• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • comanche

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2013
    OK, I have an oak tree that has been totally dead for 2 years and need to remove it. Problem is the tree about 50' tall and only 20' from the house so I need to drop it in the lake. I waited to have a cold winter so it would fall on the ice and could go out and cut it up to remove it. Since this year has been so cold and we haven't had a day above 32 in a while I decided it was time. I fell the tree yesterday and was going to cut it up today. Anyway, I went out on the ice today and my boots were dropping about 4" through the snow. Then I noticed water. I took my axe and cleaned away the snow and there was about 4" of water. There was ice below that but jezzz...I backed off nice and easy. Has anyone been ice fishing and checked what the thickness of the ice is? I found it hard to believe there was water on top like that with the below zero temps we have had. Must be the snow trapping the heat which made me question the thickness of the ice.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Yep, snow will act as an insulator.... that doesnt mean the ice isnt thick enough.... Take an ax and test the thickness.... 4 inch's or more can support a vehicle so i would think felling a tree would be fine.

You can also use your chainsaw to cut a bit and check for thickness.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Be sure there is water directly below the ice you're working on too. The lake level could have dropped and then you have suspended ice instead of floating ice. Big difference in load carrying ability.

A co-worker has a sump pump that empties into his pond about 6" below the water line. In 20 years it never had an issue but the lake froze below his pipe this year and his sump shut off. The things you don't expect...

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I would suspect that the tree cracked a section of ice and the weight lowered that section so that now there is water over it.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I would suspect that the tree cracked a section of ice and the weight lowered that section so that now there is water over it.

I ahve the same thought. A tree that size is going to have a lot of kinetic energy when it hits the ice.

Top Bottom