• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AR Maker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Morgan County-MSG2
    I want to make my own fixed blade knife. I have never done any thing like this so my question is where to start? What tools and equipment sould I buy? what is the best blade stock to start with? What to use for handles? Is it worth it to make your own or should I just buy another?

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Go for it. The only thing I ever made was using a circular saw blade as stock. Angle grinder and some files. Paracord wrapped the handle.

Field dressed a deer with it, so I say it was a success.

If you get really good I would out source the heat treatment, My guess is that is the hardest to get right.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    I want to make my own fixed blade knife. I have never done any thing like this so my question is where to start? What tools and equipment sould I buy? what is the best blade stock to start with? What to use for handles? Is it worth it to make your own or should I just buy another?

its WELL worth it to make your own! and easy, too! source some 1095, 5160, or some 154cm. don't worry about buying any "equipment". get a drill, a hacksaw, and some files. now. make a knife! buy some micarta or g10 and finish off the handles! google the "jonsey knife tutorial" and look at how easy it is.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I've tinkered around in the past with old worn out file blades and a belt sander, came out with some decent blades. Was employed at a machine shiop with LOTS of free time, heh. Unfortunately a lot of changes were made at the shop before I could finish handles, heh. I'll see if I can dig up some pics I had of the blades... Might have lost them in my external hard drive crash, but we'll see... Or I can take new ones...

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    what kind of steel does scrap yard or busee use? and esee too?

it all depends but most busse knifes are infi steel and its pretty amazing. most scrapyard knives are made of sr101 a spring steel. and esee is made of 1095 i believe. all great steels just depends on what your trying to do with it and wether or not you dislike a patina

Top Bottom