Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    This law is wrong and does no good for anyone. Every LEO has a huge amount of discrestion in the performance of his job. A clerk at a liquor store should as well. Old people should be able to roll in and buy a six pack and not be carded like it Nazi Germany. Stores selling to minors are still doing it. This is all about bullying the honest storekeeper and law abiding citizens to pretend they are doing their job. Illegal immigration could be stopped if we wanted to do so. It is obvious the govt. does not want it stopped.

hunter_47443

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Greene Co.
    I'll tell you one better...I stopped off at a liquor store at Switz City to get a couple of 6 packs. First time & last time I'll do business there.
    Not only did I show my ID but the lady behind the counter wrote my name & address in a tablet.:xmad:
    Asked her-WTF are you doing? She said keeping a record of who comes in for her Boss!

popeye

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Deepest, darkest, Indiana
    This Law was passed in Error and was linked to a Sunday Sales Law for Micro Breweries which DID NOT PASS. The author of the Bill has pledged to remove it next session because it was Passed in Error and Not Written in Final Draft as He had intended. The Law was to read that ID would be Required if the Buyer appeared Younger than 35 for Micro Brewery Carry Out Sales ONLY. The same as Tobacco, Spray Paint, or by the drink sales.

I'm thinking this is true. The law is so stupid. The only issue is, if it has produced revenue to any extent might state lawmakers think twice about repealing it? Also would any fees imposed have to be refunded should the law be repealed?

Last edited:

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    This Law was passed in Error and was linked to a Sunday Sales Law for Micro Breweries which DID NOT PASS. The author of the Bill has pledged to remove it next session because it was Passed in Error and Not Written in Final Draft as He had intended. The Law was to read that ID would be Required if the Buyer appeared Younger than 35 for Micro Brewery Carry Out Sales ONLY. The same as Tobacco, Spray Paint, or by the drink sales.

This is the part that really enrages me. I've read various articles where he says it was done in error and that in their haste to make last minute changes they didn't catch the wording. The authors of the bill and everyone who voted for it should resign their positions in shame. These are the persons charged with the sacred duty of representing the people and they passed a law in error.

Indiana drinkers: Get ready to show your ID | WSBT - News, Weather, Sports South Bend | Local News

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    This is the part that really enrages me. I've read various articles where he says it was done in error and that in their haste to make last minute changes they didn't catch the wording. The authors of the bill and everyone who voted for it should resign their positions in shame. These are the persons charged with the sacred duty of representing the people and they passed a law in error.

Indiana drinkers: Get ready to show your ID | WSBT - News, Weather, Sports South Bend | Local News

Sounds like our US Congress :xmad:

Mokkie

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2010
    No it is fear of what the government will do to them. This one lady that works at the liquor store I go to tell me. If caught she is fined the owner is fined and I think she said she would have to be suspended for three days. I'm not sure if it is her boss or the state.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    The store I work in has noticed that after the law went into affect there was a huge decrease in the number of mexicans that came in. and now we only have alcohol deliveries once a month instead of 4 times. Mexicans not being able to purchase alcohol because they don't have a valid ID is definitely effecting our alcohol sales.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    The store I work in has noticed that after the law went into affect there was a huge decrease in the number of mexicans that came in. and now we only have alcohol deliveries once a month instead of 4 times. Mexicans not being able to purchase alcohol because they don't have a valid ID is definitely effecting our alcohol sales.
    So, this silly law is bad for business?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Mokkie is correct. It is fear of what the over-controlling over-sized government will do to them. I was really funny to watch the poor server ask my father for his ID. My dad is a veteran of WORLD WAR II !!!!!!!!! At least he laughed about it in front of the server, but later said that was what Nazis were doing in Europe before WE put a stop to it. It made him sick to see what this country has become.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I'm thinking anybody that walks in the door might be subject to "carding". I wonder if they card people that only go in to buy lottery tickets. Fines are pretty high I here. I go in the local liquor store often enough I don't get I.D.ed. I wonder if "he's a regular" would satisfy excise if they saw me buy without being I.D.ed.? Fines on everything around here are up. At least Indiana is not as bad off as Illinois (AFAIK). They're laying of police over there. Calumet City laid off 12 cops and from what I've just read the crimes per capita has overtaken Gary.

