• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    ...or at least put together two complete receivers. I have several questions about it. I don't have any empty rifle lowers in my possession, but is it safe to say that I need a registered pistol lower before I purchase a short upper? Also, can I decide to get an SBR stamp for it later, or do I need to decide that before I register it a pistol? If its a registered SBR, can it go back and forth between SBR & pistol configurations (i.e. deer hunting as a pistol)? I've searched and can't seem to find clear-cut answers, and the 200+ NFA pages sound like Charlie Brown's teacher :n00b:
    TIA :ingo:

Bluejeeper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Montgomery County
    You don't need to register anything unless you SBR it. Just get a stripped(or complete PISTOL) lower and build a pistol. You can build it as a pistol, then put a stock on it when your SBR stamp comes back. And from what I have seen, if it starts life as a rifle, it has to stay a rifle; but if it starts life as a pistol it can be reconfigured as a rifle and back to a pistol. I could be wrong, but don't think I am.

Good luck

jjtroy912

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 8, 2013
    Ft. W
    Bluejeeper is correct. .. However, you don't have to buy a pistol lower. Just buy a new lower. When purchasing it should be checked by the ffl as other or not specified on the 4473. The ffl shouldn't be checking it as a rifle anyways, but since we're human make sure they don't screw up when they do their portion of the 4473. I am of course referring to indiana law. I have heard of some states requiring pistol marked recievers. Good luck

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Thanks guys. I guess when I said "register" I was speaking in terms of the 4473. Are there any advantages of it going through as a "pistol" vs "other"? I understand that once a rifle-always a rifle, but I can go from pistol to SBR and back to pistol as often as I want. And I don't need to decide if I am going to Form 1 it before I start. Correct?

jjtroy912

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 8, 2013
    Ft. W
    I don't know of any advantage to 4473'ing it as a pistol. The 4473 is basically just a background check, them the paper is filed with the dealer. No one even knows how it was checked except the dealer, and the only time that would ever come out is if it were used in some crimes something crazy. So probably doesn't matter, but checking other/unspecified is most correct and least restrictive. I don't know about going back and forth from an sbr, good question. I have a pistol and a spare receiver that I plan on sbr stamping latter (If I ever get to building it). I'll just flip my 300 upper onto the pistol lower to hunt. Having multiple lowers seemed better than swapping out buffer tubes and all. I could see dnr not liking or understanding your pistol being a sbr receiver that has a pistol buffer but started as unspecified. They'd probably just say, well the receiver is for sbRIFLE, so it's a rifle. So I say go back and forth, sure, just not for hunting. No need to decide about form 1ing it first just don't ever let it be a rifle and your good to go. IMHO!!! good luck

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Here's another question. If I ordered a complete lower with a stock, does that mean the receiver started life as a rifle (and then could not be converted to a pistol)? Or is it not considered anything until it has had an upper installed?

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    others will chime in here... I always understood it as:
    1) If it starts its life as a rifle, it should always be a rifle (that serial number is a rifle)
    2) stripped lower, can be either
    3) and a pistol lower can be "upgraded" to a rifle (but not the other way around, #1), or even go back and forth

any others care to confirm/deny any of this?

Bluejeeper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Montgomery County
    others will chime in here... I always understood it as:
    1) If it starts its life as a rifle, it should always be a rifle (that serial number is a rifle)
    2) stripped lower, can be either
    3) and a pistol lower can be "upgraded" to a rifle (but not the other way around, #1), or even go back and forth

any others care to confirm/deny any of this?

After long months of research, that is how I understand it as well. That's why in my response to the OP I said to get a stripped or complete PISTOL lower.

Top Bottom