're being manufactured again. I haven't kept up with any of the newer chronographs in the market now, but the Magnetospeed (sp?) seems interesting.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Hey, it's supposed to be a Christmas present, so it should be extravagant. Get the doppler chronograph. You won't shoot it.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I shot my first one. It was one of the first variations of the Chrony that hit the market. After that, I bought an Oehler 35P. The head unit stays on the bench and you shoot through the sky screens. I've never shot a screen, but I don't drag it out often either because it takes too long to set it up. (Probably just me.) If I was in the market for one now, I'd try to find a used 35P on Ebay or some other classifieds. The Oehler was out of production for a while but I think maybe they're being manufactured again. I haven't kept up with any of the newer chronographs in the market now, but the Magnetospeed (sp?) seems interesting.

Yep, they're back in production and still expensive.
    They're still the Rolls Royce of optical chronographs, too; although at the price they're asking for the complete 35P, this looks like a much better way to go - https://www.midwayusa.com/product/523157/labradar-ballistic-velocity-doppler-radar-chronograph

EDIT: I forgot to include the link to Oehler's site for anyone who might be interested - http://www.oehler-research.com/model35.html

Last edited:

StringerBell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2016
    Rushville
    Yep, they're back in production and still expensive.
    They're still the Rolls Royce of optical chronographs, too; although at the price they're asking for the complete 35P, this looks like a much better way to go - https://www.midwayusa.com/product/523157/labradar-ballistic-velocity-doppler-radar-chronograph

I forgot about those. I'd love to play around with one of them. I don't get to spend enough time on the range to justify the cost, but I'd love the chance to spend some time with one.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    I have had a Chrony Beta with the optional printer for about 8 years. Has always proven reliable and I seldom get error codes if it's set up properly. The only real problem I ever had with it was testing hot loads in a 45-70. Had to move the screens out as far as the cord would allow to keep the muzzle blast from shaking the screens and that was using a quality photographic tripod for support. Recently used it for my 308 load testing and no problems. Easy to transport, set and use. You can store strings in the internal memory for future reference or use the printer option either at the range or when you get home.

Bsubtown

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 19, 2013
    Dekalb county
    I got rid of my Beta in favor of a Magnetospeed. I used the Beta too infrequently to get comfortable with the abbreviated menu and choices. I was out there with the booklet fooling around all day. Maybe with the printer it would have been easier for me to use.

dmave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    CED makes a good chronograph too. I know its a little more than what you are looking to spend, but they are modular. So if a stray bullet does happen to get away, you can purchase individual replacement parts.

thomasred5

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 15, 2016
    Central Indiana
    I have a Caldwell Ballistics Precision, sits on a tripod. Once set up, it does good, but getting set up is a ridiculous game, especially at public ranges. If you are shooting from a bench with a flat level surface in front of it, it's fine. But if not, you WILL spend some time setting it up. In order to get an accurate reading, you need to be shooting strait down the center of the sensors and the unit must be level. Also, if the sun is out or windy or basically not ideal shooting conditions, you may get some errors. It is user friendly though, all data goes right into my iphone. Haven't tried to export it but supposedly you can. I will probably get the magnetosspeed V3, will keep you posted if I do.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I have a Caldwell Ballistics Precision, sits on a tripod. Once set up, it does good, but getting set up is a ridiculous game, especially at public ranges. If you are shooting from a bench with a flat level surface in front of it, it's fine. But if not, you WILL spend some time setting it up. In order to get an accurate reading, you need to be shooting strait down the center of the sensors and the unit must be level. Also, if the sun is out or windy or basically not ideal shooting conditions, you may get some errors. It is user friendly though, all data goes right into my iphone. Haven't tried to export it but supposedly you can. I will probably get the magnetosspeed V3, will keep you posted if I do.

I've read similar reviews to yours. Thankfully I've never had those issues.
    I took mine out 2 weeks ago to test some reloads... bright sunny day (I have little shade to offer), though calm that day, it's usually 15mph winds out here.
    The only issue I ran into was being too close with handgun, and it picking up muzzle blast... after a few rounds, I moved back a couple feet and it was reading fine.

I've used it a bunch in the past, and only ran into probs with bugs flying through the screens throwing my speeds off.

I try to run with the ir lights regardless, but I can't ever see the indicator in the sunlight, so half the time I run with them on, the other half I discover they were off the whole time. I wonder if battery life has something to do with it?

If OP wishes, I can lend them mine so they can test it out and see if it will work for them?

Top Bottom