I want to take YOUR kid deer hunting....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Just like the title says. I want to take your son/daughter deer hunting this fall. This will more than likely be a late season hunt as that's when conditions are right for the set I want to use so your child must be able to take the cold to an extent This will be a ground blind hunt over a plot of turnips about 80 yards south of an amazing bedding area. Shots will be close The area itself is a 600 acre piece of private ground located in southern porter county that has some of the best deer hunting in the state if not the country. I have a number of reasons behind this hunt. First is it's absolutely awesome to watch a kid shoot their first deer. Second the does are over running us. For this reason this will be a Doe or mature buck only hunt. A mature buck is definateky likely but I can't guarantee anything. As hard as it might be to make a child pass a young buck it's just how it has to be. Below is a list I'd like to see in a young hunter as well as a list of what I will provide.

From the youngster:
    -has never taken a deer (more points if they have hunted and been unsuccessul)
    -proficient with a gun or bow (points for a bow)
    -safe well mannered polite and respectful. I WILL end a hunt early if something unsafe is done with a firearm
    -ability to be a little flexible time wise. I WILL NOT go to the woods if the wind is wrong.
    -I'd like to meet both parent and child well before the hunt to get to know each of you.
    -I'd like the parent to come with on the hunt if possible with the understanding that it's my place my rules.

Now from me-
    -place to hunt I can guarantee deer sightings although can't guarantee success

-the use of any and all of my hunting gear if needed to make this work (muzzleloader Inc)

-any help needed (schedule permitting) before the season to work on gun safety marksmanship or archery (archery gets bonus points remember?)

-help field dressing and getting deer out of the woods

-the ability to help in processing the deer if interested or it's yours to do with what you want.

-hopefully a life long addiction to the outdoors

The rules (may change at any time)

-your child must be under 16 years old
    -this is a doe or mature buck only hunt. Your definition and mine of what a mature buck is are probably different just so you know.
    -at any and all times what i say goes.
    -this must be a legal hunt I WILL look at licenses
    -mom or dad will not shoot or carry a weapon this hunt is for your child not you.

Please post in this thread and don't pm me. If this doesn't work out for one reason or another so be it but you have my guarantee that I will work hard to make this a successful hunt. However it must be understood that I'm a farmer and very busy in the fall due to my profession as a farmer and I also need to find time to hunt myself. This hunt will take place during the last half of muzzleloader season or late archery season.

I'd like to pick the hunter in the next week or two so we have time to get them ready to hunt. Please also understand that this will be a one time hunt (although we may have to go out more than once) not a lifetime pass to hunt private ground (another statement that sounds bad but needs brought up in my opinion).

IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Sorry one addition. I'd really like the hunter to be from NWI or very close proximity. All meetings and shooting will be done at my house located in southern porter county. I WILL NOT travel and come to you.

Davegrave

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 16, 2011
    Hammond, IN
    Man, that's pretty cool of you. I wish I was under 16. :D
    I always want to get into hunting but I don't just want to go out on my own and wing it. I always wish I knew some hunters to go out with a few times to acclimate myself.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    Man, that's pretty cool of you. I wish I was under 16. :D
    I always want to get into hunting but I don't just want to go out on my own and wing it. I always wish I knew some hunters to go out with a few times to acclimate myself.

I'd be happy to help you out, but all the hunting I do is about an hour or more south of Indianapolis. I don't know of any places in the north.

IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Also this doesn't have to be your son/daughter. If you are close to a kid with interest hit me up. Niece/nephew/good friends children also elgible.

! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    Yeah no kidding, I wish i was under 16 too. The wife and I started hunting 3 years ago but the land we hunted was lost. Haven't been hunting in the past year

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    Too bad you're so far north. My 10 yr old cousin would be almost perfect for this. He is a competent shot and learning longbow right now (though I'm not a very good teacher at archery, since I'm still learning). He has helped me butcher my deer for the last two years and has enjoyed going on a couple unsuccessful squirrel hunts. We're all the way down in Monroe county, so it'd likely be too far. Besides, I think he might have another year or two of maturing before he is ready.

Rep sent for making the offer. I can't wait to see the update thread! That's gonna be one happy kid!

IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Philagothon if you want to give it a shot, I'm game. Looks like your cousin is EXACTLY what I'm looking for. It'd be a drive for you guys, but we could probably make a weekdend out of it if you're interested. If not, no big deal, just looks like he would fit the bill quite well. Shoot me a PM if you're interested in working something out. As far as him being mature enough, if he can shoot a muzzleloader off a set of sticks, he's mature enough.

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    :( Unfortunately his mom was not keen on the idea. If he were my son, we'd be making plans for his first deer hunting trip. Since he's just my cousin, I gotta go by what his mom says. I hope someone takes you up on this amazing offer, because I'm still looking forward to the update thread!

millfire517

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Grant County, IN
    I am in the process of upgrading my daughter into a hunting legal bow. Her last one was 30# and less. She has gotten pretty good with it and Hopefully she will get better with her new one. She has also shot plenty of guns but I would need to find her a 20ga or 410 for her to shoot slugs, Still not hip to the kick of a 12ga. If everything goes ok with her new bow and no one has filled the slot yet It may be something to look at. She is 11yo and is really looking forward to hunting this year whether we take the .22 out for rabbit or squirrel or if we get the chance maybe a deer.

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    Very Very nice of you. I think in todays age people are so busy and so many kids grow up without good role models that we all should think about doing this or something similar on a local level. The organization and the amazing resources being offered by this man is really awsome and beyond many of us, but if you have kids take them hunting and now and then include one of their freinds. Teach safety and ethics and pass on a love for the outdoors most kids dont get to see. If you dont have kids of your own, I bet there is a neighbor kid, co-workers kid, kid at church, that would love to be included. Take a kid hunting fishing target shooting or just a hike in the woods. I wasnt raised in the woods but was lucky to meet some mentors (family and otherwise) who lit the fire in me to learn more and enjoy nature.

Yote69

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    Logansport
    What you are doing is awesome and some kid will be very lucky and have something to remember for the rest of his life:rockwoot:I too love to take kids hunting especially the first time. It sounds crazy to some people but I enjoy watching the kids' face light up. My son took his first rabbit and deer last season and I get more of a kick out of watching him take game than taking ANY game myself. Maybe a goose this year

Keep up the good work:patriot:

JamesZX1100

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    NE INDY
    That is awesome that you are doing this for someone!!! If I had a son/daughter, I would sure be one of these many people that are wanting you to take their young one! Good luck! This is probably the nicest thing anyone has done on this site!

IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I can't believe that NOBODY in the northern half of the state wants their son/daughter to have a great oppurtunity to take their first deer...

bump to keep it up top anyway

Top Bottom