• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jamin

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Bluffton
    Well today may be the day. My old faithful White Mountain 6qt Electric might just be done. Had some trouble with the post in the bucket that the canister sits on last year, repaired that. But, I think the motor is on its way out.

What ice cream makers have you had excellent luck with. I don’t mind crying once and buying once for good quality.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Well today may be the day. My old faithful White Mountain 6qt Electric might just be done. Had some trouble with the post in the bucket that the canister sits on last year, repaired that. But, I think the motor is on its way out.

What ice cream makers have you had excellent luck with. I don’t mind crying once and buying once for good quality.
    I have a white mountain that my ex bought when we were married. I ended up with it, I really like it. I would order a replacement motor or see if I can get one from Grainger or another electric motor supply house.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Holy :poop: They look nice, and are priced nice too. One has to love that Amish air powered one. I don't remember what she paid for the White that I have, its been a few years decades now.
    There is a store locally up here that sells them. They appear to be very well made.

I like the one that takes common cordless power tool batteries.

They also sell a replacement motor and bucket for White Mountains...

Immergood - Replacement For White Mountain Ice Cream Freezer - Insulated, (2022 Update Polly Tub) With Hardware

Oakware - Electric Motor For Ice Cream Maker - Fits White Mountain Freezer

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    You may not believe this, but I got a relatively cheap Nostalgia, Chinese, I imagine, ice cream maker about 8 years ago and it ran well for 7 years. In a slow year, I would make 6 or 7 gallons, but in about 4 of those 7 years, I made about 20 gallons in a year with several birthdays and holidays, but events also made 10-12 gallons for. The motor burned out after 7 years, but it cost about $25.00 to get a new motor unit.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    My only experience was with Stoelting (frozen custard) machines. Probably overkill for a family.

My favorite was the 3 head unit.
    The 2 head unit at the old pen pike location didn't like me and snapped its belt one day.

The one in Conseco fieldhouse worked great but was slow.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    You may not believe this, but I got a relatively cheap Nostalgia, Chinese, I imagine, ice cream maker about 8 years ago and it ran well for 7 years. In a slow year, I would make 6 or 7 gallons, but in about 4 of those 7 years, I made about 20 gallons in a year with several birthdays and holidays, but events also made 10-12 gallons for. The motor burned out after 7 years, but it cost about $25.00 to get a new motor unit.
    We have three smaller ones, 2qt, that we picked up at garage sales over the years. They work OK. But the motors are weak. You end up with barely soft serve consistency.

63PGP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2018
    Boone
    My wife recently picked up a Ninja and she loves it. You make the mixture and freeze it. Then the machine is used to whip it.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    We have three smaller ones, 2qt, that we picked up at garage sales over the years. They work OK. But the motors are weak. You end up with barely soft serve consistency.
    Mine is 4 qt and if I let it run until the motor almost stops, the consistency is thicker than soft serve, but it has to be put in the freezer to give it the final firm.

...which probably explains why the motor burned out after 100+ gallons.....but $25 bucks every 7 or so years is within my means.

After I finish a couple of projects (I can hear my wife laughing from here) I want to build a setup that either runs on a belt from my old Allis Chalmers, or off an old hit and miss engine- in that case, I think I'll pony up for an Immergood hand crank model suitably geared down to hand crank speed.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    This is what I have been using for several years.

Does anyone have any good recipes, I have been doing the super easy chocolate frosty knock off recipe for years wouldn't mind trying some new ones.

Frosty Knockoff
    1/2 gallon premium chocolate milk, the thick stuff
    14oz can swettend condensed milk
    8oz tub of cool whip

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    This is what I have been using for several years.

Does anyone have any good recipes, I have been doing the super easy chocolate frosty knock off recipe for years wouldn't mind trying some new ones.

Frosty Knockoff
    1/2 gallon premium chocolate milk, the thick stuff
    14oz can swettend condensed milk
    8oz tub of cool whip
    I just use the recipes in the instructions sometimes with other flavors added and stuff like chips or cookies or crushed candy canes...but I will be using your recipe.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I just use the recipes in the instructions sometimes with other flavors added and stuff like chips or cookies or crushed candy canes...but I will be using your recipe.
    Mom always made a strawberry mix when I was a kid. Still the best strawberry ice cream I've ever had. Especially good after working up a sweat hand cranking the ice cream maker in the summer!

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Mine is 4 qt and if I let it run until the motor almost stops, the consistency is thicker than soft serve, but it has to be put in the freezer to give it the final firm.

...which probably explains why the motor burned out after 100+ gallons.....but $25 bucks every 7 or so years is within my means.

After I finish a couple of projects (I can hear my wife laughing from here) I want to build a setup that either runs on a belt from my old Allis Chalmers, or off an old hit and miss engine- in that case, I think I'll pony up for an Immergood hand crank model suitably geared down to hand crank speed.
    As a kid one of my guncles was a tinkerer, he was always building something,
    I was talking today with my older brother about making ice cream and he said that somewhere is a churner that guncle Albert made that was about 4 gallons, I remember the alum 5 gallon tubs being in one of the freezers, but I was never around when he was churning it.
    I used to see a father and son at some of the local car shows that had belt drive churners on a small trailer that used a hit and miss to power them.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    ...After I finish a couple of projects (I can hear my wife laughing from here) I want to build a setup that either runs on a belt from my old Allis Chalmers, or off an old hit and miss engine- in that case, I think I'll pony up for an Immergood hand crank model suitably geared down to hand crank speed.
    I think they make one already set up for that, with a large pulley on the side.

If not, you can always go for this 5 gallon monster. It'll only set you back $1500...

CF20P-5.png

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I honestly hate this place. It used to be an old school, 3 story hardware store.

Now it's a place your wife goes to spend insane amounts of money on s**t you don't even need cause it's super cute. :rolleyes:

Neighbors Mercantile Co
    My ex has family in Wooster, OH and when visiting she would always stop in at Lemans Non Electric Store near by, she was big on Aladdin Lamps.

Top Bottom