I want to thread my shotgun barrel for choke tubes, but where to have it done?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    I have a Mossberg 590 9 shot 12 gauge, 20" cylinder bore barrel, standard contour, bead sight. It is equipped with the Knoxx Spec-Ops recoil reducing 5 position adjustable M4 style stock. I mostly run Winchester Wal-Mart specials through this thing, but my preferred defense/zombie/shtf/rabid cow in the corn crib load is 2 3/4" 16 pellet #1 buck.

I would really like to have this shotgun threaded for choke tubes.

My first thought on this is the simplest one, which is leave the barrel standard length, and just have it threaded to accept screw in choke tubes.

My second thought is to have it cut back 2", threaded, and install a Poly-Choke. This would allow me to choose my pattern tightness, as well as adding a different look. If the muzzle brake on the poly choke does anything for recoil it will go unnoticed more than likely, since the Knoxx already makes it feel like shooting an AR-15. If there was a modified choke that had a breacher device on it, I'd cut it back and install it, just cuz they look gnarly. :rockwoot: Cutting the barrel is honestly something I am less likely to do.

Either way I go, I want to add a Tru-Glo Glo-Dot II. I feel like bead sights are faster to acquire than ghost rings or rifle sights, and a single glowing dot has proven to be great for me. You can see in the pic the tru-glo snaps over the barrel, and uses the factory bead to center itself.

Does anybody know of a reputable gunsmith that is capable of doing any or all of the above with my barrel? I would prefer somebody local within 1 hour north or south of I70 between Terre Haute and Indy, but if you know a go to guy out of state that has great prices, thats fine too.

Thanks in advance, and I've included a few pictures of the parts I mentioned in case y'all aren't familiar with them

l_902093728_1.jpg

p_100002433_1.jpg

spec-ops.jpg

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Briley

You will want to have this done by someone that can guarantee that the threads are in prefect alignment with the bore. If not, you will have a gun that shoots somewhere other than where you are aiming! Have used Briley and been very happy with the results.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I thought that mossburg made barrels for the 590, I guess i was wrong as i looked it up.

I guess that they don't make barrels as none on the web sight,

Is the barrel thick enough to add the chokes, I bet it is, The old thin barreled guns like a winchester model 37 have barrels to thin to add chokes.

Top Bottom