• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brick House

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Plainfield IN.
    After posting a thread about paying too much for self defense ammo, At Fort Librty Guns In Avon, $25 for 25 rounds of Remington Ultimate Home Defense, I bought 100 rounds of Remington UMC 230Gr. JHP for $39.97 At Walmart and thought I got a smoking deal, because the rounds looked almost identical to The UHD rounds. But upon the advice of the INGO Members , I went to You Tube and watched the videos of people testing the different rounds. The Ultimate Home Defense rounds Performed flawlessly, shooting through 5 layers of denim and 4 jugs of water, and expanding the way they should. BUT, The Remington UMC JHP's were put to the same test , and was an epic FAIL. The UMC's passed through the five layers of denim, and 7 jugs of water and bounced of of the wooden backstop, totally intact, it didnt even try to expand ! I would not want that round in my weapon for self defense, It would pass completely through the the BG and possibly kill innocent bystanders or possibly my family members. I have been a gun owner for 30 years, and never claimed to know it all, that is why I joined INGO, to gain more knowledge from its members, and in the short time I have been here I have Learned ALOT ! But one member found it necessary to call me Ignorant.. Not Cool.. If I make a mistake I will be the first to admit it, and try to fix it.. that is the reason for this thread So to all of the people that pointed me in the right direction to get the info I needed , THANK YOU ! And to the guy that called me Ignorant, I'm Sorry I'm not The pinnacle of Gun and Ammo knowledge like yourself.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    It's admirable to admit your faults - I'm sure Ft. Liberty would be most understanding - they're a great group of guys! :yesway:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I figured that is what you ran up against. A good rule of thumb is that quality self defense ammo costs around a buck a round. Some a little less, some a little more.

This is why I was pissed when Double Tap substituted cheap bullets in their "self defense" ammo. Not only was it blatantly misleading advertising (they advertised the bullets as a much higher quality brand) so I was paying a lot more than I would have had I known it was a plinking bullet, but then I was relying on that type of bullet to perform to specs. This is why I still won't buy anything with their name on it.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Rep sent for taking the time to post a follow-up thread that will help others to understand the difference in ammo types and to clear up your comments regarding Fort Liberty firearms. :yesway:

Fort Liberty

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    To all who followed the original thread...
    Thank you for your support. I was following the conversation and just when I was getting ready to jump in, the issue was resolved.
    To Brick House...
    Thanks for taking time to start this thread. I sincerely hope that you are satisfied with my store, our service, and your product.
    To All...I can offer some information about the original product in question. The Rem. UHD is a Golden Sabre round in different cardboard. Check the ballistics and the performance as posted by Remington. They're the same. These are the second most expensive rounds I can find next to CorBon DPX. As far as my big box competitor goes, they have good ammo prices. I do my best but can't buy a box car load of 9mm all at once. It seems like everyone pretty well gets that. However, I was recently surprised to find that my 165gr. Federal EFMJ .40 priced at $14.00 per 50 kills their .40 cal prices and 9mm at $13.99 is under them too.

Thanks for your support. Thanks for being customers. I appreciate all of you.
    Scott

Brick House

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Plainfield IN.
    Sorry Scott, I should have done a little research, before I posted something negitive, I do like your store and your gun prices, And everyone is very friendly and helpful every time I stop in. My next gun purchace will be a .40 Cal XDM, and I will only buy it from Fort Liberty. Keep up the good work and again..I'm Sorry .

bman1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Huntington, Indiana
    Ignorant means un-informed. You were ignorant and I was as well until you posted this thread. Thanks for the good information. We're both a little less ignorant!

Rocket57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    In denial
    My own experience with Fort Liberty has been nothing but good. I would gladly pay a buck or 2 more for a box of 9mm from them than Wally World. We NEED gun shops like this for our hobby. :yesway:

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    After posting a thread about paying too much for self defense ammo, At Fort Librty Guns In Avon, $25 for 25 rounds of Remington Ultimate Home Defense, I bought 100 rounds of Remington UMC 230Gr. JHP for $39.97 At Walmart and thought I got a smoking deal, because the rounds looked almost identical to The UHD rounds. But upon the advice of the INGO Members , I went to You Tube and watched the videos of people testing the different rounds. The Ultimate Home Defense rounds Performed flawlessly, shooting through 5 layers of denim and 4 jugs of water, and expanding the way they should. BUT, The Remington UMC JHP's were put to the same test , and was an epic FAIL. The UMC's passed through the five layers of denim, and 7 jugs of water and bounced of of the wooden backstop, totally intact, it didnt even try to expand ! I would not want that round in my weapon for self defense, It would pass completely through the the BG and possibly kill innocent bystanders or possibly my family members. I have been a gun owner for 30 years, and never claimed to know it all, that is why I joined INGO, to gain more knowledge from its members, and in the short time I have been here I have Learned ALOT ! But one member found it necessary to call me Ignorant.. Not Cool.. If I make a mistake I will be the first to admit it, and try to fix it.. that is the reason for this thread So to all of the people that pointed me in the right direction to get the info I needed , THANK YOU ! And to the guy that called me Ignorant, I'm Sorry I'm not The pinnacle of Gun and Ammo knowledge like yourself.
    It takes, a REAL MAN, to admit fault, on the internet, like this, you must be a stand up guy.....

Brick House

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Plainfield IN.
    I hope everyone understands the reason I was confused is , Both of the rounds were Remington 230Gr. JHP. and when you sit them both side by side they look almost identical, except the UMC round has a brass casing, and the UHD round has a silver casing. I would like to post a pic of the two rounds so you can see what I mean, but I am unable to post pics, It tells me I'm not allowed to on my User CP

windellmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    Hey Brick House you might try shooting that Walmart stuff back to back with the higher end ammo and see if it goes on target the same way. It might be a cheap option to practice with ammo that shoots just like your HD rounds.

Kelzo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    I have done a little business with Fort Liberty. I was always satisfied with what I paid. We need to support our locally owned shops.

Top Bottom