• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I am addicted to Forged in Fire. I have also always had an interest in edged weapons. I have done some research and am pretty sure I could construct a Forge etc. However I am nearly 60 years old, I have a bad shoulder, a hip replacement, and other arthritic issues. So Before I invest the time and $$ in building a forge and finding or building some type of "Anvil", I would like to find someone who would be willing to help me forge my first blade. That way I will know if my poor beat up body can take the pounding, so to speak. I actually have a few a few tools, they include a decent Maul, two different tongs, and a Railroad spike from which to forge the blade. So if there is anyone out there who would like to try to teach a grumpy old man some basic forging skills let me know please. Thanks! BTW I'm realistic and am not expecting to make Excalibur my first time....

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I drove past a little place in Acton (south Indy area) that had a flyer in the window advertising knife making classes. I've never been in there, but they should be able to help you.

Indy Hammered Knives https://ihknives.com

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    Pinshooter- we’re in the same boat.

As Campingjosh mentioned, IHK does classes. I’ve met the owner James Wahls a few times and he’s a great guy. I’m doing one of the weekend classes in mid-January and REALLY looking forward to it. IHK is open kinda normal business hours (see website) so you can stop by and check it out.

Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Pinshooter- we’re in the same boat.

As Campingjosh mentioned, IHK does classes. I’ve met the owner James Wahls a few times and he’s a great guy. I’m doing one of the weekend classes in mid-January and REALLY looking forward to it. IHK is open kinda normal business hours (see website) so you can stop by and check it out.

Big :+1: for James, great guy. I have 3 of his knives and he puts on a really great class. Worth your time to check him out.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    Pinshooter,the carbon content of the RR spike is to low.Once you are near theshape of the blade,MIG a good strip of hi carbon as your cutting edge.Hate to see you put that much work in a knife that is too soft to use.

Top Bottom