• Poll for interest

• Total voters

DaddyFixSemi

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    Princeton, In
    My wife and i looked at guns for her today and as we were leaving she got this idea for a "shoot (or aim) for a cure" for breast cancer. Her mom and several family friends are breast cancer survivors with her mom recently going back into submission with a brain tumor.

She has asked me to see how many would be up for such an idea or if there is one already like this? i support the research but i don't care to participate in such events as " race for a cure",or bowling etc. but this is something that i would consider actively being a part of.

what are you opinions? Please keep this in mind that it is just an idea at this time.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Organization, location, safety, support, and funding. Figure those out and I think you have a golden idea on your hands.

TheFireArmorer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Bloomington
    Just an idea...

Maybe you could get together a group of people who own automatic, silenced, exotic, or rare guns. Set up a day at a range that will allow these types of firearms and ask for donations to fire these weapons. Also, you could charge a premium for ammunition and keep the profit for donation/ compensating the gun owners for the usage of their firearms. I'm sure many would donate the usage of their guns to support the cause.

Also, add a little competion. Set up some steel matches, bulleseye, etc. and charge an entry fee. You would want to come up with some prizes but most of those could be donations also. Not only would the event be a great time, but would also be helping a cause.

My sister set up a fundraiser for one of her friends battling cancer. It was amazing how many people donated food, a banquet hall, a band played for free, contests with donated prizes. She made around $4,000 for her friend's treatment, all without spending more that $300.

You've got a great idea, i say run with it.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    I agree with IndyGunner, get those details ironed out, and I'm sure you could get at least a couple hundred people involved... you may want to consider a multi-location event coordinated with different ranges throughout the state... contact Fenway before hand for clearance to organize it through INGO, and maybe even have INGO as a supporter?

Also, contact the Charity that the donations will be going to and get them to assist in the organization/advertising/fundraising portions.

I'm sure you could probably twist a few site advertisers into donations for door-prizes, etc that would bolster interest.

Commendable idea by the way. :+1: to your wife!

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I'm for it, but I would add this word of caution.

Investigate thoroughly the organization that proceeds will be going to. I used to work for the company that does all the fullfillment for Komen and also sells their "product" at their events. Because of this I learned that a VERY SMALL PERCENTAGE of funds raised actually makes its way to cancer research. Quite a bit of it goes to pay salaries for its upper echelon execs, their travel, etc. Then there is advertising, donations to political parties, planned parenthood, an other organizations that have very little to do with actual research.
    I was surprised and disheartened, which led me to start looking into other 'Charity' organizations and their finances. What I found was pretty shocking in a lot of cases. I did discover this, however...The Salvation Army runs an overhead of less than 10% of their donations, which means that 90% goes toward actually assisting people.

My wife is a survivor as well, having been diagnosed early. She was a big supporter of Komen, as one might expect, until we started learning what went on behind the scenes. :(

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Im another one for location. For example: To be completely honest, I cant see myself driving to Bloomington for an event (that is around 3 hours each way for me).....

Location first and foremost will help in establishing interest.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Great suggestions in this thread! I think that safety issues will get handled if you have a club host the event, as RSOs and rules will be provided with the venue.
    One question is who are you trying to have as participants? If you're trying to reach the general public, having classes and instruction available would make the event work as both a fundraiser and pro-gun PR. If the target audience is gun owners, than mixing in some competition would be great. either way, it would be good to have some variety: trap, bowling pins or steel, etc..

MFCG might be a good place since it could offer variety: trap, pistol, small bore rifle. Eagle Creek's advantage is that it has separate bays where there could be classes going on simultaneously with other shooting.

Thanks to your wife for thinking of this.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    It's a good idea and there is some precedent for it. The club in Pendleton (Fall Creek Cons Club) if I named that correctly, has held a trap shoot for breast cancer.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    It is a good idea. My wife is on the Board of Directors for the NWI March of Dimes, and we have discussed the same idea.

Another thing to check is whether the charity is open to guns.

Insurance will be one big hurdle.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I agree with IndyGunner, get those details ironed out, and I'm sure you could get at least a couple hundred people involved... you may want to consider a multi-location event coordinated with different ranges throughout the state... contact Fenway before hand for clearance to organize it through INGO, and maybe even have INGO as a supporter?

Also, contact the Charity that the donations will be going to and get them to assist in the organization/advertising/fundraising portions.

I'm sure you could probably twist a few site advertisers into donations for door-prizes, etc that would bolster interest.

Commendable idea by the way. :+1: to your wife!

I think this is an excellent idea and having multiple locations might encourage more participation overall. I also agree with the caveat about choosing the charity carefully (not necessarily Komen). I'm pretty sure there is info out there about various charities and the percentage of donations that go into administrative/advertising cost vs. going to the actual "cause". Not all charities are created equal.

marcweid

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Avon, IN
    I think you will be amazed with the turn out. Cancer has touched nearly everyone in one way or another. I donate to several events even though I don't participate. I donate just because cancer touches us all. I would love to be part of this and I would even help any way I could. Please keep me in mind if you want to move forward with this. I think location would be easy, just have several all around the state. I think most ranges would be totally up for this. It's good advertising for them. As long as people pay an admission to the range which would hopefully be discounted or profits going to cause the ranges insurance should cover that as normal. I am sure you could come up with many raffles, prizes, etc from many sources. You could do several competitons with small trophies or patches for winners. I think it just needs to stay simple and for a cause. Even shirts will make great profit. We get our very nice company shirts for less than $10 each and we only buy 25 at a time. Selling them for $15 to $20 each you could make a great profit. People would buy these even if they can't attend the event. But I really think most people would show up to simply support the cause. For example how many people actually "race" for the cure. Most people could just take a walk around the neighborhood and take a walk. It's really about just supporting a cause.

Again let me know if you really start to think seriously about this and I would love to help and be part of this.

Bigshep

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    New Albany
    I'd be up for some participating depending on location. The multi location idea is great because tbh if it would be up in Indy or further, I wouldn't be going for the simple fact that its too far away for me. If you get serious about it and actually do it being able to get INGO to sponsor it somehow would be great; for the event and the forum. Keep us all updated if you can (and you actually do it)

Top Bottom