• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    With the cold snap on here in central IN might just be able to ice fish this weekend. Anyone else giving it a try yet??

I've never been, and to be honest, there is nothing less appealing to me than going out on frozen water, on a cold day, sitting and waiting for cold wet fish.

I'm starting to shiver just thinking about it!!!! But hey, if you're into it then God bless ya, hope you have a great time and get lots of fish.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I've never been, and to be honest, there is nothing less appealing to me than going out on frozen water, on a cold day, sitting and waiting for cold wet fish.

I'm starting to shiver just thinking about it!!!! But hey, if you're into it then God bless ya, hope you have a great time and get lots of fish.

You must have never eaten fresh fish caught through the ice. Nothing better!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Please report back! This may be the year I'm prompted to hit the ice.

I just thawed a pound of last spring's crappy. :rockwoot:

Any place in particular you guys prefer buying your ice fishing gear?

draketungsten

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2012
    Hendricks Co.
    I've thought about taking up ice fishing this year and was happy to see the cold snap happen. However, since I'll just be starting out in this I'm not ready to plunk down $400+ for a flasher. Obviously ice fishing has been done for thousands of years before flashers were invited.

How much does a flasher actually help? Anybody know where you can rent one? Like I said, I'm not ready to put that much down for something I will only use with ice fishing and seldomly.

rherron9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    I've thought about taking up ice fishing this year and was happy to see the cold snap happen. However, since I'll just be starting out in this I'm not ready to plunk down $400+ for a flasher. Obviously ice fishing has been done for thousands of years before flashers were invited.

How much does a flasher actually help? Anybody know where you can rent one? Like I said, I'm not ready to put that much down for something I will only use with ice fishing and seldomly.

i don't use a flasher. i know a lot of guys that do and they wouldn't fish without one. i don't get on hard water enough to justify the expense. that being said me and a buddy fished summit 2 yrs ago. the guy next to us had a flasher. he was not happy as we kept pulling up gills and he never got a bite. if you plan on fishing deep water or where fish are suspended i'd say it would help a ton. i usually fish shallow (12 ft and less). try to find cover (weeds) and jig away. i usually only catch gills and crappie.

sly14

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    I have not been ice fishing for the last 2 years. Would love to go. I have a vexlar flasher and I use it when crappie fishing. It allows you to find the suspended fish. they are very helpful.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    Don't know about ice fishing this year.....With the crazy temps I definitely wouldn't trust the ice......60 degree Tuesday, 20 degree Thursday .......CRAZY!

draketungsten

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2012
    Hendricks Co.
    It wasn't bad out by me on Saturday, but still not thick enough though. I was getting excited that maybe it would be good enough in a few days.

It's going to be in the 60's tomorrow. What the...

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    My dad has been hitting a small farm pond and killing the gills and bass. I didnt think the ice was thick enough but he doesnt weigh very much and can get away with four inches or so.

Still too risky for me and I have not been out in several years. I bought a new snow blower two years ago and have yet to start it. Glad I didnt go for the new auger and gear this year. Sucks!

Top Bottom