• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    EDIT: I've had it confirmed that the thing is just simply sighted too high, if that is how you say it when the POI is 4"lower (AT LEAST) than the POA. Now I need to know:
    1. if I need an armorer or a gunsmith to change out the front sight (which one and INGO referrals wanted).
    2. will this prevent the gun from being a "production" gun as far as USPSA goes?
    3. will I prevent USPSA considering a modified gun if I get the same type of front sight as what it came with but just a lower one?
    4. I'm going to change it no matter the USPSA issue, so if it kicks it out of production no matter what sight I put on it I think I'll go with a night sight rather than the fiber optic it came with since this is also my go to gun for that bump in the night occasion. (not really a question but I'm encouraging you to shoot down that logic if you have any input.)

Below is the original post:

OK, I've shot several different types of 9mm ammo out of my M&P pro and I get POI that is at 4" or more below my POA with all of them at 10yards. I get good to great (tight) patterns, I've used a sandbag and other support to try to eliminate shooter error and I don't seem to have this problem with any of my other handguns. I'm pretty convinced I need to adjust the sights. S&W website does not have anything that looks like a higher rear sight. I cannot even find on the sight where I would order a new back sight let alone one that has a different height. I wouldn't think of bubba'ing the one I have without a replacement on the ready.
    What say you INGO? Where do I get one? Is there a fix without buying a new sight?

Last edited:

RobbLG

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    Did you put an apex kit in it? Just curious because I hear alot of people get the pro and then change out the trigger and sights which seem to be the only difference with a pro...

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Well here is what I've found out so far. I have been positioning the sight picture such that the top of the front sight post aligns with the top of the rear sight posts, then placing the round night sight (front sight) on top of the bullseye. What I have been told to do, and what I have found to work much better anyway, is to change my sight picture so that the night sight circle at the top of the front sight post is either bisected or sitting on top of the line that the top of the rear sight posts create. This aligns my POA with my POI AND gives me a sight picture that makes for better target acquisition because the rear sight doesn't block out as much of my periferal view. (feels like the difference between a battle sight and peep sight on a rifle.)

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I edited the original post with new info...basically I have it confirmed from a very reliable source (that shot the gun to inspect it) that I need a front sight swap to have it in a lower position. Now I need a smith or armorer to get it done. How hard is it to calculate or determine the actual height the front sight needs to be?

Top Bottom