I was just fine going with the general consensus about ATI OMNI lowers but...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    My wife accidentally bought me one for my birthday last week. She said she didn't realize it was polymer until she got it home. What can ya do!?

Anyhow, since I have one now, I decided to build it cheap, and see how it does!

First thing I did was pull the upper from my other AR, and see how they fit. I immediately realized that the pivot pin ears were too thick to clear my rail.
    I sat down with some 240 grit sandpaper, and thinned them out enough to clear the rail, and allow my upper to pivot freely.
    100_7762_zps65448993.jpg

With the extra clearance, it fits and pivots great!
    Using 1/4" drill bits as takedown pins, I pinned the upper to the lower, and the fit is actually quite good!
    100_7766_zps646d5cc0.jpg
    100_7771_zpsff7e0052.jpg

At this point, I began to wonder how many of these have been broken because people just threw em together, without paying attention to fitment of parts.
    (I'll readily admit that my first AR build was 99% just parts assembly, not actually building or fitting!)

It has some spare parts in it now, but I ordered a cheap lower parts kit, and buffer kit from PSA, and I intend to fit everything as needed, to ensure that I'm not over stressing any area of parts attachment.

I intend to just throw a cheap upper on it, (New or second hand. We'll see what my 4 kid budget will allow!)with irons and plastic handguards, and call it good, with the exception of adding a cheap adjustable gas block, to tame the amount of energy the bolt and buffer are delivering to the buffer tube.

We have all heard and seen the horror stories about these things, and I'm curious what the failure rate actually is! I think we only hear the bad! I think there are probably at least 100 guys on INGO who have em and love em, but won't speak up, for fear of being persecuted by the elitists!

Hopefully after it's built, and range tested, this thread will help to prove/disprove the horror stories! One thing is certain, parts fitment will NOT be a variable in this build! I plan to give this lower every opportunity to perform for me!

I know this will never be a rifle that I would want in a SHTF scenario, but I already have a couple rifles for that! I'll just be ecstatic if it turns into a reliable range toy! If I break it, so be it! I'll replace the lower with a forged one, let ATI replace this one and throw it in the safe, till the next gun control scare, and I'll sell it for 5 bajillion dollars!:rolleyes:

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    I can't speak for Omni, but I have purchased and built several rifles on New Frontier lowers. They all required that you ream the take down pin holes as well as clean out the magazine release inlets. Either way, they all turned out great.

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    I can't speak for Omni, but I have purchased and built several rifles on New Frontier lowers. They all required that you ream the take down pin holes as well as clean out the magazine release inlets. Either way, they all turned out great.
    The takedown pins should be fine, since 1/4" drillbits fit and pin it nicely to my current upper. I'll get my LPK and buffer kit later this week, and I'll report back! (Hopefully with good news!)

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Find a dedicated .22lr upper and turn it into a .22lr trainer... (although I'm sure it will be fine with 5.56)

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    Find a dedicated .22lr upper and turn it into a .22lr trainer... (although I'm sure it will be fine with 5.56)
    I initially planned to do just that, but a .22lr upper is about the same money as a 5.56 upper! I think I'll do a gas regulated 5.56, (For longevity sake), and just pony up for a conversion bolt and magazines. Make a decent lightweight introduction to the AR platform type rifle. Teach em controls of an AR, using the .22 bolt, then graduate them to a tame, regulated, .223, before you ever let em touch your good rifle! My Carbine is WAAAY overgassed, but I like it like that, cause it's NEVER had a FTF or a FTE. Nevertheless, I don't think I'll be doing any testing or final fitting with that upper!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Ive built 3 on OMNI Lowers. They require some fitting like your talking about, but all have functioned fine. I wont buy any more, but I ordered 3 just to play with and form my own opinion.

