• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MtnBiker6510

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    My brother, who is a Federal LEO is visiting from Idaho. In Idaho he doesn't have a permit to carry as he doesn't need one (from what he says).
    Can he carry in Indiana?

I have been back and forth through Handgunlaw.us and OpenCarry.org and am just more confused.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Can't he carry pretty much anywhere under LEOSA?

Here is the Indiana statute.

IC 35-47-2-1
    Carrying a handgun without a license or by a person convicted of domestic battery; exceptions

*snip irrelevant stuff*

IC 35-47-2-2

Excepted persons
    Sec. 2. Section 1 of this chapter does not apply to:
    (1) marshals;
    (2) sheriffs;
    (3) the commissioner of the department of correction or persons authorized by the commissioner in writing to carry firearms;
    (4) judicial officers;
    (5) law enforcement officers;
    (6) members of the armed forces of the United States or of the national guard or organized reserves while they are on duty;
    (7) regularly enrolled members of any organization duly authorized to purchase or receive such weapons from the United States or from this state who are at or are going to or from their place of assembly or target practice;
    (8) employees of the United States duly authorized to carry handguns;
    (9) employees of express companies when engaged in company business; or
    (10) any person engaged in the business of manufacturing,
    repairing, or dealing in firearms or the agent or representative of any such person having in the person's possession, using, or carrying a handgun in the usual or ordinary course of that business.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.164-2011, SEC.2.

Last edited:

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    As an LEO, esp as a FED........he can carry in Indiana, but he should already know that.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Pretty sure he can carry anywhere he wants to just make sure he keeps his LEO badge or credentials with him and he is G2G.

There are still some restrictions on LEOSA with regards to states' local restrictions (from Wikipedia, which I admit is not an authority):

Conflict between LEOSA and other laws

Although the general effect of LEOSA is to override state and local law, this is subject to limitations. LEOSA does not override:[3][4][5]

• state laws permitting private property owners from limiting or prohibiting the carrying of concealed weapons on their property (such as public bars, private clubs, and places such as amusement parks)
    • state laws prohibiting carrying concealed weapons on state or local government property (such as courthouses, schools or parks)

None of that is really applicable to Indiana, though, since Indiana allows LEO to carry virtually anywhere.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Scutter, I wold have to disagree on the second part but that is just my opinion. I thought LEOs could carry in schools and gov property. There might be something else (perhaps state laws?) that supercedes or allows it.

Nevermind, your edit answered it probably.

MtnBiker6510

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks for the prompt answers. Exactly what I needed. He's my little brother and he doesn't always use his head, just assumes alot of things and acts. Trying to make sure he's covered. His answer to my question was: "I can carry anywhere":ugh:

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Thanks for the prompt answers. Exactly what I needed. He's my little brother and he doesn't always use his head, just assumes alot of things and acts. Trying to make sure he's covered. His answer to my question was: "I can carry anywhere":ugh:

Depending on what sort of federal agent he is and what he is doing, his response may not be far off... Because of the supremacy clause, there are very real limitations on how the states may regulate a person authorized by federal law to carry a firearm.

Odds are he does not need LEOSA or Indiana's statutory exemption.

Best,

Joe

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Depending on what sort of federal agent he is and what he is doing, his response may not be far off... Because of the supremacy clause, there are very real limitations on how the states may regulate a person authorized by federal law to carry a firearm.

Odds are he does not need LEOSA or Indiana's statutory exemption.

Best,

Joe

A close friend is a Customs and Border Agent. He can OC at his leisure. If any question comes up he can state any suspicion of contraband or questionable activity and he is golden. Nice guy to pal around with and an upstanding man of character.

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    He can carry through a TSA checkpoint, give them a "nah nah naaaaaaaah" and get on a plane and go for a plane ride if he is a Federal Agent authorized to carry a firearm. So yes, he'd be able to carry in Indiana.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    He can carry through a TSA checkpoint, give them a "nah nah naaaaaaaah" and get on a plane and go for a plane ride if he is a Federal Agent authorized to carry a firearm. So yes, he'd be able to carry in Indiana.

double post

Last edited:

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

On the whole FED LEOSA thing. I work for a Federal agency and am a firarms instructor. Most Federal officers/agents are not covered to walk on to a comercial plane while armed off duty. You "generally" have to be trained in the flight officers program and have a "need" ie duty etc to carry in most cases. There are/were a few agencies that could in the past. FBI was one however, they (FAA) has made that harder to do by requiring agency letter head etc. Most agencies issue a specific number to each officer for tracking purposes on the paperwork and if they (officer) carries when not authorized the paperwork will catch up and a whole OIG investigation will be started onn that officer.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Can an off-duty police officer carry in a school/gov't building?

Schools:

IC 35-47-9
    Chapter 9. Possession of Firearms on School Property and School Buses

IC 35-47-9-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:
    (1) A:
    (A) federal;
    (B) state; or
    (C) local;
    law enforcement officer.

(2) A person who has been employed or authorized by:
    (A) a school; or
    (B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school function;
    to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function, or participate in any other activity authorized by a school.
    (3) A person who:
    (A) may legally possess a firearm; and
    (B) possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being operated by the person to transport another person to or from a school or a school function.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.11.

Top Bottom