Anybody that walks in the store is eligible to be carded, if you are with someone that is purchasing they are supposed to card you too.
    If you walk in there everyday and have known them for twenty years or if it is your dad they are supposed to card you. It is a completely ridiculous law with the only good thing being illegals are being hassled.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    So, this silly law is bad for business?

more or less, we have also noticed that not as many condoms are being stolen, we were having 15-25 packs a condoms stolen a week, now we are at like 5-10 stolen a week. when god closes a door he opens a window i guess. :):

popeye

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Anybody that walks in the store is eligible to be carded, if you are with someone that is purchasing they are supposed to card you too.
    If you walk in there everyday and have known them for twenty years or if it is your dad they are supposed to card you. It is a completely ridiculous law with the only good thing being illegals are being hassled.

Come to think of it, I haven't seen many mexicans in the store lately. What would a mexican do with a condom?

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    This one has a friend of mine absolutely livid. A group of us go out of dinner and a couple of beers every Wednesday at a local micro and they started enforcing this pretty early, May or early June, I think!

Talk about a total waste of time and effort. Carding a bunch of 55+ yo adults with graying hair who have been coming to your establishment for something like 2 years or more and are known by name.

This, from the news articles is what comes from Our Legislators feeling the need to "do something" about a perceived problem. Pass a law and THEN realize you screwed it up? Come on!

popeye

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    I only buy beer from one local liquor store. The girl behind the counter said she was told a $10K fine was involved for every violation. It could be that number was inflated by the owner/mgr. to scare her into carding everyone. They have security video running all the time. I told her she better card me everytime as the excise agents might ask to review the tapes. She doesn't seem to care. If the law in anyway irritates illegals, I say let it stay. I wonder how liquor stores in Whiting and East Chicago are doing.

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    Just got an update concerning the new show your ID for alcohol purchase from the owner of several liquor stores here in Evansville. He told me that his sales are down since the law took effect, but not from irritated folks like me. He says that most of the Mexicans (I;m guess illegal ones) have quit coming to his stores because they have no valid ID.

That beings the case,I dont mine the law as bad anymore. Lest something good came out of that law.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Just got an update concerning the new show your ID for alcohol purchase from the owner of several liquor stores here in Evansville. He told me that his sales are down since the law took effect, but not from irritated folks like me. He says that most of the Mexicans (I;m guess illegal ones) have quit coming to his stores because they have no valid ID.

Sweet! I had never considered that when I heard about the new rules. Smart idea even though showing ID ticks off the citizens.

That beings the case,I dont mine the law as bad anymore. Lest something good came out of that law.

WOO HOO! If there is anything that I love more than endless government bull*hit, it is less sales for local businesses!!

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Strange, the illegals in Marion County do not seem to have a problem obtaining DL's, SSN #'s, Free Legal Aid, Bail, Jobs, Free Medical Care, Housing and many other Government Tax Payer Supported Hand Outs :noway:

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    I work at a liquor store. Our policy is to card everyone that enters, regardless. Just show your ID and move on. I see NO reason why it is such a big "inconvienience" and "hassle" to everyone that complains about it. Do you not always have your ID with you when you operate a vehicle? You wouuldn't believe the crap I've had to put up with, like it was me that made the law ????? And yes, Excise is looking for ANY source of revenue, such as sending in middle aged people and having them buy ice, cigarettes, chips, in hopes that we wont card them. The punishment you ask? I pay a $500 fine and get fired from my job. Sorry whiners you're not worth it.

Top Bottom