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    Ive built 3 on OMNI Lowers. They require some fitting like your talking about, but all have functioned fine. I wont buy any more, but I ordered 3 just to play with and form my own opinion.
    Right on! Thanks! Tells me I'm on the right track! I'd also say it's worth the $50, to form my own opinion! Plus, the wife buying me a lower, means I'm approved to build it! If it fails, I'll only need to replace the lower! (I can hide $100 from the wife for a lower!:bowdown:)

undeRGRound

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2012
    I think I will wait for a track record such as this build thread, and to see if the majority of newer ones seem to pass public scrutiny...
    PSA Makes a nice complete AR, and their lowers appeal to me as well! Building another AR this year ('14) if work picture allows ;)
    2013 was a great year for me with firearms, I think '14 will be about ammo and reloading :D

undeRGRound

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2012
    PS: I'd smooth out those stress risers on that area you sanded. First Pic
    Looks like they were put there by ATI though :rolleyes:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I had 3 of the GEN1 lowers and all 3 had problems with trigger hole alignment, causing the trigger group to malfunction, typically with the disconnector failing to catch the hammer and reset the trigger. I sent them back and ATI replaced them with their GEN2 "Hybrid" lower.

American Tactical Imports

I'll say this...I do like the look, and they feel much higher quality. They look like some of the modern billet lowers, with flared magwells, winter trigger guards, and improved textures on the magwell for a magwell grip (should you like that method). I'll build one up this weekend, and hopefully see if it functions better.

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    I had 3 of the GEN1 lowers and all 3 had problems with trigger hole alignment, causing the trigger group to malfunction, typically with the disconnector failing to catch the hammer and reset the trigger. I sent them back and ATI replaced them with their GEN2 "Hybrid" lower.

American Tactical Imports

I'll say this...I do like the look, and they feel much higher quality. They look like some of the modern billet lowers, with flared magwells, winter trigger guards, and improved textures on the magwell for a magwell grip (should you like that method). I'll build one up this weekend, and hopefully see if it functions better.
    I got my LPK and buffer kit today. I'll report back on trigger hole alignment when I get a minute to install it! Something to keep an eye out for at least!

undeRGRound

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2012
    @philbert001

I hope it all works out for you, seems like you have the skillZ to make it work.
    I would rather spend more for metal at this point. But I am following your progress and wish you the best!

RGR

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    Sorry about the delayed report, but I didn't want to go shoot a plastic lower in -15 degree weather!

I received my first buffer kit, and while the tube diameter was mil spec, the thread diameter was 5/1000" UNDER commercial spec! (1.165") ATI includes a little warning card that specifically states that a mil spec tube, with a thread diameter of 1.183" minimum MUST be used! (I saw why when I attempted to install the bad one! MAYBE 10% thread engagement!) Ended up buying a full buttstock and buffer kit from Damage Industries on sale for $45! I can deal with that!

The LPK installed with absolutely no problems! I used this kit, from PSA, P-TAC BLACKHAWK! Lower Parts Kit - Lower Parts Kits - Lower Parts - AR-15 and for the money, am quite pleased! It's cheaper than a DPMS kit from midway, and came with a quite nice ergo grip! The included trigger is better than the DPMS trigger that came with the last DPMS kit I bought. Parts all dropped right into the lower with no issue. Safety wasn't very crisp, but has improved since I started playing with it. Trigger hole alignment appears decent, as it does what it should.

Pinned on my buddy's 14.5", mid-length, upper, with adjustable gas block, last Saturday, and ran a magazine of my handloads, increasing gas until wide open, and had zero malfunctions, and it's still in one piece for now! I was kind of expecting to feel some feedback through the stock that would tell me it's a plastic lower, but other than some noticeable weight savings, it felt exactly like shooting an aluminum lower!

Next range day, I may pin on my over gassed upper, and see how it does! Thus far I can't knock the thing! (And trust me! I would! I HATE plastic pistols, and would LOVE to trash talk this thing, but thus far, I can't!)

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    My friend had one ...took it to the range...on first mag the lower busted at the rear...u really want to trust your life to that? ati told him that they woudl replace but lost his lower when he sent it back...that was six months ago...crap from a crap company

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    My friend had one ...took it to the range...on first mag the lower busted at the rear...u really want to trust your life to that? ati told him that they woudl replace but lost his lower when he sent it back...that was six months ago...crap from a crap company

I highly doubt anyone here is planning a battle rifle build out of one of these lowers. I think most (including myself) see it more an experiment and perhaps a chance to find the basis for a very light weight build, that might be suitable for younger shooters to learn on.

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    Read the whole thread. I have battle rifles... For every range! Perhaps your buddy didn't pay attention when assembling the lower. (Again, see previous posts for clarification!)

Top Bottom